Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best use of the Dayton DC160-8 6-1/2" Classic Woofer

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Best use of the Dayton DC160-8 6-1/2" Classic Woofer

    What, in your opinions, do you feel is the best use of the Dayton DC160-8 6-1/2" Classic Woofer?

    2-way
    3-way
    Paper Weight

    The DIII gets alot of attention as good for the money, but is the the best use of this driver?

    I would like to hear your opinions.

    Thanks for your input.

  • #2
    Re: Best use of the Dayton DC160-8 6-1/2" Classic Woofer

    Originally posted by KeithL View Post
    What, in your opinions, do you feel is the best use of the Dayton DC160-8 6-1/2" Classic Woofer?

    2-way
    3-way
    Paper Weight

    The DIII gets alot of attention as good for the money, but is the the best use of this driver?

    I would like to hear your opinions.

    Thanks for your input.
    Get the DA175 instead.
    R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
    Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

    95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
    "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Best use of the Dayton DC160-8 6-1/2" Classic Woofer

      I agree with Pete that the DA175 is a much better driver and would lend itself to many more build options. That being said I built KenA's UBT's a while back and thought they sounded good (http://www.parts-express.com/project...fm?project=UBT). They are not the cheapest to build but I am a big fan of sealed enclosure designs.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Best use of the Dayton DC160-8 6-1/2" Classic Woofer

        Get the DA175 instead.
        I already own 4 of them.
        I am hoping to get some insight as to their optimal xover point as many have said that their midrange is not that great.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Best use of the Dayton DC160-8 6-1/2" Classic Woofer

          Originally posted by KeithL View Post
          Paper Weight
          :eek: THat's a little harsh; although I know there are some guys around here who think that. On the other hand, there are a lot of average joes in the world who aren't looking for pristine midrange, and whenever I show a DC160 design to one of them, they are just amazed... mostly because of the bass.

          The driver might work better in a 3-way; I have one design in my imagination that I hope to attempt in the next year using it as such. In the meantime, I'm satisfied with how my Classix design turned out. I still have a few more on-hand, so I might try another 2-way with them as well.
          Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

          Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
          Twitter: @undefinition1

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Best use of the Dayton DC160-8 6-1/2" Classic Woofer

            With four of them, build the DIII and enjoy the bass. If you are concerned about the midrange quality, then sell them and buy better mid-woofers.

            I recommended the BR-1 to my neighbor and we both do not like how they sound. YMMV.
            Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Best use of the Dayton DC160-8 6-1/2" Classic Woofer

              Originally posted by KeithL View Post
              I already own 4 of them.
              I am hoping to get some insight as to their optimal xover point as many have said that their midrange is not that great.
              Think of them as woofers. I'd suggest crossing them to a mid at 250 Hz, although you probably could squeak them a bit higher if you had to. In this capacity they sould perform quite well.

              C
              Curt's Speaker Design Works

              "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
              - Aristotle

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Best use of the Dayton DC160-8 6-1/2" Classic Woofer

                Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post
                :eek: THat's a little harsh; although I know there are some guys around here who think that. On the other hand, there are a lot of average joes in the world who aren't looking for pristine midrange, and whenever I show a DC160 design to one of them, they are just amazed... mostly because of the bass.

                The driver might work better in a 3-way; I have one design in my imagination that I hope to attempt in the next year using it as such. In the meantime, I'm satisfied with how my Classix design turned out. I still have a few more on-hand, so I might try another 2-way with them as well.

                Just a little humor.

                What is the xover point for the Classix?

                Would it be difficult to do an mtm or a 2.5 based off of your design?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Best use of the Dayton DC160-8 6-1/2" Classic Woofer

                  Originally posted by curt_c View Post
                  Think of them as woofers. I'd suggest crossing them to a mid at 250 Hz, although you probably could squeak them a bit higher if you had to. In this capacity they sould perform quite well.

