Birmingham AL DIY'ers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Birmingham AL DIY'ers

Ok, guys, I don't want to clutter up the PE Tech Talk Forum so, if you are interested in some form of Central/North Alabama DIY get-together , please send me a private e-mail with your direct e-mail address, name, city, and, optionally, your contact telephone number(s). (Do not post this information on the forum unless you really like spam and/or unsolicited telephone calls!)

Once I have some responses, I will send an e-mail to all who responded with our names, cities, and e-mail addresses. We can then see when and where we might get together.

robert

Comment

Originally posted by edlafontaine View Post
      One area of potential interest is the sharing of "prime" local diy resources.

For instance: There's a mineral wool manufacturer near B'ham, I believe.

Are there any surplus electronics sources to share?
      Ed, are you thinking of AcoustiStuff (or something similarly named)? If so, they are in Mobile, AL, and not at all near Birmingham. If not, what?

robert

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Dunn View Post
        Ed, are you thinking of AcoustiStuff (or something similarly named)? If so, they are in Mobile, AL, and not at all near Birmingham. If not, what?

robert
        Birmingham is big in the heavy metals industry, and mineral wool is used as insulation on furnaces, etc.

Comment

Mineral wool, aka rock wool, is made by Rock Wool Mfg. in Leeds, AL. I've never traded with them. I have obtained 4" batts of rock wool from commercial drywall suppliers. It has acoustic properties similar to the synthetic fibers.
          Mongo only pawn in game of life
          ____
          Ed

Comment

Mineral wool, aka rock wool, is made by Rock Wool Mfg. in Leeds, AL. I've never traded with them. I have obtained 4" batts of rock wool from commercial drywall suppliers. It has acoustic properties similar to the synthetic fibers.
            Never heard of "rock wool." Could you describe? (Please tell me it's not kin to asbestos....)

Thanks,
            robert

Comment

One of the notable attributes of rock wool is that it is benign. It doesn't itch you like fiberglass, nor does it cause health problems like asbestos.
              Mongo only pawn in game of life
              ____
              Ed

Comment

Yeah, I cut it up to use to insulate a laser and camera assembly we placed on the roof of a reheat furnace in a steel mill. Like Ed says, it doesn't cause any irratation. Looks like off-white fiberglass, but without the itch.

Comment

One of the notable attributes of rock wool is that it is benign. It doesn't itch you like fiberglass, nor does it cause health problems like asbestos.
                  ...in fact, I read the MSDS when I was working with it just to make sure there weren't any problems. I just found it hard to believe that it had the functionality it had without some kind of serious safety issues.

Comment

bumpin' dis here thread... ;)

I'm in Decatur. Not sure if all you Alabama natives have left, but I recognize some names still posting here.

I don't know if any of you guys are into car audio at all (not bass thumpin' car audio, either). If you are, I'm actually having a GTG at my house next month (april 16th). If you'd like to come by, let me know.

I'm also currently building a test baffle upstairs to start testing drivers with. Would be cool to hear from other locals.

- Erin
                    ErinsAudioCorner.com

Comment

I am in the Decatur area,Trinity actually. I am about done building speakers. But I am currently building a diy pc system featuring the sure amp board. If there are any audiophile types or even hifi diy'ers around I am not aware of them.

Comment

Originally posted by CW Lindsey View Post
                        I am in the Decatur area,Trinity actually. I am about done building speakers. But I am currently building a diy pc system featuring the sure amp board. If there are any audiophile types or even hifi diy'ers around I am not aware of them.
                        I actually met an engineer/producer via audiogon who lives here in Decatur. Dude has some seriously nice gear, but I don't think he's a DIY'r.
                        ErinsAudioCorner.com

Comment

I am in Chattanooga. Where can I get info on the event in Atlanta? I would like to try to make that.
                          Thanks,
                          David
                          Photos of projects and stuff
                          http://s818.photobucket.com/albums/zz109/davidc549/
                          My furniture web site.
                          http://www.crewesfurniture.com/
                          My gallery web site (Still trying to get that going)
                          http://area61onmain.com/

Comment

I bumped a 2 year old thread. ;)

That meet has long passed. lol.
                            ErinsAudioCorner.com

Comment

Yes, the Atlanta DIY meeting which is mentioned above was in 2009. But check out this show in Atlanta April 14-17th for a chance to see/hear the Audio Expo North America show which features manufacturers and other audio related stuff.

http://www.axpona.com/

Comment

just wanted to bump this in regadrds to my GTG next week on April 16th. Here's the latest info..

