replied
    Re: Erse products

whereabouts is erse?

Leave a comment:

• carlspeak
    replied

Originally posted by mzisserson View Post
    I have always been a fan of ERSE product. It is an exceptional value driven by a company with great support, and extreme knowledge.
    Are all Erse products US made?

Here's a page from the Erse site comparing their coils with others....

http://www.erseaudio.com/AudioTechCe...-Chart-XQ-Coil

Leave a comment:

• clydethecat
    replied

This week I've received inductors from both PE and Erse that appear to be of identical constuction.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Ebert
    replied

Originally posted by brianpowers27 View Post
    The online pictures are deceiving. I have ordered from both sources and the product looks the same.
    So, do they look like the ones pictured above as the PE inductors or like the Erse ones (or something different)? In the pictures above, the Erse ones look considerably nicer to me.

By the way, I (sonically) compared a Super-Q and a P-core in my Trillium crossover and I really couldn't detect a difference. I ended up going with the Super-Q, however. I did not pump a lot of power through them, though I did compare some sustained low frequencies (organ in 'The Planets').

Leave a comment:

• mzisserson
    replied

I just revieved a whole bag of goodies from ERSE for my new project. I will be posting a build thread this weekend.

I have some pulse caps, as well as their 3&6% DF NPE's. I purchased their EQ inductors as well.

Initial impressions: Pulse caps are extremely high physical quality, leads are superior to anything in their price range. Being copper, you cannot play much with them or they may snap... A trade off as always. They will have to have significantly better performance than the daytons for me to pay the extra shipping, otherwise there is no advantage to them.

The Inductors look like a typical air-core with the extecption that you can see the funky winding.

The NPEE's are amazing quality, pretty and larger than expected, but not overly big.

How all these compae sonically remains to be seen. I plan on using Super q's for my larger values as I have yet to find an inductor that works better sonically under 1Khz...even VERY expensive, CFAC's of heavy awg.

I have always been a fan of ERSE product. It is an exceptional value driven by a company with great support, and extreme knowledge.

Leave a comment:

• tpremo55
    replied

The online pictures are deceiving. I have ordered from both sources and the product looks the same.
    Fair enough.

Leave a comment:

• brianpowers27
    replied

Originally posted by tpremo55 View Post
    Could be, but I'm not convinced

Now they could certainly be made by Erse, but I'm not sure I would call them the same.

Obviously PE carries the SuperQ inductors by Erse already and I have ordered them through PE over Erse even though they were slightly more expensive.

Leave a comment:

• tpremo55
    replied

I am pretty sure the PE laminate cores are Erse products.
    Could be, but I'm not convinced.

Dayton 18ga I_core, 1.5mH (Available in 1-10mH values), 0.22ohms DCR, 5%, 250Watts, $6.51:

Erse 18ga I_core, 1.5mH (Available in 1.5-9mH values), 0.228ohms DCR, 5%, 300 Watts, $5,61:

Now they could certainly be made by Erse, but I'm not sure I would call them the same.

Obviously PE carries the SuperQ inductors by Erse already and I have ordered them through PE over Erse even though they were slightly more expensive.

Leave a comment:

• johnddaugherty
    replied

They sure look like it to me, too.

Leave a comment:

• brianpowers27
    replied

With Erse right there in Ohio - I wonder if PE has considered working with them...

Leave a comment:

• tpremo55
    replied

To round this out, I ended up placing an order with Erse directly for some of the parts for my next project. I must say that I am impressed so far. I had some questions on 8/26 at 8:45pm and submitted an email - which was answered in less than 5 minutes. A back-ordered coil was listed as "could be up to 90 days to have in stock" which if real, would have killed my order. The Erse rep responded that they would have them the following week so I placed the order expecting (reasonably) for them to hold the order until the coils came in the following week. I was surprised to get a order fulfillment and shipped confirmation on 8/27. I reviewed it assuming it would be less the back-ordered coils. A note stated that they had unwound the next value higher in the same coil line and shipped a complete order. With FedEx home shipping (the cheapest option) it is supposed to arrive 8/29 from Ohio to Iowa.

I'll measure the coils to confirm values (with the WT3) and then see (hear) how I like them, but as for customer service I'd say I'm impressed.

While I continue to (and have since 1991) look to PE first for all parts/projects/etc. and by far have sent more of my money to PE than any other supplier, I will be interested to see how these Erse products work out.

With Erse right there in Ohio - I wonder if PE has considered working with them...

Leave a comment:

• rogoll
    replied

Originally posted by lunchmoney View Post
    If the products are equivalent, I like to use PE where possible, even if it costs slightly more.

My way of saying thanks for everything I've gotten from this forum.
    I agree. I try to buy exclusively from Parts Express, unless there is a significant difference in price. Also, as another member said, you have to factor in the cost of shipping.

Now, with that said, I have made some volume purchases from Erse (resistors, caps, and coils), as well as buying some prebuilt XO's for parts and as a base starting platform for building XOs. Their quality is good, and their service is almost as good as PE's (although no one can completely match the level of service you receive from PE!).

Leave a comment:

• brianpowers27
    replied

Thanks Brian. Anything in particular that you have had experience with - that you draw your comparison to? (Jantzen, Bennic, Dayton, Solen, Clarity, etc...)?
    I think they compare well with the Dayton line. It is also nice to see high quality specs for the measurable cap parameters.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied

Thanks Brian. Anything in particular that you have had experience with - that you draw your comparison to? (Jantzen, Bennic, Dayton, Solen, Clarity, etc...)?
    While I have not used the PulseX caps, I have seen and held them. They are compact for their value, so if real estate on your boards is at a premium, then ERSE has my bet. It should also be said that Jim and the guys at ERSE are great to deal with.

As to sound, I have only heard them in one/two projects, and can't give a fair comparison there. They were not terrible on the drivers used at any rate.
    Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

Working...
X