                  C
                  Curt,

                  Using WinISD gives me an spl of 89.6 @ 250hz with 2 drivers. Would I look for a mid with the same rating to avoid attenuation?
                  I am also looking to incorporate the Dayton Silkies. What is your recommendation for xover point for these?

                  Thanks for your input.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Best use of the Dayton DC160-8 6-1/2" Classic Woofer

                    I know the BR-1's are fairly popular. And Dennis Murphy over at murphyblaster.com has re-worked the xo that improves the mids to make that design more acceptable.
                    If dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Best use of the Dayton DC160-8 6-1/2" Classic Woofer

                      Originally posted by the kid View Post
                      I know the BR-1's are fairly popular. And Dennis Murphy over at murphyblaster.com has re-worked the xo that improves the mids to make that design more acceptable.
                      I actually have a pair of the BR-1's that I am selling on Craigslist.
                      I got them in a great deal with a 10" Titanic.
                      I was not impressed with them compared to what I have as a halfbaked design with the Northcreek D-25, Dynavox 6.5", Dayton 2K 2-way xover and attenuation on the tweeter.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Best use of the Dayton DC160-8 6-1/2" Classic Woofer

                        ..."I was not impressed with them compared to what I have as a halfbaked design with the Northcreek D-25, Dynavox 6.5", Dayton 2K 2-way xover and attenuation on the tweeter."

                        oh. Nevermind.
                        If dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Best use of the Dayton DC160-8 6-1/2" Classic Woofer

                          I also recommend the DA175. Even though it is cheap, it can be used in a no-holds-barred ultimate design. It really is that good, if used properly. It has a very subtle break up, despite being a metal cone, and the motor is very high quality with low distortion(maybe not as low as a SEAS Excel or RS, but still very good). Though the stamped frame may look out of place on a high-end design speaker system.... LOL. I'm kind of surprised it has a stamped frame; it's performance is definitely in the upper range, where one would expect a cast frame.

                          The DA175 also has extraordinary performance in sealed designs. It appears to have been specifically designed for this purpose, where as most DIY avaiable drivers today are optimized for ported applications, and thus, don't do as well in sealed cabinets.

                          As for the Dayton classic.... eh... okay for a speaker meant for background music or maybe a workshop/garage speaker. Frankly, IMO, it's not good enough to warrant the trouble of building a cabinet for it...

                          -Chris

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Best use of the Dayton DC160-8 6-1/2" Classic Woofer

                            Originally posted by KeithL View Post
                            Curt,

                            Using WinISD gives me an spl of 89.6 @ 250hz with 2 drivers. Would I look for a mid with the same rating to avoid attenuation?
                            I am also looking to incorporate the Dayton Silkies. What is your recommendation for xover point for these?

                            Thanks for your input.
                            At 2.83v/1m a pair of DC160's in parallel model with nearly 92 dB of sensitivity. On a typical sized baffle of 8.5" or so, figure between 2 and 3dB of the baffle step is being handled by the woofer, leaving the rest to be handled by the mid. Consequently, look for a mid, or a pair of mids that have a combined sensitivity of 89 - 90 dB. A pair of B3N's come close to this requirement, and would provide some very nice midrange at an attractive price.

                            Although I've used them lower, IMO, the silkie's optimal point would be 2K.
                            However, if you are thinking an WMTMW, that 110 mm baffle might encroach on the available panel space. Utilizing something like the B3N's, I'd opt for one of the Dayton Neo's to allow close spacing of the mids, and a crossover around 3.5K.

                            C
                            Curt's Speaker Design Works

                            "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
                            - Aristotle

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Best use of the Dayton DC160-8 6-1/2" Classic Woofer

                              Unless I heard a design that sounded better than the BR-1's, I'd vote "paper weight".

                              My dad built a pair, and I found them very disappointing compared to my Tritrix's.

                              Of course the BR-1 is the only design I've heard with this driver, perhaps other designs make it work better.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X