DIYowa 2009 is in the books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DIYowa 2009 is in the books (PICS)

I can only add to the other comments. Another great show. Thanks to Doug, Maynard and Jason for all of their hard work! I really appreciate the opportunity to see old friends and meet new ones.

Lots of great designs and design efforts! The bar goes up each year!

I spent the day taking pictures, talking and listening to great speakers. HERE is a link to the pictures I took.

Jim

Comment

Re: DIYowa 2009 is in the books (PICS)

Originally posted by Jim Holtz View Post
      I can only add to the other comments. Another great show. Thanks to Doug, Maynard and Jason for all of their hard work! I really appreciate the opportunity to see old friends and meet new ones.

Lots of great designs and design efforts! The bar goes up each year!

I spent the day taking pictures, talking and listening to great speakers. HERE is a link to the pictures I took.

Jim
      Jim and Jason I hope it's ok. I linked your pictures on the Iowa 2009 website.
      Doug
      http://dpeterson.home.mchsi.com/

I just checked and my "give a damn" is broke :D

Comment

Re: DIYowa 2009 is in the books

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
        i have a few pics on photobucket. http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/p...rlis/iowa2009/ but shawns are much better. doug will have each builder with their builds. thanks to all who tolerated all my questions. thanks to dennis for all his effort with his testing rig. this was my first, will not be my last. lowell
        they say a piture is worth a 1000 words, they meant this one
        While I'm pleased that my little project was so well received, I'm even prouder of being in this picture. This IS what the event is all about!

Thanks to Doug, his family and all of the great people that make this the one weekend I'll look forward to for the next 51 weeks.

Comment

I'm going next year. I'll find something to bring.
          Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Thank you, Doug - great event and very well-organized and well worth the trip.

Cheers / Robert

Comment

I am even more torn now on which even I should have attended this weekend. I really wanted to attend this Iowa DIY, but the chance of another trip to Madison and watching the Hawks beat the Wis-can't-win Badgers was just too much.

I really hope to make this meet next year. It would be great to hear some of these projects and meet the faces behind the screen names and postings. I'm curious, will any of these speakers have build threads or project BOM's listed? I'm curious to see Marty's XT25 over W5-1685 two way and the design for whoever built these...

I'm guessing those are Usher drivers, and I've always been a fan of their look and sound and wanted to build something using them.
              My Home Theater Build thread
              My DIY Speaker builds

My Gear:
              Emotiva XMC-1
              Emotiva XPR-2
              Emotiva XPA-5
              Clearwave Dynamics 4T and 4CC (mains)
              Paradigm Millennia LP (surrounds)
              Oppo 103D
              Mede8er 600X3D w/ 4TB
              Marantz CD-5004
              AppleTV
              JVC RS-4910 Projector
              100" Screen Innovations Pure Gray Screen w/ LED kit
              APC Uninterrupted Power Supply (x2)
              iRule controlling it all....

Comment

johnny, i have a mini-van. you can always drive here and we'll share the rest.
                " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
                Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
                http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Originally posted by deewan View Post
                  I am even more torn now on which even I should have attended this weekend. I really wanted to attend this Iowa DIY, but the chance of another trip to Madison and watching the Hawks beat the Wis-can't-win Badgers was just too much.

I really hope to make this meet next year. It would be great to hear some of these projects and meet the faces behind the screen names and postings. I'm curious, will any of these speakers have build threads or project BOM's listed? I'm curious to see Marty's XT25 over W5-1685 two way and the design for whoever built these...

I'm guessing those are Usher drivers, and I've always been a fan of their look and sound and wanted to build something using them.
                  Those are Paul K's speakers the Marcato. He posts on the board from time to time. I'll send you his e-mail in a PM. I'm sure he will be happy to share the details of his build.
                  Doug
                  http://dpeterson.home.mchsi.com/

I just checked and my "give a damn" is broke :D

Comment

Originally posted by DougP View Post
                    Those are Paul K's speakers the Marcato. He posts on the board from time to time. I'll send you his e-mail in a PM. I'm sure he will be happy to share the details of his build.
                    Doug
                    Those would just be too much class wasted on a hawk fan. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by turn2 View Post
                      Those would just be too much class wasted on a hawk fan. ;)
                      Oh, then does anybody have something without any class they can share for my next build? Maybe something using a cardboard box as a cabinet, mismatched drivers, and metal coat hangers instead of internal speaker wire?

thanks for the info guys! I really hope to make it next year.
                      My Home Theater Build thread
                      My DIY Speaker builds

My Gear:
                      Emotiva XMC-1
                      Emotiva XPR-2
                      Emotiva XPA-5
                      Clearwave Dynamics 4T and 4CC (mains)
                      Paradigm Millennia LP (surrounds)
                      Oppo 103D
                      Mede8er 600X3D w/ 4TB
                      Marantz CD-5004
                      AppleTV
                      JVC RS-4910 Projector
                      100" Screen Innovations Pure Gray Screen w/ LED kit
                      APC Uninterrupted Power Supply (x2)
                      iRule controlling it all....

Comment

I don't have much to add that hasn't already been said other than "Thank you to Doug's wife for picking up the pizza for lunch", I for one really appreciated it. I must admit, there were 3 speakers there that I would be more than willing to replace mine with, those were Dan's Basslines, Paul's Marcato's and Curt's HDS-TB-Dayton speakers, whatever they were called, all three of those were simply stunning in my opinion.

But I still find it amazing how great sounding the budget and super-budget speakers are. Kudos to everyone who brought speakers, you deserve a big "Thank You" as without them it wouldn't even be a show.

Thanks again to Doug and family and Mayard and Jason it was a great success.

Brian Walter

Comment

I had a great time. It was tiring as always between two 10-hour drives one day apart and my ears getting tired and less discriminating as the event day wore on. A big thanks to Doug, his wife and his son for planning this event and to Maynard and Jason for their help. There were only maybe 2 or 3 speakers that had any significant problems. All of the rest were competent to very good both relative to their respective classes and overall.
                          Paul

Comment

Here's my takeaways:

1. I agree; it was over too soon.
                            2. Thank you Doug & family!
                            4. This is a brilliant community we've got. Intelligent, funny & gracious. Any expressions of ego during the day were all in good fun.

(now for the geekier stuff)

5. The DQ25 is an amazing little tweet. Not perfect, but showing up in ALL classes (save unlimited) definitely says something.
                            6. Similarly, I haven't met an RS28 project I didn't like.
                            7. Scott Sehlin's Matrix was the first audition of the midrange class and was a serious standard by which the other projects could be judged. The low-level detail out of that Neo8 was crazy good.
                            8. If you are thinking about building a project and you see the XO was by Curt C, build it.
                            9. I preferred version #2 of the Maverick XO. Soundstage seemed wider.
                            10. I was mostly serious about bags of insulation in front of the stage. I think the majority of the bass issues were from the front baffles coupling to the stage edge and then the floor.

Comment

That might be arranged Arlis. Next year!
                              Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

I just spent about an hour and a half reading this thread and looking at all the pictures that everyone has posted/linked. All I can say is WOW! Everyone's entries look amazing, and I am sure they all sounded even better. I would love to attend one of these events just to be there and look at the outstanding craftmanship and designs. It would be nice to learn from the pros as there is no way I could put together anything of that quality right now.

Thanks to all of you who posted pictures. I will stay tuned for more. Looked like alot of fun for sure.
                                What's life without a little boom...

Comment

Working...
                                X