Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Iowa Designs Posted?

Hi Guys,

I was not able to attend this year and missed all the great fun that I have had the past five years. From what has been posted the event appears to have been another success. I am wondering if all of the designs will be posted somewhere. For those of use who follow the threads there are some available already but many have not been posted or I have not seen them. So the $2 dollar question is will all designs be collected and posted? I am really intrested is some of them as I am sure others are.

Doug, thank you again for your efforts. Thank you for all who have worked to pull this event together.

Kind regards,
    Eric Koeppen

Re: DIY Iowa Designs Posted?

So the $2 dollar question is will all designs be collected and posted?
    I don't think that happened last year. Some guys had handouts and others have blogs and Photobucket sites that are well known. I have neither so I'll just say that most of my info for the Thunderstiks can be found in my project album:

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/album.php?albumid=150

or in this thread:

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=208723

I'd be glad to answer any questions not answered there. One suggestion I've picked up since Saturday is to lighten up on the series resistor on the high pass circuit (Thanks Wolf!). I'll be putting that tweak to the test sometime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by turn2 View Post
      I don't think that happened last year. Some guys had handouts and others have blogs and Photobucket sites that are well known. I have neither so I'll just say that most of my info for the Thunderstiks can be found in my project album:

or in this thread:

I'd be glad to answer any questions not answered there. One suggestion I've picked up since Saturday is to lighten up on the series resistor on the high pass circuit (Thanks Wolf!). I'll be putting that tweak to the test sometime soon.
      May want to add a Jeff B trick to the tweeter as well, and that would be to bypass the input padding resistor by a cap of a few uF, maybe 4uF. That'll lift the top octave just a bit.
      R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
      Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
      "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

May want to add a Jeff B trick to the tweeter as well, and that would be to bypass the input padding resistor by a cap of a few uF, maybe 4uF. That'll lift the top octave just a bit.
        I should be able to try that, and I'll see if I can browse around for some examples. Thanks again Pete.

Comment

To give credit where credit is due, I brought the Cryolites by LouC. The design is posted here (well established and reviewed design)

My implementation was in a 21 L tower cabinet (made by Dave Ellis as defined here). I did the cutting, finishing, and added some bases and this is the result:

The only other change that I made from original is that I used Erse parts in the crossover. Values are as designed. I cannot say whether these sounded better than Lou's version of the crossover or not, but the Erse products did save about $35 in crossover components. :D

In the end, I was very happy with the result. I liked the cabinet construction which yielded a nice dead cabinet, with a svelte profile and a small footprint. The Cryolite design was one of the best RS180 TM designs I have heard and bests the Modula MT in the imaging category (very similar in bass).
          Last edited by tpremo55; 10-19-2009, 10:38 PM. Reason: more detail added...

Comment

Originally posted by turn2 View Post
            most of my info for the Thunderstiks can be found in my project album:

or in this thread:

Turn2,
            I really like the looks of that design and would like to build it in the future. I'm curious about the tweeter section of the crossover. It looks like the resistor (2.7 ohm) is in front of the high pass circuit. Is that common, I thought an L-pad went after the tweeter circuit? I'm new to crossovers, though!
            That's a nice design, and the shape with the slightly angled front really appeals to me.

TomZ
            Zarbo Audio Projects Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEZ...aFQSTl6NdOwgxQ * 320-641 Amp Review Youtube: https://youtu.be/ugjfcI5p6m0 *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
            *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF

Comment

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
              Turn2,
              I really like the looks of that design and would like to build it in the future. I'm curious about the tweeter section of the crossover. It looks like the resistor (2.7 ohm) is in front of the high pass circuit. Is that common, I thought an L-pad went after the tweeter circuit? I'm new to crossovers, though!
              That's a nice design, and the shape with the slightly angled front really appeals to me.

TomZ
              Pete Schumacher designed that crossover. I can't give you the technical breakdown on that methodology vs. what you would call a traditional l-pad. It is quite common, however. Here are a couple other examples that use the same technique, one by Wolf and the other I forget.
              Attached Files

Comment

I used the crossover designed by Jay Kim in my entry, the HDV-3. I played a bit with the values in the HP and I ended up at 6.6 ohm and 7.5 uF for the event, but may pad the tweeter more for use in my somewhat bright room here at home.
                I eventually ended up with an 8.5L box tuned to about 55Hz, but it took me while to arrive at that. The double thickness side walls sure didn't hurt anything! For those of you who bought a case of these and have not seen this thread, here are a few options for you to ponder...all thanks to Jay.
                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=211207
                Attached Files
                Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

Here's a link to a writeup on my Marcatos, graciously provided by Jeff Bagby.

http://www.box.net/shared/39uey2h19l

Paul

Comment

I get an error that "the user is not allowed to post direct links"--download won't start... tried in both FF and IE in case that would make a difference...

Comment

If you're referring to the link I included, I don't understand why it won't work for you. It certainly worked for me just before I started this reply and I'm sure many posts on this forum have included direct links that worked. In fact, I included that same direct link in a post back in April which many, many people used successfully.
                      Paul

Originally posted by ncpilot View Post
                      I get an error that "the user is not allowed to post direct links"--download won't start... tried in both FF and IE in case that would make a difference...

Comment

DIY Iowa Designs Posted

Great post GBTBT, I herd of people doing this but was confused by what they meant when they said that they using the 3M product.

So I guess U will end up with a solid mount with this procedure.

Comment

Originally posted by ncpilot View Post
                          Worked for me in Safari ....

Matt
                          Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with Windows.

We are passionate about great sound at whatever level we can afford, so don't let the audio atheists reduce the experience to a set of numbers and squiggly lines. - jbruner

Comment

Most sites are so poorly written for error handling nowadays, you may not get an accurate message--so I always suspect a cookie issue, since by default I have my settings turned off to accept cookies. Once I turned on cookies, the download worked...

Comment

Here's what I have for the Arpeggios:

http://files.me.com/labradork/4gvno9

Use at will. File under easy listening.

shawn
                              My favorite woofer is a Labrador retriever.

Comment

Working...
                              X