Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finalizing Statement Monitor Build - Few Questions

Hey All.

I've been working on a Statement Monitor build for quite some time. At this point, the enclosures are taking shape, the crossovers are being wired, and I'm beginning to think about finishes.

One large debate I've had recently relates to internal wiring. I've wired half the crossovers, being the lows and highs, and I'm currently using plain white speaker cable from Radio Shack to connect the components (http://tinyurl.com/yl3nbn8). Does anyone see any benefit to re-wiring the crossovers with better quality wire? My understanding is that the quality of wire is of less concern then the gauge and length. Thoughts?

The second issue that I'm running in to is the finish. I'd love to re-create the gloss black enclosure that the Statement Monitors were originally pictured with (http://tinypic.com/r/15gcvt1/6). However, I have been unable to find sheets of black veneer that are large enough to fit the enclosure. Can anyone comment on the look of the Dayton black vinyl coating? Will I be impressed?

Thanks in advance for any help. I've done a lot of work to find the majority of my answers online, but these continue to allude me.

- Russ -

PS - I've been taking a few photos of the progress, will post them in the future.

Re: Finalizing Statement Monitor Build - Few Questions

Check out the FX sheeting at Alsa corp. It will give you a great gloss black finish. It is pricey, but very easy to work with. Make sure you have the substrate smooth as can be or it will telegraph the smallest imperfection. But, I found it easier than painting when I used it on this project.

http://www.alsacorp.com/products/she...sheetingfx.htm

DP

Comment

Thanks, donparsons. It looks pricy, but it may be worth it. I'd still love to hear other suggestions just in case there are other ideas floating that might not break the bank.

Comment

I agree. It depends what your time is worth. Right before I did the sub project, I did piano black finish on Zaphs B3S and it took me a long time (>20 hours). For the sub, I got the substrate right and did the peel and stick thing and had a great result in an hour. It cuts with scissors or a razor. However, my sub WAS only one enclosure. So it was half the cost of your statement monitors.

Looking forward to your pictures...

Originally posted by AVDweeb View Post
        Thanks, donparsons. It looks pricy, but it may be worth it. I'd still love to hear other suggestions just in case there are other ideas floating that might not break the bank.
        DP

Comment

Hey All.
          One large debate I've had recently relates to internal wiring. I've wired half the crossovers, being the lows and highs, and I'm currently using plain white speaker cable from Radio Shack to connect the components (http://tinyurl.com/yl3nbn8). Does anyone see any benefit to re-wiring the crossovers with better quality wire? My understanding is that the quality of wire is of less concern then the gauge and length. Thoughts?
          Hi,

I finished a set of Statements Monitors a couple months ago, and am really enjoying them. When I built the crossovers I was able to lay out the components so no additional wire was needed except the short runs to the terminal strip. For that I used some 12-guage romex strands (solid copper) I had on hand. If it's thick enough and connected well, wire's wire at these signal levels, in my amateur opinion. Between the components, I just used their existing leads.

I went with wood veneer on mine, so can't comment on your second point.
          Last edited by cowtown; 01-08-2010, 12:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cowtown View Post
            Hi,

I finished a set of Statements Monitors a couple months ago, and am really enjoying them. When I built the crossovers I was able to lay out the components to no additional wire was needed except the short runs to the terminal strip. For that I used some 12-guage romex strands (solid copper) I had on hand. If it's thick and connected well, wire's wire at these signal levels, in my amateur opinion. The components were just connected using their existing leads.

I went with wood veneer on mine, so can't comment on your second point.
            Do you have pictures of your crossovers by chance?

Originally posted by donparsons View Post
            I agree. It depends what your time is worth. Right before I did the sub project, I did piano black finish on Zaphs B3S and it took me a long time (>20 hours). For the sub, I got the substrate right and did the peel and stick thing and had a great result in an hour. It cuts with scissors or a razor. However, my sub WAS only one enclosure. So it was half the cost of your statement monitors.

Looking forward to your pictures...
            Where'd you get the Piano Black coating from? Is it the Dayton Vinyl stuff?
            Last edited by AVDweeb; 01-07-2010, 11:00 PM. Reason: Added Quote.

Comment

Do you have pictures of your crossovers by chance?
              This is all I've got unfortunately. Before the terminals were installed, but gives the basic layout. This is the switchable BOM....
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by cowtown View Post
                This is all I've got unfortunately. Before the terminals were installed, but gives the basic layout. This is the switchable BOM....
                Those look great!
                Later,
                Wolf
                "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Where'd you get the Piano Black coating from? Is it the Dayton Vinyl stuff?
                  I'm the FX sheeting guy...
                  DP

Comment

Those monitors do look great! I love the contrasting veneers!

Comment

Hey All.

I've been working on a Statement Monitor build for quite some time. At this point, the enclosures are taking shape, the crossovers are being wired, and I'm beginning to think about finishes.

The second issue that I'm running in to is the finish. I'd love to re-create the gloss black enclosure that the Statement Monitors were originally pictured with (http://tinypic.com/r/15gcvt1/6). However, I have been unable to find sheets of black veneer that are large enough to fit the enclosure. Can anyone comment on the look of the Dayton black vinyl coating? Will I be impressed?

Thanks in advance for any help. I've done a lot of work to find the majority of my answers online, but these continue to allude me.

- Russ -

PS - I've been taking a few photos of the progress, will post them in the future.

One of the other posters said that "wire is wire", and for the most part I agree with them. 18 gauge or better inside the cabinet is fine. I prefer stranded vs. solid simply due to its workablility (at audio frequencies, I think the difference between solid and stranded are opinions for the most part). You do want to pay attention to the quality of the wire itself. I've seen some pretty ugly stuff being sold...tarnished or corroded copper. Stay away from this and you'll be O.K. The 16 gauge Radio Shack stuff you listed will be more than adequate. Anyone saying otherwise is not basing it as much on reason as they emotion.

Bottom line, go ahead with the Radio Shack speaker wire.

Comment

Indeed, wire is wire. Just don't wind it into circles or put it through the middle of inductors or something ..
                        I am trolling you.

Comment

Nice looking work, Cowtown.

Comment

I personally like the wood look or wood with black, also solid wood will usually turn out much nicer the veneer.
                            Mine are Solid curly maple baffle and cherry veneer box.
                            I love the contrast and overall look cowtown, nice work.
                            Attached Files

Comment

I'm working on a pair of Statement Monitors right now and they're giving me fits. Granted I don't have really nice tools, my table saw is cheap. And I've only built a few other projects. Still these seem to be more obnoxious than most for some reason.

Anyways, I cut everything, glued a cabinet top and bottom to a side and went to put the mid tunnels in so I could glue the other side on and by the time you put in the spacers, then the mid tunnel, then the other spacer the whole stack is about 1/8 inch too tall. Very annoying.

I may just use a chop saw and cut little square pads to hold the mid tunnel in place instead of long strips (which require the table saw) because then it should be easier to get the thickness exact.

One question that is pretty easy/obvious but I've never seen asked or answered is how does everybody get the wire for the mids into the tunnel? Just drill a small hole in the bottom near the driver, run the wire and seal it with caulk?

Comment

Working...
                              X