Floating some InDIYana 2010 ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floating some InDIYana 2010 ideas

I'm not sure if I'm going to be the one to host the event next year but I've been working on some ideas. First let me address the situation. I'm planning on being a student again soon so until I can get a grasp on my class schedule and the work load I'm not sure if I'll have the time to do it. I want to, to be quite sure, but I wanted to keep things open and flexible. That's one reason why I'm posting about this now and not any later. If it gets to the point where I feel I cannot do a good job of hosting the show I will be more than happy to let someone else take the reins. That decision will happen rather early in the year, say no later than the middle of February. So....

What I'm thinking about doing is a very laid back, spring warm-up type of show. No competitions, just a bunch of guys sitting around and listening to a good bunch of speakers. Lots of chit-chat, exchanging of ideas and such. Another idea that I broached with my guitar instructor today was perhaps having him stop in to give an impromptu concert that I could record. If the venue would allow, I also had the idea that given the musical inclinations of many of the board members here that folks could also bring their instrument of choice and do what they want for a few minutes or so. Listening to speakers is great but sometimes I think we need to loosen the chops a bit and hear some live music as a sort of interlude. Also, I'm thinking about making this a 1.5 day affair for those who want to come into town on Friday. People can come and go as they please. Just thinking aloud right now but overall I am looking for a easy-going event with a twist. What y'all think?

shawn
    My favorite woofer is a Labrador retriever.

You know I'm game!

Yeah- I'll be there. Hopefully have the cap-switcheroo setup ready too!
    Later,
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Re: Floating some InDIYana 2010 ideas

I'll be there, job willing.

Cheers / Robert

Comment

I have been MIA the last few DIY events, which I'm really unhappy about, but that's just how things have turned out. I do plan on attending an InDIYana, if there is one. Our new baby is due in February, so I'm definitely going to want to get out, get some fresh air, and some contact with the outside world by that point. ;)
        Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
        Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

that was my first DIY event so i would look forward to riding down again in 2010.
          david golemba
          chesterfield michigan

Comment

Yup - Plan on going unless get stuck with an out of town (Texas or Florida) job. Want to hear Wolf's cap test demo if he gets it built. Good times to be had by all.

George
            "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." - Edward Hoagland

Comment

Originally posted by gorbs View Post
              that was my first DIY event so i would look forward to riding down again in 2010.
              +1

Comment

Originally posted by fbov View Post
                +1
                I would try to make it. I will probably have some SB Acoustics kits to show that I have been working on. Who knows, might bring a couple "pro's" with me too.

Jeff B.
                Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

I plan on attending but as to playing musical instruments, I no longer have the proper embouchure or enough wind to play my trumpet! I did get it out an toot it a few times several months ago before loaning it to my younger grandson, but mostly I just scared both cats!
                  Paul

Comment

I hope to attend as well.

The bringing of musical instruments is interesting, I may now have an excuse to find my clarinet and start practicing again.

Matt
                    Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with Windows.

We are passionate about great sound at whatever level we can afford, so don't let the audio atheists reduce the experience to a set of numbers and squiggly lines. - jbruner

Comment

I should be able to make it again next year. I have two designs I would like to get some feed back on. Don't worry I will supply ear plugs just in case.:D
                      Dave
                      http://www.pellegreneacoustics.com/

Trench Seam Method for MDF
                      https://picasaweb.google.com/101632266659473725850

Comment

I plan on attending. I could potentially play a 3 minute goof off round on my acoustic guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by brianpowers27 View Post
                          I plan on attending. I could potentially play a 3 minute goof off round on my acoustic guitar.
                          It may not be fully appreciated, but if I can fit them in the Jeep I will bring my kettle drums along. :eek:;):D
                          Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Maybe I should save my ear plugs for the live music sets:D
                            http://www.pellegreneacoustics.com/

Trench Seam Method for MDF
                            https://picasaweb.google.com/101632266659473725850

Comment

I plan on being there. And Shawn's proposed relaxed format sounds good. Of course, it's always good to see the gang.

I hope to bring a 3-way using a pair of RSS210, RS100-4, RS28a, LR2 all round. I'm going to build this thing based solely on modeling from Jeff's spreadsheets and Paul K's suggested TL. Then I'd like to get feedback from the golden eared among you (Jeff, Wolf, Dan . . .) to see how well the predicted results stand up, and if there are any areas that need adjusting. :o

And I'm really looking forward to seeing who Jeff is bringing along
                              R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
                              Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                              "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Working...
                              X