Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Enclosure Dayton 10" DVC with 70 Watt AMP?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Best Enclosure Dayton 10" DVC with 70 Watt AMP?

    I just purchased the Dayton 70 watt sub amp to use with a Dayton 10" DVC Sub. I am wondering what the best box size is for a small sealed box. It seems like in the reviews 1 to 1.25 cubic feet is what people are using. Does anyone have any exact inside dimensions that would work for music and light duty HT? I could go vented as long as it stayed under 1.5 cubic feet if you guys think that would be better.

    Thanks for the input

  • #2
    Re: Best Enclosure Dayton 10" DVC with 70 Watt AMP?

    Model #?
    New to speaker design? Click here.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Best Enclosure Dayton 10" DVC with 70 Watt AMP?

      Dayton SD270-88 10" Shielded DVC Subwoofer

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Best Enclosure Dayton 10" DVC with 70 Watt AMP?

        I used the SD215, which is the 8" version of that speaker, in a sealed enclosure with the same 70 watt amp and I wasn't impressed. With the limited xmax of these drivers and the low power of the amp the results in a ported enclosure were much more favorable. So I would recommend a ported enclosure if at all possible. But I think you may have to exceed the 1.5 ft to do it.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Best Enclosure Dayton 10" DVC with 70 Watt AMP?

          Originally posted by rws79 View Post
          I just purchased the Dayton 70 watt sub amp to use with a Dayton 10" DVC Sub. I am wondering what the best box size is for a small sealed box. It seems like in the reviews 1 to 1.25 cubic feet is what people are using. Does anyone have any exact inside dimensions that would work for music and light duty HT? I could go vented as long as it stayed under 1.5 cubic feet if you guys think that would be better.

          Thanks for the input
          Hi, you could go 1.5 cubes sealed ,that would get you an F3 around 50Hz, but I think if you go much smaller than that you may end up with a Boom Box.
          With a vented enclosure I would say you need 2.3-2.5 cubic tuned to aruond 25Hz, that would give you the most bang for your buck!.
          I am not an expert, but many members here are, so someone else may yet correct me.
          Good luck,
          Neil
          Last edited by nbuk; 01-04-2010, 05:13 PM. Reason: Spelt my own name wrong.....DUH!

          Never try to teach a pig to sing.
          Its a complete waste of time, and it just annoys the pig !.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Best Enclosure Dayton 10" DVC with 70 Watt AMP?

            You're not going to want to hear this but the 10" SDVC hasn't been nearly as popular around here as the 12" SDVC.

            As others have said, in a small sealed box the 10" doesn't really get below 50hz. And the 10 and 12 both need about the same sized box for a vented alignment. Hence, more folks go with the 12.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Best Enclosure Dayton 10" DVC with 70 Watt AMP?

              The Dayton shielded series just don't work in a sealed box. As was pointed out above, the 10" models pretty much the same as the 12" so the only reason to go with the 10" would be to save a few bucks at the cost of lower output in the same enclosure. With all the other costs associated with a subwoofer build, there is very little to justify the slight cost savings by purchasing the 10"

              Now, if you already have the 10" and the plate amp, follow the recommendations above and enjoy a high value subwoofer!.
              Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Best Enclosure Dayton 10" DVC with 70 Watt AMP?

                Thanks for the input. I will probably go with a 1.5 cubic foot box sealed. I think 50 Hz will do for now, since it it is replacing a 4" cyber Acoustic Sub with 30 watts going to it. If I could talk my wife into the 2.3 cubic foot box. what type a port would I need to put on it for optimal sound (diameter and length)? My internal Box Dimensions will be a cube of 16".

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Best Enclosure Dayton 10" DVC with 70 Watt AMP?

                  Originally posted by rws79 View Post
                  Thanks for the input. I will probably go with a 1.5 cubic foot box sealed. I think 50 Hz will do for now, since it it is replacing a 4" cyber Acoustic Sub with 30 watts going to it. If I could talk my wife into the 2.3 cubic foot box. what type a port would I need to put on it for optimal sound (diameter and length)? My internal Box Dimensions will be a cube of 16".
                  An internal cube of 16" will give you a net volume of about 2.1 ft after deducting for braces, driver and amp.

                  For box tuning of 27hz you need a vent of 3"x10.15". That should yield max output of around 106db and F3 of 39hz.

                  I don't know anything about the filters in that amp - the filters could change your output significantly. Maybe someone else can help with that - anyone? anyone? Bueller?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Best Enclosure Dayton 10" DVC with 70 Watt AMP?

                    For woofers with limited Xmax, I strongly suggest tuning to EXACTLY the woofer's Fs, and shooting for a box volume very close to Vas or up to 20% smaller. For the 10" DVC, this would be a 4 ft^3 enclosure tuned to 30 Hz exactly.

                    I recommend this because the woofer's Fs, or resonant frequency is also the frequency at which it reaches its maximum excursion in free air. Below that frequency, excursion decreases due to the woofer's own compliance, and above that frequency, excursion decreases because the driver operates in the constant-acceleration range. Tuning at Fs will yield the greatest undistorted output, because the resonant action controls the cone's excursion, and using a box size equal to Vas gives you the classic B4 vented-box alignment, but you may use a smaller box if you're counting on a good amount of room gain. Set the tuning frequency to 30 Hz in WinISD, leave it there, and adjust the box volume until you get the flattest response.
                    Best Regards,

                    Rory Buszka

                    Taterworks Audio

                    "The work of the individual still remains the spark which moves mankind ahead, even more than teamwork." - Igor I. Sikorsky

                    If it works, but you don't know why it works, then you haven't done any engineering.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Best Enclosure Dayton 10" DVC with 70 Watt AMP?

