X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ErinH
    replied
    Re: Birmingham AL DIY'ers

I'll try to remember to post pictures up here afterward. Should be a fun time.

Leave a comment:

• bryonstuder
    replied

Hey, I see this old thread pops up again

I am in Huntsville. I just pulled my car audio system out (all old school PPI stuff, PAR225, OMX, active 3 way, Morel mids, vifa tweets, dual 10") ... too bad, it would be fun. This weekend kids have Lacrosse in Birmingham. Keep me informed, cooking right now I have a pr of Paul's Sunflowers going for a guy in Florence (helping him with assembly of the crossovers).

Thanks, Bryon

Leave a comment:

• ErinH
    replied

Shoot me a PM or email for addy. I'll be happy to send you the details.

Leave a comment:

• CW Lindsey
    replied

Where are holding this event at ... street address?

Leave a comment:

• ErinH
    replied

Understood. Still, would be cool if you could ,ake it. Like I said, a lot of hem audio dudes will be here. Plus, we'll be demoing some Mark Daniels gear for reference for tuning the cars.
    I'll also be teasing some drivers and letting people see the test baffle I've built and the klippel. Should be a rad time.

Maybe next time, though.

Leave a comment:

• rogoll
    replied

Originally posted by ErinH View Post
    Fwiw, there wil be a ton of hoke audio guys here, too. One is a producer, and another guy is the owner of a high end driver company distributed here in the US. All sorts of other enthusiasts as well. Don't take us car audio dudes for granted. Given our environment we have to learn a lot about sound science to get the most out of our systems. The flip side is we get some very nice LFE thanks to cabin gain. :D
    Oh, no! Please don't get me wrong. I understand and respect the challenges of true auto hi-fi (not the kid going for ultimate SPL in the lower region, but without any clarity of the music):p. I just don't have a car nor the finances at this point to address this area of audio.:o

Leave a comment:

• ErinH
    replied

Fwiw, there wil be a ton of hoke audio guys here, too. One is a producer, and another guy is the owner of a high end driver company distributed here in the US. All sorts of other enthusiasts as well. Don't take us car audio dudes for granted. Given our environment we have to learn a lot about sound science to get the most out of our systems. The flip side is we get some very nice LFE thanks to cabin gain. :D

Leave a comment:

• rogoll
    replied

Originally posted by ErinH View Post
    just wanted to bump this in regadrds to my GTG next week on April 16th. Here's the latest info..

Again, it'll be in Decatur, Al. If anyone somewhat local wants to come out, feel free. It'll be car audio guys but we're after sonic bliss, lol, so we're more like home audio dudes in this regard... not bass junkies.
    Plus, I'll have a few well trained ears and there will be tons of great sounding cars to change your mind on the car audio stereotype.
    Oh, and an Alabama Music Hall of Fame producer/engineer will be there, too.

Next Saturday is the big day so here's an updated list. I've forgotten some names, so please feel free to tell me. A couple people can't make it, but a couple others can. If your name isn't on the list or your status is different than what I have, please let me know and I'll fix it.

1) Erin - bikinpunk
    2) Mark - Audible Physics
    3) Ashley - ashman5
    4) Chris - Hillbilly
    5) Blake - Scionboxrox
    6) Jason - papacueball
    7) Scott - Alpinem
    8) John - Pionjek
    9) Chuck White - StereoLuver
    10) Kirk - AcuraTLSQ
    11) Paul - PaulD
    12) Jason - ImJustJason
    13) Al - BigAl
    14) Lee - pyropoptart
    15) (?) - strakele
    16) Jack - JacksonP
    17) John W - SynrG
    18) Nick - Nar93da
    19) Scott - peg legs
    20) Jason B - bertholemey (driving all the way down from NC!)
    21) Fletcher - cobalt232
    22) Jim - iroc2nv
    23) ??? - ocblaze
    24) Ryan - slade1274 (strong maybe)
    25) Ben - Honda (maybe)
    26) Steve McIntyre - customtronic (maybe)
    27) Charles - sssnake (not confirmed, but he lives close enough to drag here)
    28) ??? - Forson (maybe)

I don't think I'll be able to make it...possibly, but probably not. However, I would like to be included in this group. I live in Birmingham (Gardendale, AL, actually), and would like, at some point, to arrange a meeting in "Middle Alabama". My name is Leonard Rogol, username rogoll on the TechTalk board. There are some others in the area that are missing from the list, but I can't think of them at this moment. You can e-mail me at leonard[dot]rogoll[at]gmail[dot]com.

I am more into home audio, personally.

Leave a comment:

• ErinH
    replied

just wanted to bump this in regadrds to my GTG next week on April 16th. Here's the latest info..

Again, it'll be in Decatur, Al. If anyone somewhat local wants to come out, feel free. It'll be car audio guys but we're after sonic bliss, lol, so we're more like home audio dudes in this regard... not bass junkies.
    Plus, I'll have a few well trained ears and there will be tons of great sounding cars to change your mind on the car audio stereotype.
    Oh, and an Alabama Music Hall of Fame producer/engineer will be there, too.

Next Saturday is the big day so here's an updated list. I've forgotten some names, so please feel free to tell me. A couple people can't make it, but a couple others can. If your name isn't on the list or your status is different than what I have, please let me know and I'll fix it.

