Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Constructive Criticism wanted...."Trident" prelim cabs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PunkSweeper
    replied
    Re: Constructive Criticism wanted...."Trident" prelim cabs...

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
    Here's a better picture...

(Image)

I thought you had a honeycomb 5" as well as the woven vinyl Brian sent you.
    Later,
    Wolf
    Yeah, it lookes like that, only black.

Cool RS28s, by the way. I was wondering why they were white in the diagram.
    Last edited by PunkSweeper; 09-25-2009, 07:35 AM. Reason: Singular, not plural. Bummer.

Leave a comment:

• Froste
    replied

Wolf, I like the overall design. However I do think some type of a back support would look the best. Also you could add a 4th arm on the back and set 2 arms down with a slant to make them look like a JACK. (Kids game).
    Last edited by Froste; 09-25-2009, 02:01 AM. Reason: spelling error

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied

Originally posted by PunkSweeper View Post
    Than what's the other proto I found? It has a honeycomb pattern to it.
    Here's a better picture...

I thought you had a honeycomb 5" as well as the woven vinyl Brian sent you.
    Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• PunkSweeper
    replied

Nope. That's the woven vinyl. Mine have a honeycomb layer sandwiched in between. Trust me, I scoured the shelves looking for another.

I have a single 7" of what you sent also.
    Later,
    Wolf
    Than what's the other proto I found? It has a honeycomb pattern to it.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied

Originally posted by brianpowers27 View Post
    If you can, try to break up the panel resonances. Since you will likely have 3x the amount of sympathetic panels, it would be worth taking steps to damp the resonance. Internal dividers could be spaced assymetrically to reduce the amount of evenly sized panels.

BTW: THe woofer that I sent punksweeper looks like a HS150.
    Nope. That's the woven vinyl. Mine have a honeycomb layer sandwiched in between. Trust me, I scoured the shelves looking for another.

I have a single 7" of what you sent also.
    Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• brianpowers27
    replied

I will either give the Extremis or the HS180 2 of the 3 chambers, for 1/3 and 2/3 volumes.
    Later,
    Wolf
    If you can, try to break up the panel resonances. Since you will likely have 3x the amount of sympathetic panels, it would be worth taking steps to damp the resonance. Internal dividers could be spaced assymetrically to reduce the amount of evenly sized panels.

BTW: THe woofer that I sent punksweeper looks like a HS150.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied

Originally posted by killa View Post
    Here is an idea. Maybe you could find some sort of molded hand to hold up one side. If your gonna do it different might as well go all out.
    That's a SLICK idea!! Might have to find some decent mannequin hands.... or steal them from Old Navy!! (j/k)

Wouldn't even have to be a human hand....:D

I could make a working wooden implementation that holds it too...

Paul- that's true, G hasn't done that yet...:D:D

Face- sorry about your second one. I don't care for that, however, BOTH are viable if someone else wants to try them.

Critofur-
    The "HS180" (as I call it, Honeycomb Series), is a proto-Dayton driver. They were bought at the first Tent Sale, and I have been looking for the 'right' project, and this is it. It has the same frame and motor assembly of the RS180, but with a black damped paper dustcap and white honeycomb + woven cone. They are the only ones I know of in existence, as they were prototypes. Same manufacturer as the RS units, but they predate the RS units in design.

There is also a woven-type of the same to the left of them in this picture:

Cool,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• Face
    replied

I like Dave's image better.

Or how about these?

Leave a comment:

• Paul Carmody
    replied

Originally posted by davepellegrene View Post
    Just another idea. You could move the tube behind the center of the speakers. Kind of like a wind mill look. Then have a base under the tube protruding forward under the lower woofer box for stability.

Dave
    Yeah, that's what comes to my mind when I try to think about how to logistically go about this, as well. I'm totally in favor of Wolf doing this speaker, by the way. It's a design even Andy G hasn't done yet!

Leave a comment:

• killa
    replied

Here is an idea. Maybe you could find some sort of molded hand to hold up one side. If your gonna do it different might as well go all out.

Leave a comment:

• critofur
    replied

What is the "HS180"? I assume 180mm is the size of the driver.

I've been thinking about something like 5 or 6 mids in a ring around the tweeter for a while now. SB Acoustics new ring neo looks like a good candidate for said tweeter...

Leave a comment:

• davepellegrene
    replied

What would be the downside(s)? No pun intended...

2.5 way design, with different chambers for the woofer portions, and flexible other options for sake of curiosity. Blue lines denote possible partitions, and the central portion of the cabinet.
    I will probably not post much in the way if finalization, as these are not repeatable. Only I have the midbass' for these.

Other implementations in this shape could be done I wager. I speculate the width of the driver-area portions would all be the same and denote the same diffraction signature, correct? I really don't see this as being hard to model.

Thanks for looking, and for the useful replies,
    Wolf
    Just another idea. You could move the tube behind the center of the speakers. Kind of like a wind mill look. Then have a base under the tube protruding forward under the lower woofer box for stability.

Dave

Leave a comment:

• cpcarter
    replied

Good..Soooo you'll consider the motorized mount and mult-colored LED's then?

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied

Originally posted by cpcarter View Post
    Wolf

While my post was sarcastic and an attempt at a little humor at your expense I meant no harm. And when I asked "why?" I wasn't being negative. I wondered if you had a theory or a reason to use this form factor that would positively affect sound quality. After all, although I haven't seen it in print, our prime directive must contain something about " above all do no harm.. no wait wrong oath.. Above all the pursuit of Sound Quality first and formost...? (I just made that up). Based on that and that form follows function, it's a natural question to someone as accomplished as yourself, with many fine examples of excellence to your credit.
    Of course to each his own and your experiment demonstrates the creative side of our pursuit. I'll be interested to see how it turns (oops sorry propellers again) out!
    Cheers

CC

I'm gonna have to give this a big question mark, as I was not taking any offense at all..

"Why not?" is how I come across some of my projects. You know, the "what if I...?" tormenting question.... Sometimes you just have to TRY it. As to the sound-quality aspect, it's not really a driving factor in initial idea for this one. It's more of a, "Can this be made to look this artsy-fartsy and sound good?" type question. Let's just say I hope it sounds as artful as it looks.

I appreciate the high-regard compliments you just threw my way as well, but this is just a fun hobby to me. If someone gets something splendid out of something I did, then I'm happy. It was all for the "pursuit of sonic splendor".

I suppose I should've used some smilies in my response to you for clarification. It's hard to grasp feelings in textual interfacing,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• cpcarter
    replied

Wolf

While my post was sarcastic and an attempt at a little humor at your expense I meant no harm. And when I asked "why?" I wasn't being negative. I wondered if you had a theory or a reason to use this form factor that would positively affect sound quality. After all, although I haven't seen it in print, our prime directive must contain something about " above all do no harm.. no wait wrong oath.. Above all the pursuit of Sound Quality first and formost...? (I just made that up). Based on that and that form follows function, it's a natural question to someone as accomplished as yourself, with many fine examples of excellence to your credit.
    Of course to each his own and your experiment demonstrates the creative side of our pursuit. I'll be interested to see how it turns (oops sorry propellers again) out!
    Cheers

CC

Leave a comment:

Working...
X