No announcement yet.

Whats going to be the next big design?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats going to be the next big design?

I am seing who can look into thier crystal ball and see the next big popular design.

I did the tritrix before it was the recession buster destroyer.
    I did the resession buster version 1 & 2

What do you think will be the next big hit?

Since i build boxes for people I like to have few demo pics before the rush hits.

I am also just wanting a cool design to build, im starting to get the ichet o build something for myself
    Check out my website: www.uberstealthaudio.com.
    Now offering cnc cut baffles and other speaker cabinet parts

Re: Whats going to be the next big design?

Originally posted by nikbrewer View Post
    I am seing who can look into thier crystal ball and see the next big popular design.

I did the tritrix before it was the recession buster destroyer.
    I did the resession buster version 1 & 2

What do you think will be the next big hit?

Since i build boxes for people I like to have few demo pics before the rush hits.

I am also just wanting a cool design to build, im starting to get the ichet o build something for myself
    You've got to inspire the next big rush or you will be behind it.

Comment

Lotta buzz about 8" two ways on this board lately...
      Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

well, maybe ill pic a design and make it the next big thing then.

i was amazed no one ever built these, I might try a pair soon

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=32184

it may be due to the 4 ohm load though

Any cool small designs out there? Maybe another small MTM, or maybe a mini 3 way?

Comment

I would say one of Zaph's new designs. From what I've read on the forums, the drivers are selling like hotcakes.
          No matter where you go, there you are.
          Website

Comment

like the ZA5's? or is there another new design out?

Comment

the write-up did not include box specs but the copper project by marty sounded just .........great. in my opinion they won the budget class. they are towers and just twoway there were, in my opinion, many good speakers in this class. i am, of course, refering to iowa diy 2009. they look alot like this.

" To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
              Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
              http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Originally posted by nikbrewer View Post
                like the ZA5's? or is there another new design out?
                He is talking about the new zaph kits over at madisound. They are not on the zaphaudio site. Looks like zaph helped design the midwoofers.

Comment

Originally posted by killa View Post
                  He is talking about the new zaph kits over at madisound. They are not on the zaphaudio site. Looks like zaph helped design the midwoofers.
                  Helped, hell! They are totally his babies and I'm fairly certain he financed their production personally.

Comment

The name says it all: Overnight Sensations. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to toot my own horn. I just couldn't resist the pun.
                    Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                    Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

I think the Overnight Sensations certainly stand out as the recession-busting favorite, but it's not hard to see the reasons why they were so popular. I had a similar discussion with Wolf on the way back from Iowa DIY.

So what clues do the Overnight Sensations offer into what makes a popular design? First of all, the drivers were inexpensive and widely available, and they were nice looking. The design was compact, and the woodworking was well within the reach of the most novice builder with some rudimentary power tools (table saw, jigsaw, palm sander - the three tools I started out with, FWIW. Flush-mounting the O.S.'s drivers is ideal, but won't break their performance if neglected.) The aesthetic cues of the enclosure were simple, conservative, and easy to replicate. It wouldn't take a rocket scientist to assemble and double-check their work on the crossover, or fit everything into the box and button it up for its first performance. The build process has been documented not only on Paul's site, but in several threads on here, no doubt adding to their popularity (which takes time to gain momentum.) What's more, the Overnight Sensations were timely - being in the middle of a recession as we are, their low overall cost appeals to the frugal side of many hobbyists (including myself - while I don't plan to build a pair, that doesn't mean I can't like them.)

So, that's why I think the Overnight Sensations lived up to their name (which, by the way, is catchy and speaks to their ease of construction.) Take my comments for what they are - the observations of an outsider, having never developed a similarly popular design of my own.
                      Best Regards,

Rory Buszka

Taterworks Audio

"The work of the individual still remains the spark which moves mankind ahead, even more than teamwork." - Igor I. Sikorsky

If it works, but you don't know why it works, then you haven't done any engineering.

Comment

I'll vote for the Overnight Sensations too (while disclosing that I've built them, so I'm biased).

