Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More Curt Campbell spawn.. Tritrix Complete!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Curt Campbell spawn.. Tritrix Complete!

Now I have to deliver them. *sniffle* Dad should love these, they sound fantastic!

PE's Cherry paperback veneer with light walnut stain and poly semi-gloss clear coat.

One roll was barely enough to cover the 22L design, but I think I managed to lay it down just right.

Dad's budget was $300; this included stands, speakers, power, the whole shebang. Of course, I dropped $40 to $50 on top of it for various little thingies, but his budget did include an on board Tripath TA2020 amp. I was worried about them being underpowered; happy to report that they have no problems in the loudness dept.
    Last edited by WWWJD; 11-07-2009, 04:48 PM.
    ~Mark

Stuff I've builded http://techtalk.parts-express.com/co...lies/smile.png

Re: More Curt Campbell spawn.. Tritrix Complete!

Originally posted by WWWJD View Post
    Now I have to deliver them. *sniffle* Dad should love these, they sound fantastic!

Dad's budget was $300; this included stands, speakers, power, the whole shebang. Of course, I dropped $40 to $50 on top of it for various little thingies, but his budget did include an on board Tripath TA2020 amp. I was worried about them being underpowered; happy to report that they have no problems in the loudness dept.
    Bloody Brilliant! I love to see unique applications for things. Love the finish too. :D

Comment

Best looking tritrixes I have seen here, love that cherry.

Comment

They look great. BTW, a pair just sold on Audiogon(!)

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....-mtm-transmiss

Look great, IMO.

NK
        I'm just that guy. www.sru.edu Rock Solid.

"It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion."

L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Comment

Yes, those are nice!! And the stands are equally impressive!!!

Comment

Looks awesome. I love the fact that they're active too. I always wanted to build some active speakers just for the heck of it, and using the ebay t-amp is a great idea as well as the only full range plate amp I've seen for making active speakers I've seen was like $125 and that would be per speaker. If I make speakers for anyone I might have to consider going that route since it probably sounds better than most cheap receivers. And you can hook your iPod up to them ;)

Comment

Originally posted by nick29498141 View Post
              They look great. BTW, a pair just sold on Audiogon(!)
              Look great, IMO.

NK
              Boy.. I could never sell. Spending gobs of time on projects like this, only to sell them for the cost of materials just doesn't seem right. I would almost rather give them away.

I think I'm really falling in love with the whole "active speaker" bit; it really adds a whole new level of utility to the mix. Portability, simplicity, etc. Most of the gainclone / tripath amps with appreciable output can run on 12-24VDC. It's really appealing to me lately. In dad's case, he didn't want to buy a receiver (can't blame him). His V037L Vizio has variable out with basic EQ features. Right now they're sounding great. He was having a new kind of Wii zen moment when I left.

Thanks for all the comments guys.
              ~Mark

Comment

Mark, got a link to the Tripath you went with? I've been thinking about a self-powered set for my wife's sunroom. Since she only ever wants to plug in her iPod, it'd be a great idea.

BTW, sharp work, top to bottom. I'd be proud.
                nothing can stop me now

Comment

Here you go Dirk. Kit takes about an hour to assemble. Easy stuff.

http://www.41hz.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=43
                  ~Mark

Comment

What, just add a regulated power brick and that's it? KICK A55.
                    nothing can stop me now

Comment

very nice. and a really cool idea.
                      i can here him ............... oh, thank you, my son built those for me.
                      " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
                      Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
                      http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by WayneN View Post
                          Mark,

I realize there is a bit of a difference between the two amplifiers but I am curious if you have tried the Dayton Class-T Digital Audio Amplifier? Which AMP6 did you use and what did they cost you?

WayneN
                          Both the enclosed and open (kit?) Dayton Class T amps are based on the Tripath TA2024; of which I have one of the older silver cased version. IMO, it's not quite enough of an amp to push anything to a level I'm happy with without beginnings of distortion. The TA2020 is the next level up in the chip series and so far, I haven't had any complaints. I've been paying $60 for the 2020 kits; there are cheaper complete amps with the same chip out there, but the build quality from the China amps is really disappointing from what I've seen. The 41hz kits are laid out much better, and are more flexible for this type of project.

While the Dayton amp / TA2024 is rated for 4 ohm loads, and will do it, the construction of the Dayton unit doesn't accommodate heat sinks. 5 minutes on a 4 ohm load, and the finger touch test screams premature failure. They get quite warm when they're loaded down. Proper heat sinking would alleviate this concern, but like I said, it's not doable with the construction method used in the Dayton series. All they had to do to do it right would have been to sink it to a piece of aluminum or sheet metal; it wouldn't have taken much. Again... China. That's all I have to say about that. ;-)
                          ~Mark

Comment

BEAUTIFUL!
                            I love the crisp look. Very Scandinavian. The stands repeat the shape for a perfect match. I like the black which will disappear in the room so they float. You're Dad must be pleased and you should be very proud.
                            Questions: I'm totally ignorant on the amp used. Did you use a wall-wart power supply? What Voltage/Current does the amp need?
                            Also does it connect to the other speaker via RCA or 1/4" jacks? How much signal does it take to drive to full output? Will an mp3 player do it?

I'll also follow the amp link for details but wanted to say congratulations on such a nice job.
                            Chris

Comment

Originally posted by cpcarter View Post
                              BEAUTIFUL!
                              I love the crisp look. Very Scandinavian. The stands repeat the shape for a perfect match. I like the black which will disappear in the room so they float. You're Dad must be pleased and you should be very proud.
                              Questions: I'm totally ignorant on the amp used. Did you use a wall-wart power supply? What Voltage/Current does the amp need?
                              Also does it connect to the other speaker via RCA or 1/4" jacks? How much signal does it take to drive to full output? Will an mp3 player do it?

I'll also follow the amp link for details but wanted to say congratulations on such a nice job.
                              Chris
                              A 3A 12VDC brick or wart is plenty (this tallies up to a whopping 36W, which doesn't sound like much by numbers; speaker output speaks differently however :-). I used RCA connectors on 18AWG wire for speaker connections. The input gains on the amp kits are typically adjustable like on the one I used; this allows the user to apply anything from low mV line level to fairly high preamp outputs (4Vpp I think). Outside of that, I just use a 50K stereo pot for level matching on the inputs. And Thank You. :-)
                              ~Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X