Overnight Sensations: COMPLETED!! *Curvy.. Muahaha*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overnight Sensations: COMPLETED!! *Curvy.. Muahaha*

Two months to the day from ordering parts, and tonight these things are rockin'!

The powered cab contains crossover, a 15x2 Tripath amp from 41Hz.com, and a dual input mixer. The LEDs indicate power, fault, unmute, etc. The whole thing's powered by a 2A 12V wall wart.

The plate amp can be seen below.

Tomorrow I shall get some sunlit shots of the Quilted Maple; the baffle, bases, bottoms and rears are Rustoleum's Hammered Metal.

Sound: Incredible, room filling; a bottom end that is impressive... I don't know all the words to use to fill in the blanks, but I'm stunned. I lucked out on the gains with the 50k pots and 10k mixing resistors... with the iPod wide open, more than enough volume with ZERO distortion that I can detect. First listen was Alice In Chains Unplugged.. Oh my! I have a huge list of others, but I had to quit so I could post this thread up.

The build thread can be found here: Overnight Sensation Build Thread

The design drawings can be seen here: Preliminary Design Thread. I'm hoping to do some as builts just to have.. and to share if anyone wants them.

Hey Paul Carmody!!! Thank you so much for figuring out the guts of this thing... I don't think you could have done a better job with the drivers being used.. I'm so looking forward to enjoying these things. Thanks to everyone for their feedback in all of the threads; DIY wouldn't be the same without a place like this for people like me to spy some hardcore skills and irreplaceable insight.

*sigh*... So what's next? }:-) I don't know but I can't wait.
    Last edited by WWWJD; 04-01-2010, 09:08 PM.
    ~Mark

Stuff I've builded http://techtalk.parts-express.com/co...lies/smile.png

Re: Overnight Sensations: COMPLETED!! *Curvy.. Muahaha*

Those are....well...AWESOME!! You did a great job on the curved cabinets! That quilted maple is stunning, as is the whole presentation.
    Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

I does like me a curvy cab....:D:p

Looks great, love the integrated amp!

NK
      I'm just that guy. www.sru.edu Rock Solid.

"It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion."

L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Comment

hey mark,turn it up!
        they look really good.
        " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
        Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
        http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Very nice! I'm sure that you're pleased with their sound.

I really like the extra touches on your build like the integrated amplifier and the curved cabs.

Be proud!
          Bill Schneider
          -+-+-+-+-
          www.afterness.com/audio

Comment

Dude, those are just plain SICK!

I stand in awe, most excellent!

Mark
            You go your way, I'll go mine. I don't care if we get there on time.

~Pink Floyd

Comment

Super looking, and neat as heck! I love the details in your control circuits, and your construction is wonderful.

I wish I could hear them (I bet they sound as good as they look).
              Jay T
              http://sites.google.com/site/lhwidgetssite/home

Comment

Nice job!
                "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

I really like the two-tone!

Mike

Comment

Wow, that looks really nice, very impressive.

I had thought about building a passive pre into a desktop speaker before but never dreamed of amp. Clever idea and it looks like it turned out perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by WWWJD View Post
                      Two months to the day from ordering parts, and tonight these things are rockin'! I will try to take some better pictures outside in some sunlight tomorrow, but for now:

The powered cab contains crossover, a 15x2 Tripath amp from 41Hz.com, and a dual input mixer. The LEDs indicate power, fault, unmute, etc. The whole thing's powered by a 2A 12V wall wart.

The plate amp can be seen below.

Tomorrow I shall get some sunlit shots of the Quilted Maple; the baffle, bases, bottoms and rears are Rustoleum's Hammered Metal.

Sound: Incredible, room filling; a bottom end that is impressive... I don't know all the words to use to fill in the blanks, but I'm stunned. I lucked out on the gains with the 50k pots and 10k mixing resistors... with the iPod wide open, more than enough volume with ZERO distortion that I can detect. First listen was Alice In Chains Unplugged.. Oh my! I have a huge list of others, but I had to quit so I could post this thread up.

The build thread can be found here: Overnight Sensation Build Thread

The design drawings can be seen here: Preliminary Design Thread. I'm hoping to do some as builts just to have.. and to share if anyone wants them.

Hey Paul Carmody!!! Thank you so much for figuring out the guts of this thing... I don't think you could have done a better job with the drivers being used.. I'm so looking forward to enjoying these things. Thanks to everyone for their feedback in all of the threads; DIY wouldn't be the same without a place like this for people like me to spy some hardcore skills and irreplaceable insight.

*sigh*... So what's next? }:-) I don't know but I can't wait.
                      Nicely done!! I'm anxious for the outdoor pics....

What's next? How about another of almost the same? My "Sophomores" are just as nice....

Again- nicely built..
                      Wolf
                      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                      https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Comment

Thanks guys.
                          ~Mark

Comment

Be still my beating heart! Those are beautiful! Between you and Bill, you guys have really made this "father" proud. I will definitely be using your pictures and Bill's on my website. I hope they bring you years of enjoyment, Mark.
                            Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                            Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Some better pics

~Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X