Clear All

• GR-Research tweeters any good?

Are these tweeters any good?

Anyone here use them before?

http://www.gr-research.com/index.asp...ROD&ProdID=108

http://www.gr-research.com/index.asp...ROD&ProdID=109
    What's life without a little boom...

Re: GR-Research tweeters any good?

I had a set of T3's to give as a door prize at InDIYana last Spring, and they are a decent tweeter, especially for the cost. Not too low Fs, but damped well enough to use to 1.8 kHz 3rd electrical according to Danny (GR). I would use a pair if I had the opportunity.

I have not even measured the T6.
    Later,
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Thanks Wolf. I am just looking for decent tweeters for my first real project from scratch. For the woofers I haven't decided between Silver Flutes or the TB W5-704D. These will be a simple MT 2-way. Just curious for some tweets to use. I know you have projects using both those types of woofers and have answered some of my questions already. Any more tweeter opinions you have would be grateful. My budget is like 20-30 per tweeter. or cheaper of course, but I want to use somewhat decent gear in this build.

Comment

What about the NorthCreek D25-06S? They are still on his site for sale and I have never heard a bad comment about them.
        Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

The GR tweeters look like these Tang Band tweeters. Think they are related, Wolf? http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1208_03/25-669sf.htm

Comment

Having matched pairs is good, but for the cost I'd suggest considering the SB Acoustics SB25. They're less expensive and have a better motor plus they can easily cross down to 1.5K LR4. Not shielded, though. They aren't matched pairs, but if you are into more DIY, they can be tweaked to make the pair match much better.

SB25 tweeter

dlr
            WinPCD - Windows .NET Passive Crossover Designer

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

Originally posted by Thezeek View Post
              The GR tweeters look like these Tang Band tweeters. Think they are related, Wolf? http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1208_03/25-669sf.htm
              The first one in the OP does look like a Tang Band. The second one looks like a Vifa/Peerless D27TG-05 variant with shielding from what I see.

dlr
              WinPCD - Windows .NET Passive Crossover Designer

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

Both are unlikely to perform poorly, but I wouldn't use them at ridiculously low frequencies, for instance.
                I am trolling you.

Comment

Originally posted by MSaturn View Post
                  Both are unlikely to perform poorly, but I wouldn't use them at ridiculously low frequencies, for instance.
                  I'd take the TB over the Silver Flute for that reason. It's THD in the upper levels is just a notch better, and its response is a bit smoother in the stop band, allowing for a simpler filter. There's a bit of "breakup" peaking in the Sliver Flute that's just not there in the TB, and it shows up in the distortion spectrum, with a large peaking of 5th harmonic, right at 1500Hz.

If you have a tweeter that can cross at 1500Hz, use it. The Silver Flute is a nice performer below 1000Hz, and a lower XO point, like 1500Hz, makes it much more attractive.

From Zaph.

TB THD sweep:

Silver Flute:

TB response:

Silver Flute response:
                  R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
                  Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                  "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Indeed, I've never heard someone speak ill of that TB driver, and I've used it myself and enjoyed it greatly. The Peerless 830656 is also excellent.
                    I am trolling you.

Comment

It actually more resembles a Vifa face-plate, for the T3:

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/pro...oducts_id=1087

Later,
                      Wolf
                      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                      https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by tom_s View Post
                        What about the NorthCreek D25-06S? They are still on his site for sale and I have never heard a bad comment about them.
                        I thought about that tweet too. But was not sure if it was still available. Where can I find it?

Comment

I'd take the TB over the Silver Flute for that reason. It's THD in the upper levels is just a notch better, and its response is a bit smoother in the stop band, allowing for a simpler filter. There's a bit of "breakup" peaking in the Sliver Flute that's just not there in the TB, and it shows up in the distortion spectrum, with a large peaking of 5th harmonic, right at 1500Hz.

If you have a tweeter that can cross at 1500Hz, use it. The Silver Flute is a nice performer below 1000Hz, and a lower XO point, like 1500Hz, makes it much more attractive.

From Zaph.

TB THD sweep:

Silver Flute:

TB response:

Silver Flute response:
                          Thanks for all that info. If I can find a tweeter to go low enough for the silver flute, I may use it. If not, I do not have any problems using the TB. I like them both for some reason and since I joined this forum I have had my eyes on both. And shielded isn't an issue for me either, I was just looking at some tweeters and those GR's happened to be shielded

Comment

Originally posted by dlr View Post
                            Having matched pairs is good, but for the cost I'd suggest considering the SB Acoustics SB25. They're less expensive and have a better motor plus they can easily cross down to 1.5K LR4. Not shielded, though. They aren't matched pairs, but if you are into more DIY, they can be tweaked to make the pair match much better.

SB25 tweeter

dlr
                            I didn't know of that tweeter. Is it pretty good? I like treble and stuff, but hate when tweets are harsh sounding. I prefer more laid back high end for listening. Suppose it depends on the crossover too.

Comment

I thought about that tweet too. But was not sure if it was still available. Where can I find it?
                              http://www.northcreekmusic.com/

I am surprised that he still has any left since they seem to be well thought of, especially for the price.
                              Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

Working...
                              X