                      Originally posted by Taterworks View Post
                      For woofers with limited Xmax, I strongly suggest tuning to EXACTLY the woofer's Fs, and shooting for a box volume very close to Vas or up to 20% smaller. For the 10" DVC, this would be a 4 ft^3 enclosure tuned to 30 Hz exactly.

                      I recommend this because the woofer's Fs, or resonant frequency is also the frequency at which it reaches its maximum excursion in free air. Below that frequency, excursion decreases due to the woofer's own compliance, and above that frequency, excursion decreases because the driver operates in the constant-acceleration range. Tuning at Fs will yield the greatest undistorted output, because the resonant action controls the cone's excursion, and using a box size equal to Vas gives you the classic B4 vented-box alignment, but you may use a smaller box if you're counting on a good amount of room gain. Set the tuning frequency to 30 Hz in WinISD, leave it there, and adjust the box volume until you get the flattest response.
                      agreed, but the OP has a wife imposed max box size he's limited to. Also, the attached pdf spec sheet has Fs at 26.9hz. Oops, sorry, that's 29.6. Vent should be closer to 3"x8"

                      There are a lot of compromises here, his first choice is a sealed box at 1.5ft. Yikes.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Best Enclosure Dayton 10" DVC with 70 Watt AMP?

                        I also have 2 of the SD270-88s (10"), and I have not built an enclosure yet for exactly the reasons which are being tossed around in this thread. As I recall I was leaning toward a sealed box (my focus being a leaner bass more suitable for music, if that makes sense) and ended up concluding a 50l sealed box (1.75 ft^3) was about the minimum one would want to use. I don't recall the resulting Q but it was something like 0.7.

                        Isn't there anything more creative one can do with these low-cost drivers?
                        Action speaks louder than words but not nearly as often. -- Mark Twain

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Best Enclosure Dayton 10" DVC with 70 Watt AMP?

                          If any woofer just screamed "PUT ME IN A PORTED BOX!", the Dayton Shielded DVC woofer would be it.

                          Its OK in sealed but the output is pretty lame, even with the 12". Put it in a well tuned ported box and its a different animal. Great bang for the buck and not power hungry at all, which is good because its not happy with much over 100W. (150W is the max amp I'd use)

                          Skip the 10, get the 12.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Best Enclosure Dayton 10" DVC with 70 Watt AMP?

                            Thanks for the input. I bought the 10 inch along time ago, I wish I would have bought the twelve. I think this weekend I will build a 1.5 cubic box out of some scrap MDF to see how it sounds. If I don't like I will go with the sixteen inch cube with the 3" port, and just make it look cute so my wife will like it. I think I will be satisfied with the sealed version since it is for my bedroom. Thanks though, you guys are awesome.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Best Enclosure Dayton 10" DVC with 70 Watt AMP?

                              Originally posted by rws79 View Post
                              Thanks for the input. I bought the 10 inch along time ago, I wish I would have bought the twelve. I think this weekend I will build a 1.5 cubic box out of some scrap MDF to see how it sounds. If I don't like I will go with the sixteen inch cube with the 3" port, and just make it look cute so my wife will like it. I think I will be satisfied with the sealed version since it is for my bedroom. Thanks though, you guys are awesome.

                              Here's my version, using WinISD for the volume and port dimensions:



                              2.3 ft3 net, heavily braced, 3"D x 9 3/8"L port, sprayed with truck bed liner. Now I made a mistake with the port location...it should be at least 3" away from the inside walls. I measured wrong regarding where the bracing was, so I had to put the port a little too close to the side and bottom panels. It still sounds great, but the others I made for friends had the port located further away from the corner. I use mine for 2-channel music, so I don't need sub 30Hz performance. Outperforms commercial units that cost 4 times what I have into it. I've used the 70 watt and the 100 watt amp with the 10" SDVC. If your SO will sign off on a 3 ft3 box, go with the 12" and 100 watt amp, especially if you'll be using it for HT also. I don't have the numbers for the 12", but a quick run-through with WinISD should give you some dimensions & port size for a ported 12" box. Let us know how it turns out. Oh, nevermind! I see you already have the 10" SDVC...

                              John A.
                              "Children play with b-a-l-l-s and sticks, men race, and real men race motorcycles"-John Surtees
                              Emotiva UPA-2, USP-1, ERC-1 CD
                              Yamaha KX-390 HX-Pro
                              Pioneer TX-9500 II
                              Yamaha YP-211 w/Grado GF3E+
                              Statement Monitors
                              Vintage system: Yamaha CR-420, Technics SL-PG100, Pioneer CT-F8282, Akai X-1800, Morel(T)/Vifa(W) DIY 2-way in .5 ft3
                              Photos: http://custom.smugmug.com/Electronic...#4114714_cGTBx
                              Blogs: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=2003

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X