Find of the day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Find of the day

Friend at work gave these to me. The only info I can find on them is that they are white van speakers. The only problem with that is that the drivers are too well made. The woofer magnet is large and has a vented pole. Even the horn has a large magnet. Second of all there is actually a xover (even though it is a cheap one). And third it actually sounds pretty good. Better than my old cerwin vegas. Way better than I expected and they were free.
    Any info on these? P.s They are dogg digital
    Attached Files

Re: Find of the day

http://www.audioreview.com/mfr/dogg-..._10481crx.aspx

A few customers on audioreview (not exactly a haven for educated 'philes) seem moderately happy with the brand, but a web search comes up mostly with words like "scam" and "ripoff." Perhaps the brand name constitutes unusually honest advertising

Since you got 'em for free, you can hardly complain and ask for your money back. If they sound non-hideous to you, you got yourself a good deal on some garage/workshop speakers. If the boxes look OK, you could always add some bracing/lining, and build something in them with better drivers.

Comment

Yeah the boxes are cheap. But these are not ripoff speakers. They could hold their own against peavey or other similar brands.

Comment

Hey Killa,

Have you pulled any of the drivers out to check out their construction yet? That might be the easiest way to see if they are "rip off" speakers or not.

Just a thought!
        Remember, the outside of every silver lining is a cloud.

Comment

Yep (see above post). I should have taken pics. Drivers look like quality drivers except that ugly shiny mid. The mid is built decently it's just ugly.

Comment

Those woofs look suspiciously like many we've seen before but with a horrible logo on the dustcap. If the build quality is the same they're probably Eminence - they'll make a driver to your spec if you buy enough of them. And they'll put a cheezy logo on it too. Remember "Thruster", with the lightning bolt, or the Pyramid "Super Pro"? I have some DJ speakers with those in them and they're not all that bad - but then again I know how to build a real crossover....

Comment

Those look nice enough as a set of garage / party speakers... big speakers are fun if you have the need and the space. Many years back I used to have a set of 3 way Technics with the 15" woofers. I'm still not sure why anyone would need something that big and loud, but they didn't sound terrible once I installed some Peerless tweeters.

Comment

i too had a pair of technics 15" woofers a mid and two tweets and had a pushbutton to turn off one of the tweets. i used them for more then twenty years.
                " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
                Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
                http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Those bass drivers are NOT Eminence.

And I would love to see a shootout between those and a pair of Peavey SP2s. The Doggs will be a heap of smoldering particle board before the SP2s give up. The SP2s are by no means one of the nicest sounding live sound speakers, but they take a tremendous beating and will strip paint with their output. Or maybe they'll strip the carpet off those Dogg cabs.
                  Best Regards,

Rory Buszka

Taterworks Audio

"The work of the individual still remains the spark which moves mankind ahead, even more than teamwork." - Igor I. Sikorsky

If it works, but you don't know why it works, then you haven't done any engineering.

Comment

Originally posted by Taterworks View Post
                    Those bass drivers are NOT Eminence.

And I would love to see a shootout between those and a pair of Peavey SP2s. The Doggs will be a heap of smoldering particle board before the SP2s give up. The SP2s are by no means one of the nicest sounding live sound speakers, but they take a tremendous beating and will strip paint with their output. Or maybe they'll strip the carpet off those Dogg cabs.
                    +100. The Doggs are aptly named. Well engineered cabs don't use ports half the diameter required. The pics of the drivers in your other thread confirm that these are bow-wows for sure.
                    www.billfitzmaurice.com
                    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Working...
                    X