Keppler-ish "RSEX" build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keppler-ish "RSEX" build

Well, progress is being made on my new speaker build for my friends home theater. I'm using the XBL^2 EX-6.5 buyout woofers in a partially new design based on the "Keppler" speaker.

The new speaker will be named the RSEX :rolleyes: based on the RS28F tweeter and the 6.5-EX woofer.

I will use the same cabinet dimensions [P.E. .50 cu ft cabinet] and baffle layout but the following changes will be made: 3/4" thick baffle (instead of 1" like the P.E. baffle) with 3/4" roundover, and, instead of Peerless HDS tweeter I will use the Dayton RS28F-4 1-1/8" Silk Dome Tweeter. (I'm building my own cabinets, but, basically copying the STD. P.E. .50 for others future convenience)

To start I will build 3 pairs, at least one pair will have the same box + baffle layout except it will have different woofers: Peerless HDS Nomex 6.5 model 830875. I purchased my 830875s when they had them on buyout special, but the are now (once again) a regularly stocked P.E. item: Peerless 830875 6-1/2" Nomex Cone HDS Woofer

Picture! Tweeter recessed, woofer is not, for now, may decide to later after measurements:

"...this is not a subwoofer" - Jeff Bagby ;)

RSEX Crossover (To Be Designed)

Space Reserved For Crossover + More Pics

EDIT: Summer is here! Garage is warm again, work on these begins again :D
    Last edited by critofur; 05-10-2010, 11:45 PM.

Comment

Re: Keppler-ish "RSEX" build

Sounds nice. Are you shooting for 1.5kHz xover for the EX?
      Brad
      piano black sealing mdf irregular recesses grill technique

Comment

Originally posted by bmaupin View Post
        Sounds nice. Are you shooting for 1.5kHz xover for the EX?
        I expect around there, yes ~ I will look at both my future measurements and the previous crossover used in the Keppler before deciding on my initial test crossovers, then, proceed from there until I get something I'm happy with.

Here's another pic - getting ready to cut the woofer hole on one of the baffles:

Here's the router circle jig I'm using lately:

Comment

Sweet, looking forward to your RSEX build. I'll be useing that that woofer in a 3-way this winter, The Romulan Agents of Doom.
          Keep us posted, as I think you will, with pictures.

Comment

Uploaded some more photos on Flicker...

Uploaded more pictures here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/critofu...7622980822989/

I can't recommend that glue enough - it's so nice to use glue that doesn't drip.

Building boxes with a nailgun is fast and easy (compared to clamping) but - the outer boards should be a hair larger because the joints just aren't as tight.

The time and effort "per box" is FAR less building three pairs of boxes, compared to building one pair of boxes!

Comment

How does this midbass driver compare to its' competitiors?

Comment

Originally posted by spasticteapot View Post
                How does this midbass driver compare to its' competitiors?
                The EX-6.5? Or the Peerless HDS Nomex 6.5?

The EX doesn't have much in the way of competition in terms of bass output and extension from a small woofer usable in a small box, I gather.

Unfortunately, it has a sudden drop at about 1.6Khz making a two way difficult. I'm assuming that if the Peerless HDS can work, then the Dayton RS28 can also work.

I'm thinking the ideal application for the EX-6.5 (or it's replacement, the new Anarchy 6.5) is: one pair per L + R speaker in a 3-way, giving you a nice slim tower with decent full-range output for music. Subwoofer would only be needed for HT use with such a speaker.

-----

Ah, I just thought of a neato idea: move the woofer a bit further down on the baffle, turn the speaker on its side, and put an MDM-55:
                Attached Files

Comment

Your coming right along! I saw that same glue today while getting a new flush trim bit. That would sure be handy in certain situations. What's the curing time on that one? I do like the fact that Titebond II sets up so quickly. I never seem to have enough clamps, so the sooner they come off, the sooner I can start gluing up the other enclosure.
                  Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

I've started taking some measurements, the port tuning seems a lot higher than intended:

Here's with the Peerless HDS Nomex 6.5 woofer:

And here's with the 6.5-EX woofer:

I'm using this port:

Part #: 260-478, Port Tube 2-1/2" ID x 8-1/2" L Flared in a .5 cubic foot cabinet (clone of the PE one).

Originally posted by tom_s View Post
                    Your coming right along! I saw that same glue today while getting a new flush trim bit. That would sure be handy in certain situations. What's the curing time on that one? I do like the fact that Titebond II sets up so quickly. I never seem to have enough clamps, so the sooner they come off, the sooner I can start gluing up the other enclosure.
                    Oh, sorry I missed your reply somehow - been a while now. The Mldg & Trim glue sets fairly fast, I don't think it's any slower than the TBII? I actually just tried the TBII again recently for the first time in many years. It's runny and it drips, but it's cheaper and spreads on easier.

EDIT: As to not having enough clamps - well - after having worked in the speaker factory for a while, I couldn't go without nail guns in my shop. I mostly use an 18 guage brad nailer, faster than clamping + you don't have to unclamp later, and, you can basically build as many cabinets as you want at once (have to have enough wood pieces cut, of course).
                    Last edited by critofur; 05-11-2010, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by critofur View Post
                      ...I'm using the XBL^2 EX-6.5 buyout woofer...
                      It looks like I was mostly offline when you originally posted this. I curious about the woofers. Are they still available?

Looks like an interesting build

Aaron
                      Thanks,
                      Aaron

Comment

Nope- They're gone, NLA.
                        Later,
                        Wolf
                        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                        https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Hardly gone, Wolf
                          http://www.diycable.com/main/product...roducts_id=538

What's gone is the very low price...

Comment

EDIT: I've updated post #10 with a picture of the port measurement for the 6.5-EX woofer. I need to measure the impedance to see if the electrical FS matches the peak of the port output... Hmm...

Since the port tuning is a little higher than I wanted, I think I will build a base which is the appropriate distance away from the port exit to act as a bit of an "extension" to the port, I'll see how much I'm able to lower the tunning frequency...

Originally posted by aarond View Post
                            It looks like I was mostly offline when you originally posted this. I curious about the woofers. Are they still available?

Looks like an interesting build

Aaron
                            It will be interesting to compare the 6.5-EX version to the Peerless HDS version - I should be able to do a very similar crossover, though the HDS woofer does not need nearly as low of a crossover point as the EX.

I don't have any of the new "Anarchy" woofer that fbov has linked to, though I would like to try some, I may be getting some eventually.

One other thing I can't decide yet: if I already have RS28F tweeters, is it still worthwhile to also get some of the Peerless HDS tweeters? Based on many various posts I've read about the RS28F it seems like it's probably one of the best dome tweeters available, at any price (particularly so, if one wants to crossover below 2 - 3 Khz). So, while I'm curious and want to try the HDS, it seems like it might just be a waste of $160...

Comment

Not same driver, Frank. The Exodus was in the Kepler, not the Anarchy.
                              Later,
                              Wolf
                              "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                              "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                              "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                              "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                              https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Working...
                              X