This could be an easy first build for someone, or a fun project to keep someone's speaker building skills current.

If not the Overnight Sensations, then I'd look at some of Krutke's new designs found on the other vendor's site.
                        Last edited by williamrschneider; 10-20-2009, 08:07 AM.
                        Bill Schneider
                        -+-+-+-+-
                        www.afterness.com/audio

Comment

I also think my 'Sophomores' qualify.

Yes, Rory and I discussed this in reference to the OS's. Being that the construction was simpler, as well as the networks for the OS's, that made them edge out mine for simplicity and such.

And as Johnny said, the 8" 2-way I just finished would satisfy a lot of builders...

Later,
                          Wolf
                          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                          https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Here's an idea.

Over at DIYAudio.com, in the full-range driver forum, someone put forth the idea of a 'reference' full-range speaker - one that, if built, would embody the physical and sonic characteristics of an idealized single-driver loudspeaker and provide a good introduction to single-driver speakers. They started from a widely-available full-range driver and developed a range of designs for certain design goals.

Perhaps it's time for some PETT (Parts Express Tech Talk) reference loudspeakers. Starting from a combination of drivers qualified on the basis of performance (/consistency), availability (NO buyouts), and price (Not cheap, but within reason), we would develop a crossover and a series of box designs that this forum collectively 'vouches for' as being excellent performers.

Here are some of my thoughts as a baseline for the project:
                            • Mid-tweeter section that can function as a two-way mini-monitor. The same mid-high section should be standardized across all speakers in the series (same crossover and same driver orientation/spacing). (Ideally a 4" or 5.25" cone midbass, probably from Dayton RS series, and a specific tweeter.)
                            • A two-way mini-monitor, two-way slender reflex floorstander (Totem Arro as an example), and a three-way tower, for starters.
                            • Perhaps the bass section of the 3-way tower could be just as easily built into a separate enclosure and tucked away, like the original Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble speakers, and used with the mini-monitors.
                            • The set of reference crossover and cabinet plans should be made available in both PDF and DXF formats for home craftsmen or CNC work. - I can help out with this one - I can work the cabinets up in IronCad (similar to Solidworks) and the crossover schematics in AutoCad.
                            • Creative Commons license on the design - no commercial use except by Parts Express or by a third-party source producing a limited quantity (so nikbrewer or someone else can cut/build for someone), and any additions or modifications are allowed as long as the modifications are freely available for others' use. Design will be attributed to Parts Express Tech Talk Forum membership.
                            • I can see quite a few people having quite a few different opinions on this, so we'll have a thread to nominate drivers for the reference project, and a thread with a poll to select the drivers from 4 or 5 nominees, and a thread to cover cabinet design, crossover design, and the build process for the prototypes. We might need to nominate/elect a 'council' of three designers to officiate, putting things to a vote among themselves when it seems like there's no real popular consensus, or too many cooks.
                            • Maybe a reference small or large subwoofer.
                            • Could possibly be demonstrated at two or three DIY events before being finalized, to bring more of the community on-board with its recommendation, or let us know if we need to go back to the drawing board.

We could probably get through the design/prototyping stages in under six months, and what we'd wind up with is a project that is easy to build and delivers consistent, high performance for the dollar with the smallest project providing a reasonably low cost of admission. This would be a great way to promote the Tech Talk community within the DIY-sphere and answer the "what's a good design?" question for newcomers who are serious about building a design with plenty of reputation behind it.
                            Best Regards,

Rory Buszka

Taterworks Audio

"The work of the individual still remains the spark which moves mankind ahead, even more than teamwork." - Igor I. Sikorsky

If it works, but you don't know why it works, then you haven't done any engineering.

Comment

im liking this idea.

it is similar to the Zaph ZA5 family.

it goes from a MT sealed ot ported to a MTM, TMM, MTM center, MMTMM and MTMMM, all wit hthe same drivers.

i like the idea of the dayton refrence series. Maybe a dome tweeter, 4" mid bass, and 7" woofer?

Is there a design already like that somewhere? I would like to build a nice medium size 3 way

Comment

Working...
                              X