Birmingham AL DIY'ers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birmingham AL DIY'ers

Just curious... are there any DIY'ers in Birmingham AL?

robert

Re: Birmingham AL DIY'ers

Yeah, I live in Gardendale. Interested in seeing how many there turns out to be!

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Dunn View Post
      Just curious... are there any DIY'ers in Birmingham AL?

robert
      I would think most DIY'ers in Ala. would be in the Huntsville and madison area.
      with one in Decatur

Comment

Count me in. I live in the Highland area. George/

Comment

I'm in Huntsville ;) Someone in Decatur? We do hockey there once a week.

(most lurk around here now)

Comment

Hey everyone in AL, with the Atlanta DIY coming up in a few weeks, maybe we can get together to share a ride and discuss DIY on the trip. Ultimately, we might have enough people in Alabama (and even southern TN) to start a group up here in Birmingham. It's a good centralized location, with several major interstates, good air service (especially Southwest), and plenty of places to host meetings.

Just let me know what y'all think, including whether you're going to Atlanta.

Thanks,
            Leonard

Comment

I won't be able to make it to ATL...hockey season is in full force with the kids (son and daughter both on separate travel teams)...weekends are shot.

I would be very interested in simple and easy get togethers though...maybe even rotating locations, just to talk this stuff. When I moved down from MN I lost my partner in crime and fellow speaker builder.

Comment

I'm in hunts-vegas!

Comment

Cool. We have at least a couple of folk in the area.

I'm not trying to displace Atlanta but it sure would be nice to be able to share tools, techniques, solutions, etc., with co-conspirators locally -- Birmingham, Decatur/Huntsvile, or somewhere in between. So how much interest is there in getting together to discuss our hobby and the whether we might get a regular group going?

If you're interested, post here but also send me a private e-mail and I'll send out a group message to discuss.

robert

Comment

You're doing the right thing to get it off the ground...my wife spent a good deal of time in B'ham and would return there with no question....she might even let me come...:D
                    Mongo only pawn in game of life
                    ____
                    Ed

Comment

Originally posted by bryonstuder View Post
                      I won't be able to make it to ATL...hockey season is in full force with the kids (son and daughter both on separate travel teams)...weekends are shot.

I would be very interested in simple and easy get togethers though...maybe even rotating locations, just to talk this stuff. When I moved down from MN I lost my partner in crime and fellow speaker builder.
                      We don't necessarily need to meet on a weekend. We could get together one evening just to get to know one another and discuss vsrious to various topics of interest.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Dunn View Post
                        Cool. We have at least a couple of folk in the area.

I'm not trying to displace Atlanta but it sure would be nice to be able to share tools, techniques, solutions, etc., with co-conspirators locally -- Birmingham, Decatur/Huntsvile, or somewhere in between. So how much interest is there in getting together to discuss our hobby and the whether we might get a regular group going?

If you're interested, post here but also send me a private e-mail and I'll send out a group message to discuss.

robert
                        I'm in. I agree, I don't want to detract from the Atlanta group, but for more frequent, less formal meetings, a Birmingham group would be greatl Espcially is there is an advanced member who could help bring some of us less experienced DIYers along.

Comment

One area of potential interest is the sharing of "prime" local diy resources.

For instance: There's a mineral wool manufacturer near B'ham, I believe.

Are there any surplus electronics sources to share?
                          Mongo only pawn in game of life
                          ____
                          Ed

Comment

Originally posted by edlafontaine View Post
                            One area of potential interest is the sharing of "prime" local diy resources.

For instance: There's a mineral wool manufacturer near B'ham, I believe.

Are there any surplus electronics sources to share?
                            Well, I don't know of any surplus sources locally. However, if we can get some folk together, we can swap/share/sell extras.

For example, I have four Aurum Cantus AC-130F1's that I'd part with for less than cost. I also have a very generous set of miscellaneous cross-overs (useful for parts if not as-is) from ApexJr.com (gift certificate from last Atlanta DIY event but also a very nice guy) that might be useful to others. Oh, yeah, there is also a set of four SEAS H1499's that Madisound was kind enough to match after the initial poor quality consistency which I don't currently need for a project. (Madisound gets really high marks for that!)

But that's not really the main benefit that I see for a local group. We can share (a) knowledge, (b) testing equipment, (c) design software, (d) texts (books, magazines), (e) construction equipment (woodworking workshop), (f) prototyping parts (caps, inductors, and resistors), and (g) generally have fun doing something that we enjoy. Personally, I have most of these except for (a) & (g), others locally with the same interest and more knowledge.

Anyway, that's my angle.... Interested parties, please speak up!

Comment

Yup I'd be in for that whenever possible. I have been down here just over a year and my "shop" is still in dis-array... But I would attend - even have folks over if my wife lets me I have a large living room that would work. Might not be the best - but offereing anyway. Robert - you have my info...

Thanks and I think this can be fun and educational.

Bryon

Comment

Working...
                              X