Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Constructive Criticism wanted...."Trident" prelim cabs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Constructive Criticism wanted...."Trident" prelim cabs...

Good..Soooo you'll consider the motorized mount and mult-colored LED's then?

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
      What would be the downside(s)? No pun intended...

2.5 way design, with different chambers for the woofer portions, and flexible other options for sake of curiosity. Blue lines denote possible partitions, and the central portion of the cabinet.
      I will probably not post much in the way if finalization, as these are not repeatable. Only I have the midbass' for these.

Other implementations in this shape could be done I wager. I speculate the width of the driver-area portions would all be the same and denote the same diffraction signature, correct? I really don't see this as being hard to model.

Thanks for looking, and for the useful replies,
      Wolf
      Just another idea. You could move the tube behind the center of the speakers. Kind of like a wind mill look. Then have a base under the tube protruding forward under the lower woofer box for stability.

Dave
      http://www.pellegreneacoustics.com/

Trench Seam Method for MDF
      https://picasaweb.google.com/101632266659473725850

Comment

What is the "HS180"? I assume 180mm is the size of the driver.

I've been thinking about something like 5 or 6 mids in a ring around the tweeter for a while now. SB Acoustics new ring neo looks like a good candidate for said tweeter...
        "...this is not a subwoofer" - Jeff Bagby ;)

Comment

Here is an idea. Maybe you could find some sort of molded hand to hold up one side. If your gonna do it different might as well go all out.

Comment

Originally posted by davepellegrene View Post
            Just another idea. You could move the tube behind the center of the speakers. Kind of like a wind mill look. Then have a base under the tube protruding forward under the lower woofer box for stability.

Dave
            Yeah, that's what comes to my mind when I try to think about how to logistically go about this, as well. I'm totally in favor of Wolf doing this speaker, by the way. It's a design even Andy G hasn't done yet!
            Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
            Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

I like Dave's image better.

Or how about these?

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Originally posted by killa View Post
                Here is an idea. Maybe you could find some sort of molded hand to hold up one side. If your gonna do it different might as well go all out.
                That's a SLICK idea!! Might have to find some decent mannequin hands.... or steal them from Old Navy!! (j/k)

Wouldn't even have to be a human hand....:D

I could make a working wooden implementation that holds it too...

Paul- that's true, G hasn't done that yet...:D:D

Face- sorry about your second one. I don't care for that, however, BOTH are viable if someone else wants to try them.

Critofur-
                The "HS180" (as I call it, Honeycomb Series), is a proto-Dayton driver. They were bought at the first Tent Sale, and I have been looking for the 'right' project, and this is it. It has the same frame and motor assembly of the RS180, but with a black damped paper dustcap and white honeycomb + woven cone. They are the only ones I know of in existence, as they were prototypes. Same manufacturer as the RS units, but they predate the RS units in design.

There is also a woven-type of the same to the left of them in this picture:

Cool,
                Wolf
                "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

I will either give the Extremis or the HS180 2 of the 3 chambers, for 1/3 and 2/3 volumes.
                  Later,
                  Wolf
                  If you can, try to break up the panel resonances. Since you will likely have 3x the amount of sympathetic panels, it would be worth taking steps to damp the resonance. Internal dividers could be spaced assymetrically to reduce the amount of evenly sized panels.

BTW: THe woofer that I sent punksweeper looks like a HS150.

Comment

Originally posted by brianpowers27 View Post
                    If you can, try to break up the panel resonances. Since you will likely have 3x the amount of sympathetic panels, it would be worth taking steps to damp the resonance. Internal dividers could be spaced assymetrically to reduce the amount of evenly sized panels.

BTW: THe woofer that I sent punksweeper looks like a HS150.
                    Nope. That's the woven vinyl. Mine have a honeycomb layer sandwiched in between. Trust me, I scoured the shelves looking for another.

I have a single 7" of what you sent also.
                    Later,
                    Wolf
                    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Nope. That's the woven vinyl. Mine have a honeycomb layer sandwiched in between. Trust me, I scoured the shelves looking for another.

I have a single 7" of what you sent also.
                      Later,
                      Wolf
                      Than what's the other proto I found? It has a honeycomb pattern to it.
                      18hz is scary.

Comment

Originally posted by PunkSweeper View Post
                        Than what's the other proto I found? It has a honeycomb pattern to it.
                        Here's a better picture...

I thought you had a honeycomb 5" as well as the woven vinyl Brian sent you.
                        Later,
                        Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Wolf, I like the overall design. However I do think some type of a back support would look the best. Also you could add a 4th arm on the back and set 2 arms down with a slant to make them look like a JACK. (Kids game).
                          Last edited by Froste; 09-25-2009, 02:01 AM. Reason: spelling error
                          Ed

Comment

Here's a better picture...

(Image)

I thought you had a honeycomb 5" as well as the woven vinyl Brian sent you.
                            Later,
                            Wolf
                            Yeah, it lookes like that, only black.

Cool RS28s, by the way. I was wondering why they were white in the diagram.
                            Last edited by PunkSweeper; 09-25-2009, 07:35 AM. Reason: Singular, not plural. Bummer.
                            18hz is scary.

Comment

Working...
                            X