Again, it'll be in Decatur, Al. If anyone somewhat local wants to come out, feel free. It'll be car audio guys but we're after sonic bliss, lol, so we're more like home audio dudes in this regard... not bass junkies.
                                Plus, I'll have a few well trained ears and there will be tons of great sounding cars to change your mind on the car audio stereotype.
                                Oh, and an Alabama Music Hall of Fame producer/engineer will be there, too.

Next Saturday is the big day so here's an updated list. I've forgotten some names, so please feel free to tell me. A couple people can't make it, but a couple others can. If your name isn't on the list or your status is different than what I have, please let me know and I'll fix it.

1) Erin - bikinpunk
                                2) Mark - Audible Physics
                                3) Ashley - ashman5
                                4) Chris - Hillbilly
                                5) Blake - Scionboxrox
                                6) Jason - papacueball
                                7) Scott - Alpinem
                                8) John - Pionjek
                                9) Chuck White - StereoLuver
                                10) Kirk - AcuraTLSQ
                                11) Paul - PaulD
                                12) Jason - ImJustJason
                                13) Al - BigAl
                                14) Lee - pyropoptart
                                15) (?) - strakele
                                16) Jack - JacksonP
                                17) John W - SynrG
                                18) Nick - Nar93da
                                19) Scott - peg legs
                                20) Jason B - bertholemey (driving all the way down from NC!)
                                21) Fletcher - cobalt232
                                22) Jim - iroc2nv
                                23) ??? - ocblaze
                                24) Ryan - slade1274 (strong maybe)
                                25) Ben - Honda (maybe)
                                26) Steve McIntyre - customtronic (maybe)
                                27) Charles - sssnake (not confirmed, but he lives close enough to drag here)
                                28) ??? - Forson (maybe)

Originally posted by bikinpunk
                                Just got off the phone with the sound engineer. He's coming over Friday to set up the speaker systems (he's bringing two :D) in the garage. We're gonna do some placement of carpet, and acoustic panels to help with the reflections due to the concrete floors. I'll post pictures of the setup next Friday night so people know what to expect.

I really hope the weather stays nice.

Please let me know what time you plan to arrive. You can get here as early as 10-11am. I just need a heads up so I know not to be slaughtering cows in the front yard barefoot and in my whitey tighties. I don't wanna scare anyone off. :laugh:
                                If you need to get here earlier for some reason, PM me. I'll try to be available early. Most likely I'll be cleaning out the garage or the test room anyway... you can help! :o

Make sure to remember to bring
                                • Chair(s)
                                • Gear to sell/demo/test
                                • RTA setup if you have it. If you don't know how to use it, we'll show you. Lots of people here know how to run TrueRTA. Just bring a mic and whatever needed to power it and download the 1 octave version of TrueRTA and we'll go from there.
                                • Snacks if you need them (see below).
                                • Power supply for your car or for someone to borrow if needed. I've got jumper cables. ;)
                                • Camera to take pictures with. I always appreciate it when people post pictures of GTGs and installs/etc in other threads so would appreciate someone taking some for me and posting them up. I'll try to take some myself but I usually get too wrapped up in talking to remember to take any.
                                • A good 'tude.

Lunch:
                                Given that most people will get here early afternoon, I think we'll shoot for a mid-day foodage at around 2-3pm. I need you guys to let me know when you plan to arrive so I can figure out the lunch schedule a bit better.
                                If you want to bring some snacks for yourself or to share, please feel free. I'll have pizzas and coke/dr. pepper/water. If you need anything outside of that, you might want to bring it.

Don't forget to email or pm me for directions/address.

And don't forget what I said about cell service being crappy with AT&T and other carriers. T-Mobile is the only one I can verify since that's what I have.

Driver Testing:
                                Klippel stuff should be firing up *hopefully* by the end of next week. I'm taking next Thursday and Friday off to get ready. Gotta clean the dang house. Noes!!!!!!
                                Will be working on the klippel stand next week so everyone can see that and the Baffle Test Stand for FR/distortion testing. I'm working my **** off to be completely done by next Saturday but it's going to be tough. Probabably won't be able to test much that day, but I should at least be able to demo whatever I have mounted on the wall so people can see how I do the FR/distortion testing and I hope to have a sub mounted on the klippel stand so people can see that testing in action.
                                I think it would be great for everyone to see what is behind the data that will be posted.
                                ErinsAudioCorner.com

Comment

Working...
                                X