1) Erin - bikinpunk
    2) Mark - Audible Physics
    3) Ashley - ashman5
    4) Chris - Hillbilly
    5) Blake - Scionboxrox
    6) Jason - papacueball
    7) Scott - Alpinem
    8) John - Pionjek
    9) Chuck White - StereoLuver
    10) Kirk - AcuraTLSQ
    11) Paul - PaulD
    12) Jason - ImJustJason
    13) Al - BigAl
    14) Lee - pyropoptart
    15) (?) - strakele
    16) Jack - JacksonP
    17) John W - SynrG
    18) Nick - Nar93da
    19) Scott - peg legs
    20) Jason B - bertholemey (driving all the way down from NC!)
    21) Fletcher - cobalt232
    22) Jim - iroc2nv
    23) ??? - ocblaze
    24) Ryan - slade1274 (strong maybe)
    25) Ben - Honda (maybe)
    26) Steve McIntyre - customtronic (maybe)
    27) Charles - sssnake (not confirmed, but he lives close enough to drag here)
    28) ??? - Forson (maybe)

Originally posted by bikinpunk
    Just got off the phone with the sound engineer. He's coming over Friday to set up the speaker systems (he's bringing two :D) in the garage. We're gonna do some placement of carpet, and acoustic panels to help with the reflections due to the concrete floors. I'll post pictures of the setup next Friday night so people know what to expect.

I really hope the weather stays nice.

Please let me know what time you plan to arrive. You can get here as early as 10-11am. I just need a heads up so I know not to be slaughtering cows in the front yard barefoot and in my whitey tighties. I don't wanna scare anyone off. :laugh:
    If you need to get here earlier for some reason, PM me. I'll try to be available early. Most likely I'll be cleaning out the garage or the test room anyway... you can help! :o

Make sure to remember to bring
    • Chair(s)
    • Gear to sell/demo/test
    • RTA setup if you have it. If you don't know how to use it, we'll show you. Lots of people here know how to run TrueRTA. Just bring a mic and whatever needed to power it and download the 1 octave version of TrueRTA and we'll go from there.
    • Snacks if you need them (see below).
    • Power supply for your car or for someone to borrow if needed. I've got jumper cables. ;)
    • Camera to take pictures with. I always appreciate it when people post pictures of GTGs and installs/etc in other threads so would appreciate someone taking some for me and posting them up. I'll try to take some myself but I usually get too wrapped up in talking to remember to take any.
    • A good 'tude.

Lunch:
    Given that most people will get here early afternoon, I think we'll shoot for a mid-day foodage at around 2-3pm. I need you guys to let me know when you plan to arrive so I can figure out the lunch schedule a bit better.
    If you want to bring some snacks for yourself or to share, please feel free. I'll have pizzas and coke/dr. pepper/water. If you need anything outside of that, you might want to bring it.

Don't forget to email or pm me for directions/address.

And don't forget what I said about cell service being crappy with AT&T and other carriers. T-Mobile is the only one I can verify since that's what I have.

Driver Testing:
    Klippel stuff should be firing up *hopefully* by the end of next week. I'm taking next Thursday and Friday off to get ready. Gotta clean the dang house. Noes!!!!!!
    Will be working on the klippel stand next week so everyone can see that and the Baffle Test Stand for FR/distortion testing. I'm working my **** off to be completely done by next Saturday but it's going to be tough. Probabably won't be able to test much that day, but I should at least be able to demo whatever I have mounted on the wall so people can see how I do the FR/distortion testing and I hope to have a sub mounted on the klippel stand so people can see that testing in action.
    I think it would be great for everyone to see what is behind the data that will be posted.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Griffin
    replied

Yes, the Atlanta DIY meeting which is mentioned above was in 2009. But check out this show in Atlanta April 14-17th for a chance to see/hear the Audio Expo North America show which features manufacturers and other audio related stuff.

http://www.axpona.com/

Leave a comment:

• ErinH
    replied

I bumped a 2 year old thread. ;)

That meet has long passed. lol.

Leave a comment:

• David Crewe
    replied

I am in Chattanooga. Where can I get info on the event in Atlanta? I would like to try to make that.
    Thanks,
    David

Leave a comment:

• ErinH
    replied

Originally posted by CW Lindsey View Post
    I am in the Decatur area,Trinity actually. I am about done building speakers. But I am currently building a diy pc system featuring the sure amp board. If there are any audiophile types or even hifi diy'ers around I am not aware of them.
    I actually met an engineer/producer via audiogon who lives here in Decatur. Dude has some seriously nice gear, but I don't think he's a DIY'r.

Leave a comment:

• CW Lindsey
    replied

I am in the Decatur area,Trinity actually. I am about done building speakers. But I am currently building a diy pc system featuring the sure amp board. If there are any audiophile types or even hifi diy'ers around I am not aware of them.

Leave a comment:

• ErinH
    replied

bumpin' dis here thread... ;)

I'm in Decatur. Not sure if all you Alabama natives have left, but I recognize some names still posting here.

I don't know if any of you guys are into car audio at all (not bass thumpin' car audio, either). If you are, I'm actually having a GTG at my house next month (april 16th). If you'd like to come by, let me know.

I'm also currently building a test baffle upstairs to start testing drivers with. Would be cool to hear from other locals.

- Erin

Leave a comment:

Working...
X