Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hmm, Dayton RS28F - F??? What have we here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• davepellegrene
    replied
    Re: Hmm, Dayton RS28F - F??? What have we here?

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
    I'll tell you what, Dirk. If you are really interested in building the speaker. Let me know and I'll share the design with you.

Jeff
    I have waited for a response for 24 hours. I hope he PMed you. Since I heard these at InDIYana I have gatherer all the info you have put out there. I have been playing with it in PCD. I'd share it with you but you would probably say " not quite sure what you're trying to do there,but". Any way I sure hope you do share it someday. Unbelievable sound came out of those.
    Dave

Leave a comment:

• Jeff B.
    replied

Originally posted by PunkSweeper View Post
    To each is own.
    Let's be fair to Pete here. You did make a point of this. However, I doubt you want a paper cone tweeter to go with your paper cone midbass, or a woven carbon fiber tweeter, or woven kevlar tweeter (although that's been done, just not very well). And you don't want a soft silk cone midbass either. So, what would a soft dome be a material match to in midbasses? Even in metal drivers it's not really a match since the material thickness and shape for an aluminum woofer and a tweeter are very different in ways to really matter. In the end, to me anyway, this postion of matching materials just doesn't seem to hold up very well. But, as you say, "to each his own."

Leave a comment:

• PunkSweeper
    replied

I guess you can tell I'm not much into "matching" driver materials for any other reason than aesthetic.

Hey, you brought up matching driver materials, not me . . . :D
    To each is own.

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Predictable response much? :p
    I guess you can tell I'm not much into "matching" driver materials for any other reason than aesthetic.

Hey, you brought up matching driver materials, not me . . . :D

Leave a comment:

• PunkSweeper
    replied

Then where is the silk cone to match the silk tweeter? :rolleyes:
    Predictable response much? :p

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Well, I don't see why perfect uniformity in cone material could be totally mute, and I'd still like to see some RS drivers with less breakup-prone cone materials such as Titanic-style Kevlar impregnated paper, Polypropylene, or even Woven Carbon Fiber.
    Then where is the silk cone to match the silk tweeter? :rolleyes:

Leave a comment:

• dlr
    replied

Originally posted by shawn_a View Post
    Very interesting indeed. Nothing like an Usher 9950 or 9930 dome. I might have to cabbage onto a pair of these to play around with. Dig through the sofa time I guess.

shawn
    To me it looks like a challenger to the SS D2905/9700, the copper-clad soft dome that also has a rising top end. Likely rising due to the lowered inductance profile. They use the same soft dome, 9300/9500/9700 I think. That makes it somewhat of a clone of the 9700, since the Usher was something of a clone of the SS line.

The droop is gone purely due to the soft dome, another plus in my book. Sure looks like a great driver at a great price to me if the consistency is there. That's the hard part of soft domes (pardon the pun).

dlr

Leave a comment:

• PunkSweeper
    replied

No reason whatsoever. Jeff B did the Dreydel using metal cone mid woofer and fabric dome tweeter.

And as anyone whose heard the Dreydel will attest, in this case, metal and fabric are a match made in audio heaven.
    Well, I don't see why perfect uniformity in cone material could be totally mute, and I'd still like to see some RS drivers with less breakup-prone cone materials such as Titanic-style Kevlar impregnated paper, Polypropylene, or even Woven Carbon Fiber.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    Finally arrived....

Originally posted by critofur View Post
    I wondered how long it would take....

Looks very feasible for a *lot* of projects.
    You prolly can't go wrong with either unit.
    Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Originally posted by critofur View Post
    I am assuming, and please someone chime in, that the response plot for the RS28F is for 1W (2V) and the RS28A is for 2W (2.83V) input.

Thoughts?

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Originally posted by rickyj View Post
    Why wouldn't they pair well with the aluminum cone drivers? With an FS of 530 and the possibility to cross low I would think they would pair quite well with the aluminum cone drivers. I guess someone other than myself (I have no idea on how to design a good crossover) just needs to make a purchase and try them out.
    No reason whatsoever. Jeff B did the Dreydel using metal cone mid woofer and fabric dome tweeter.

And as anyone whose heard the Dreydel will attest, in this case, metal and fabric are a match made in audio heaven.

Leave a comment:

• rickyj
    replied

Why wouldn't they pair well with the aluminum cone drivers? With an FS of 530 and the possibility to cross low I would think they would pair quite well with the aluminum cone drivers. I guess someone other than myself (I have no idea on how to design a good crossover) just needs to make a purchase and try them out.

Leave a comment:

• PunkSweeper
    replied

Originally posted by Dirk View Post
    Why not? There's nothing heinous about using a fabric dome with metal woofers. Otherwise, what would you use with this?

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=296-606

:rolleyes:

This is just my opinion, but metal drivers get a "metal sound" when their breakup nodes are too prevalent. In the hands of a good XO designer, cone material isn't something you can hear. The only drivers I've ever heard with a totally distinctive sound are planars, but they're a whole different kettle of fish.
    I'm partial to planars. They are, in fact, what I'd pair to such a woofer.

It's also where my belief in uniformity in driver material starts to become irratonal...:rolleyes:

Leave a comment:

• Dirk
    replied

Ok, ok, thanksorryou're welcome.

My point is, I'd never use the fabric RS with an RS (or any) aluminum-coned mid or woofer, especially when there's a great aluminum RS tweeter.
    Why not? There's nothing heinous about using a fabric dome with metal woofers. Otherwise, what would you use with this?

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=296-606

:rolleyes:

This is just my opinion, but metal drivers get a "metal sound" when their breakup nodes are too prevalent. In the hands of a good XO designer, cone material isn't something you can hear. The only drivers I've ever heard with a totally distinctive sound are planars, but they're a whole different kettle of fish.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff B.
    replied

Originally posted by Dirk View Post
    I so want a pair of those in my office.

I sure wish Prometheus would share the fire with the rest of us stuck in the dark... ;)
    I'll tell you what, Dirk. If you are really interested in building the speaker. Let me know and I'll share the design with you.

Jeff

Leave a comment:

Working...
X