New project - 1.0 version of the w3-1053 fullrange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New project - 1.0 version of the w3-1053 fullrange

I never did post a single driver version. Here it goes. A nice little uber budget fullrange project. 4 ohms for the t-amp.

Specs
    • 8ohm nominal
    • 70%bsc
    • f3=70hz
    • f10=50hz
    • Handles an honest 10-15 watts

Driver

Box:
    • Driver centered on baffle
    • 5"2,8"t,6"d

Port
    • 1"d x 5.5"l

XO
    • Paralell RLC notch in series with the woofer
    • R=12ohm
    • L=1mh
    • C=2uf

Parts

18.94 when you order 4 or more.

Attached Files
    Last edited by brianpowers27; 09-29-2009, 02:52 PM.

Re: New project - 1.0 version of the w3-1053 fullrange

Hi Brian,

I was going to build this project (x5) for a budget home theater setup.

After perusing the plans, I had some questions. I also sent these questions to you through your contact page of your website, although the site shows no new activity for a couple years.

On the PE post for this project, you listed a Dayton 2.2uf cap. But on your website, it shows a 4uf cap. Which one should it be?

Also, in both cases, you list a cheapy 12uf electrolytic cap. Why is this cap needed?

If it is needed, could one substitute a single cap equaling the uf value of these two caps (electrolytic and Dayton)?

Also, can you tell us what frequency the notch filter is focussing on?

Finally, can one substitute a quality air core inductor instead of the iron core unit? The price is nearly the same, and I hear that air core is considered an improvement over iron core.

Thanks for any input!

Comment

*bump*

Anyone know if this Brian Powers is still around?

Comment

In his sig line there is a link to his web page. He hasn't posted there since 2009. There is a contact link there.

He last posted here 11/2010.

Comment

Yeah, I noticed that, too. I just wondered if anyone might have some personal contact with him, or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken B. View Post
            Yeah, I noticed that, too. I just wondered if anyone might have some personal contact with him, or something.
            What is it you want to know? I think life caught up with him after last summer. He has 5 kids now.

Later,
            Wolf
            "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
            "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
            "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
            "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
            https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
              He has 5 kids now.

Later,
              Wolf
              :eek: I am pretty content (and busy) with the one. Good for Mr. Powers!
              Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Hey Wolf,

"What is it you want to know?"
                On the PE post for this project, Brian listed a Dayton 2.2uf cap for the notch filter. But on his website, the same project shows a 4uf cap. Which one should it be?

Also, in both cases, he lists a cheapy 12uf electrolytic cap in addition to a Dayton cap. Why is this electro cap needed?

If the electro cap is needed, could one substitute a single cap equaling the uf value of these two caps (electrolytic and Dayton)?

Also, what frequency is the notch filter is focussing on?

Finally, can one substitute a quality air core inductor instead of the iron core unit? The price is nearly the same, and I hear that air core is considered an improvement over iron core. I'm not sure why he would have listed an iron core unit since the savings is only like 70 cents or something.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
                  :eek: I am pretty content (and busy) with the one. Good for Mr. Powers!
                  +1

Comment

What is it you want to know? I think life caught up with him after last summer. He has 5 kids now.

Later,
                    Wolf
                    He was also taking classes for an advanced degree...I believe in business. So kudos to his wife, as well.
                    Free Passive Speaker Designer Lite (PSD-Lite) -- http://www.audiodevelopers.com/Softw...Lite/setup.exe

Comment

Originally posted by neildavis View Post
                      He was also taking classes for an advanced degree...I believe in business. So kudos to his wife, as well.
                      Yeah- He completed his Masters a little over a year ago. I was thinking it was a CS degree.
                      Later,
                      Wolf
                      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Originally posted by Ken B. View Post
                        Hey Wolf,

On the PE post for this project, Brian listed a Dayton 2.2uf cap for the notch filter. But on his website, the same project shows a 4uf cap. Which one should it be?

Also, in both cases, he lists a cheapy 12uf electrolytic cap in addition to a Dayton cap. Why is this electro cap needed?

If the electro cap is needed, could one substitute a single cap equaling the uf value of these two caps (electrolytic and Dayton)?

Also, what frequency is the notch filter is focussing on?

Finally, can one substitute a quality air core inductor instead of the iron core unit? The price is nearly the same, and I hear that air core is considered an improvement over iron core. I'm not sure why he would have listed an iron core unit since the savings is only like 70 cents or something.
                        Honestly, I don't know why he lists 2 values of caps and only one is in the filter diagram. It looks like the 12uF is the intended, I don't know where you see the 2.2uF cap. What freq is beyond me. Cost was important to Brian, but as long as the DCR doesn't change much I'd say it's fine.

It says he was on-line on the 27th of July, so I don't know why he doesn't answer you.
                        Later,
                        Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

What is it you want to know?
                          Has anyone posted FRD files for the W3-1053? It might help people understand the design . . .
                          "It suggests that there is something that is happening in the real system that is not quite captured in the models."

Comment

Originally posted by brianpowers27 View Post
                            XO
                            • Paralell RLC notch in series with the woofer
                            • R=12ohm
                            • L=1mh
                            • C=2uf
                            Maybe I'm missing somthing but it looks like the 2.2uF poly he specs is correct, and the 12uF electrolytic got thrown in by mistake.

EDIT: Nevermind, just checked his website, and it's 12uF there. Looks like a copy and paste error. I'd use the 12uF.
                            "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." Thomas A. Edison

Comment

I have a couple questions for those that may remember from when this was designed or if someone can model it again and figure out what is correct.

Is the capacitor supposed to be 2uf or 12uf. This question has already been asked but hasn't really been answered yet. He list a 2uf under the xo listing, but in his parts list he has a 2.2uf and a 12uf.

Are his box dimensions internal or external? If external does anyone know what thickness material he used?

These appear to be a more optimized use of the full range driver I use in the Minions III, but the details for building them are unclear.

Comment

Working...
                              X