• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dmontella
    replied
    Re: Murphy Corner Line Array (MCLA)

Update time:

1. Pictures for the project are attached
    2. I've gotten better at using the DEQ2496 (RTA, GEQ, PEQ). I have 3 memory settings at this time (a. MCLA specified settings-flat response, b. RTA AutoEQ, c. my ear/interpretation)
    3. I still am very dissappointed with the sound. Very colored, minimal impact.
    4. I have not done measurements, but it appears as if the off access reponse drops off very quckly.
    5. Positives- bass response appears to be pretty good. Nowhere near as good as my infinite baffle sub in my family room.

Next steps:
    1. Continue to muck around with my ear/interpretation curve
    2. I'm going to give it a couple more weeks. If I'm not happy at that time I'll sell the speakers (for cost of the drivers) without the DEQ2496.

I'm open to suggestions.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Sidi
    replied

They work especially well in a large drill press. Mark and pilot each one for a line array, and it's just pull, shift, pull, shift, pull, shift. And take the blank out in between of course.

For tweeters, a forstner bit makes it even easier. Just have a shop vac running and you can get 40 holes in 30 minutes.

Leave a comment:

• ROTECH
    replied

Originally posted by LTD02 View Post
    Nice project and write-up JM.

Although it has been mentioned, I thought that it might be useful to re-mention that there is a tool called a "hole saw". It attaches to a drill and can be used to cut/drill 3" diameter holes with relative ease.

I dont know if many of you have seen these hole-saws yet. They are meant for wood, they are incredibly cheap too. I picked up an 8pc set 1''-3'' for like $18.99. They work the nutz, they do not bind or collect MDF cuttings.
    http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...1&keyword=hole saws&storeId=10051

Leave a comment:

• christianb
    replied

dmontella, all your observations seem like negatives. Can you list some things you like about them? Also, any chance to get a picture of them in their setup?

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• LTD02
    replied

Nice project and write-up JM.

Although it has been mentioned, I thought that it might be useful to re-mention that there is a tool called a "hole saw". It attaches to a drill and can be used to cut/drill 3" diameter holes with relative ease.

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• dmontella
    replied

I need to preface what i'm going to say by stating i am not an expert at audio/speaker building and I do not have a good reference point to use as a comparison for the MCLA's.

The beta version of the speakers are done and in. I'm designating them as beta versions because I think some tweaking is required.

Configuration-
    emotiva umc1 preamp/processor
    Mcintosh mc2100
    Sonos, digital output, all lossless music
    Current speakers- paradigm studio 60
    Behringer deq2496

MCLA config-
    7 feet long
    22 Aura 3" 8 ohm drivers per side
    Flat eq settings based on mcla spec

Room-
    13x25x7.5
    Speakers on short wall
    Single double pane window 4 feet from each speaker
    Hardwood floors
    Not much absorptive material in room

First impression (highly subjective)
    Bass a little boomy
    Highs somewhat muted
    Lacks precision (crack of the drum, tight bass)
    Off axis dispersion (approx 25 deg) noticeable decrease in highs

Things I can tweak-
    Maybe i have too much/little insulation in box
    Seal box better with silicon
    Eq settings
    Change equipment (amp, source)

Leave a comment:

• christianb
    replied

Can't wait to hear how you like them!

Leave a comment:

• dmontella
    replied

The new DEQ2496 came in today and so far so good- the unit is working as I type. I wired one of the speakers yesterday and will wire the second later today. I should be able to get them installed this weekend.

Leave a comment:

• dmontella
    replied

The project is moving along. The cabinets are built, sanded, and the first coat of primer is on them. After the painting is done I'll be putting the speakers into the enclosure and doing the wiring.

I would like to mention that a major concern that I have for the project is the lack of reliability associated with the Behringer DEQ-2496. Before purchasing the unit I read many forum posts on various sites regarding problems with the DEQ2496. While it was a concern, I didn't have too many options so I pulled the trigger and bought the unit. I had some time this evening and I decided to give it a whirl with my existing system. Sure enough the DEQ2496 was DOA- nothing but a pulsating orange blank screen upon start-up. I'll continue to plow forward on the build and deal with the DEQ2496 on Monday.

Leave a comment:

• russ_L
    replied
    Murphy Corner Line Array (MCLA)

Hi John- well I'm building again in the basement (13' x 22') after a two-year hiatus :rolleyes:, so I'm still interested in precut woodwork.

Checked out the ND91-8 at PE. Lists for $22.16 (10+). That will probably come down over time. PE indicates that the 91 is a robust replacement for the 90 in the low frequencies.

Russ

Leave a comment:

• dmontella
    replied

Yes. Ordered it yesterday.

Leave a comment:

• impulse
    replied

Originally posted by dmontella View Post
    I ended up going with the Aura NS3-193-8A1. I'll let you know how it goes.
    Great, looking forward to see how it goes. It looks like the Aura NS3 and the Dayton is the same driver. Are you planning to use the recommended Behringer EQ?

Leave a comment:

• dmontella
    replied

I ended up going with the Aura NS3-193-8A1. I'll let you know how it goes.

Leave a comment:

• impulse
    replied

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
    While it's ordinarily not a good idea to try substituting drivers in a proven design, I think in THIS case, it would almost be insane (except for possibly the AURA "drop-in"). Ha Ha Ha Ha !

The 3" drivers are small enough (but can still get rewardingly low). That tiniest of drivers will really lose surface area, and I believe their stroke is more limited as well. You could always start from scratch and design your own system though.

Chris
    What about the Aura NS3-193-8A1? Isn't that the same driver as the ND90-8?

Ups, sorry, didn't se post #168

Leave a comment:

• Chris Roemer
    replied

Originally posted by dmontella View Post
    I am interested in building the MCLA and I got approval from the wife to move forward. However, I just noticed that the ND90-8's are on back order until May. In addition, they don't have 50 of the ND90-4's and even if they did, qty 50 pricing is not available.

I am interested in your thoughts on alternatives. For instance, would the ND65-8's or ND65-4's come close (assuming I increased the driver count)?
    While it's ordinarily not a good idea to try substituting drivers in a proven design, I think in THIS case, it would almost be insane (except for possibly the AURA "drop-in"). Ha Ha Ha Ha !

The 3" drivers are small enough (but can still get rewardingly low). That tiniest of drivers will really lose surface area, and I believe their stroke is more limited as well. You could always start from scratch and design your own system though.

Chris

Leave a comment:

Working...
X