18 in subwoofer for ht. pro or con

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18 in subwoofer for ht. pro or con

I recently purchased a definitive technology.D1LW subwoofer that was used in their bp 3000 tl 18 ht system.This was supposedly able to go as low as 13 hz. I have plans for a tuned port box where it is able to go to 10 hz. To me this would be perfect for ht. Now my question is why you dont see 18' used for this. Is it that they cost too much. Or is a matter of size.Is too big an amp needed?

Re: 18 in subwoofer for ht. pro or con

Do you have the T/S for this sub?

as for people not using 18" drivers too often for HT use. I haven't seen many posts here, but over at HT guide that's about all people seem to use. Mind you these people have large rooms just for HT use.

Rene
    If it doesn't fit, Force it. If it breaks, It needed replacing any ways

Comment

I can't possibly imagine integrating a 18" deep tuned sub into my living room. It might work either open back or IB.

Comment

I had to use the wall behind my couch for an IB install of the dayton rss390hf-4 > I need 3 inches of mdf to make the baffle deep enough that the sub did not stick out in the bedroom behind the HT room. Would have been nice to use an 18 but was not going to happen. I run the IB from 18hz to 50hz so an 18inch IB running from 10 hz to 50hz would have been nice!

Comment

A 10 cycle note ? thats when the pop corn you ate hits the screen,the pets start convulsions and the neighbors start legal procedures .:D

Comment

Originally posted by dotzs View Post
            A 10 cycle note ? thats when the pop corn you ate hits the screen,the pets start convulsions and the neighbors start legal procedures .:D

and that's when you know it's "just right" !:D

Comment

Kevin Haskins of Exodus Audio/DIY Cable is just about to relase a 21" version of his very popular Maelstrom-X subwoofer driver. There are quite a few 18" builds over on AVS as well. Most powered with at least 1500 watts. There are lot of Maelstrom-X builds and a fair number of people who were lucky enough to get the TC Sounds/Audiopulse 18" LMS-5400. Which by the way, a new and improved version of the LMS 18" should be back on the market in about 6 months.

Regards,

Dennis

Comment

Originally posted by djarchow View Post
                Kevin Haskins of Exodus Audio/DIY Cable is just about to relase a 21" version of his very popular Maelstrom-X subwoofer driver. There are quite a few 18" builds over on AVS as well. Most powered with at least 1500 watts. There are lot of Maelstrom-X builds and a fair number of people who were lucky enough to get the TC Sounds/Audiopulse 18" LMS-5400. Which by the way, a new and improved version of the LMS 18" should be back on the market in about 6 months.

Regards,

Dennis
                B&C has a nice looking 21" as well. Hemp also had that 25", but I don't know what happened to them.

NK
                I'm just that guy. www.sru.edu Rock Solid.

"It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion."

L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Comment

If I weren't married I might would use this...:p
                  Attached Files
                  If dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?

Comment

I would assume the reason you don't see much larger than 15" in HT is that they typically require very large boxes. That and there aren't really that many 18" HT subs available... and the ones that are tend to be quite expensive. And beyond that, unless you have a huge room, 18" drivers normally aren't necessary. A single high quality 12"-15" driver fed with adequate power should be enough to shake most any room (of course, multiple subs are always good for evening room response).

Pro sound normally uses 15" and 18" subs because they need high SPL (and high efficiency) for large venues or outdoor use.

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
                      Do you have the T/S for this sub?

as for people not using 18" drivers too often for HT use. I haven't seen many posts here, but over at HT guide that's about all people seem to use. Mind you these people have large rooms just for HT use.

Rene
                      I ordered it Wed.and it has not gotten here yet. When it does I will measure it on the wt3. I will post T/S specs and box plans.

Comment

Originally posted by the kid View Post
                        If I weren't married I might would use this...:p
                        If you werent married you better not use that. I have read reports were extended exposure to subsonics may render a man impotent and temporarily infertile !

Comment

Originally posted by CW Lindsey View Post
                          I ordered it Wed.and it has not gotten here yet. When it does I will measure it on the wt3. I will post T/S specs and box plans.
                          How many cf are you thinking? 16? a 2.5' cube ought to do

Comment

Whether or not this is a reasonable option will depend on the T/S parameters. Are there any photos of the driver itself? What was the intended use of the driver? Was it intended for PA use?

It may be a very good option or possibly a very poor one. I will not purchase a driver without T/S parameters as it leaves too much unknown.

As for 18" drivers the Exodus Audio 18" Maelstrom-x is a very linear unit that works well in many applications.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post
                              I would assume the reason you don't see much larger than 15" in HT is that they typically require very large boxes. That and there aren't really that many 18" HT subs available... and the ones that are tend to be quite expensive. And beyond that, unless you have a huge room, 18" drivers normally aren't necessary. A single high quality 12"-15" driver fed with adequate power should be enough to shake most any room (of course, multiple subs are always good for evening room response).

Pro sound normally uses 15" and 18" subs because they need high SPL (and high efficiency) for large venues or outdoor use.
                              Ehh, what?
                              Attached Files
                              18hz is scary.

Comment

Working...
                              X