Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hmm, Dayton RS28F - F??? What have we here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dirk
    replied
    Re: Hmm, Dayton RS28F - F??? What have we here?

Originally posted by PunkSweeper View Post
    Unless there's a paper RS line coming out, I'd say this thing's a little cannibalistic for the Silkie.
    So you're saying you'd pair this with a $10 paper cone 6.5" buyout woofer?

Leave a comment:

• PunkSweeper
    replied

Unless there's a paper RS line coming out, I'd say this thing's a little cannibalistic for the Silkie.

On another note, I'm waiting for a ND28-A to come out to go with the smaller RS drivers and the re-branded Aura line Dayton is selling now.

Leave a comment:

• Dirk
    replied

Originally posted by jclin4 View Post
    Also, a minor observation: the RS28F will be less kid-proof.
    Why?

"Cast aluminum faceplate with protective mesh grill"

Leave a comment:

• Dirk
    replied

The top octave response is governed by geometry. I don't see why it would be all that much different than any other 1.125" dome in terms of top end roll-off. Given that the tweeter seems to have a top octave rise, I bet it's pancake-flat 15 degrees off-axis.

Leave a comment:

• jclin4
    replied

If you like (and can hear) extra sparkle, this might be an improvement. Otherwise the RS28A sounds pretty good, even with its 15k dip, does it not?

Also, a minor observation: the RS28F will be less kid-proof.

Leave a comment:

• gowa
    replied

Yes, the reason I'm always suspicious when there is something basic missing is the fact we all know that the manufacturer tested for them. When there is something so basic as off axis missing, it just tells me there's something not quite right here. TB is notorious for this. You are hard pressed to find off axis measurements for anything they produce. That's why I never buy unless there are good graphs as a starting point or if someone I trust used the product and will give me an unbiased opinion. Sure slows the purchasing process.

Leave a comment:

• Face
    replied

I would never buy a mid or tweeter without off axis curves.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Originally posted by rogoll View Post
    That's what I was trying to get across in this thread http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=214110

But it seemed to be met with a good bit of disagreement.
    I agree... BxL can be part of telling one what type of "dynamics" a driver has... Mms (and Fs) can tell one what type of "tone" to expect... and Xmax also dynamics.
    Full "Q" specs would also be nice for tweeters... all these specs are important "guesstimations" about a tweeter's "tone", and output.

Leave a comment:

• rogoll
    replied

Originally posted by gc1 View Post
    As usual, they don't have Force Factor, Xmax, and Mms specs... seems for that much money, one could get the basic specs!!
    That's what I was trying to get across in this thread http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=214110

But it seemed to be met with a good bit of disagreement.

Leave a comment:

• charlielaub
    replied

Originally posted by gc1 View Post
    As usual, they don't have Force Factor, Xmax, and Mms specs... seems for that much money, one could get the basic specs!!
    Although Xmax would be nice, the other specs that you mention are not really all that relevant for a tweeter... I too would like to see some off-axis response plots.

-Charlie

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Leave a comment:

• shawn_a
    replied
    Upon further review

I'll take a WAG that it's sharing quite a bit of DNA with an Usher 9950-20. The mesh grille was throwing me off for one thing. Comparing specs between the two, it's like the RS is a 4Ω version of my favorite tweeter. There are differences in their frequency response plots but I wonder if it has to do with possible differences in test baffles and such. Still this is a big honkin' blip on my radar now. Can't ignore it.

shawn

Leave a comment:

• shawn_a
    replied

Originally posted by gowa View Post
    I guess its just me that is suspicious when there is no off axis measurement present. Don't you think that is an important part of measurements?
    I'd sure like to see at the very least one off-axis plot. Be it 30 or 45 degrees but it would be a bit more telling.

shawn

Leave a comment:

• gowa
    replied

I guess its just me that is suspicious when there is no off axis measurement present. Don't you think that is an important part of measurements?

Leave a comment:

• shawn_a
    replied

Very interesting indeed. Nothing like an Usher 9950 or 9930 dome. I might have to cabbage onto a pair of these to play around with. Dig through the sofa time I guess.

shawn

Leave a comment:

Working...
X