Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zaph has data posted for the most recent round of testing!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zaph has data posted for the most recent round of testing!

Check www.zaphaudio.com

I found it in his blog. Most of the measurements are up with commentary still forthcoming. Truly an interesting test group.

Cheers,
    Matt
    Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with Windows.

We are passionate about great sound at whatever level we can afford, so don't let the audio atheists reduce the experience to a set of numbers and squiggly lines. - jbruner

Re: Zaph has data posted for the most recent round of testing!

That Goldwood 6028 doesn't look too crappy.
    Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Hah! I knew it! Ain't that a b*tch. Even the Le(X) plot is alright! Man, I am totally building some ultra-budget speakers.

Also, that AC woofer is really nice, besides the wonky FR.
      I am trolling you.

Comment

yes it does johnny. the little 850443 peerless too. i hope someone sent him an 8" goldwood.
        " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
        Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
        http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
          yes it does johnny. the little 850443 peerless too. i hope someone sent him an 8" goldwood.
          I was seriously considering sending a pair of 8" Goldwoods with the 6.5ers but didn't. I probably should have though. Oh well, cest la vie.

That Peerless looks like it would be fun to use at some point.
          Matt

We are passionate about great sound at whatever level we can afford, so don't let the audio atheists reduce the experience to a set of numbers and squiggly lines. - jbruner

Comment

Originally posted by MSaturn View Post
            Hah! I knew it! Ain't that a b*tch. Even the Le(X) plot is alright! Man, I am totally building some ultra-budget speakers.

Also, that AC woofer is really nice, besides the wonky FR.
            I've even got a design that uses 'em! Do a forum search for "Shenanigans", they're some nice little ultra-budget two ways. I could even arrange for a day off at work if you want to come down on a day trip to listen to 'em. PM me if interested.

As far as the AC woofer, I presume you are referring to what it has going on above 2K?

Matt

Comment

That new Scanspeak measures nice, is nice until you discover the cost
              ($221).

For $16, the Vifa ox is hard to beat, but the falling FR will need to be shaped to become flat.

As for the ones with impedance peaks of 100+ Ohms, well...

I hope there's more surprise packets in the remaining drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by jamikkim View Post
                That new Scanspeak measures nice, is nice until you discover the cost
                ($221).

For $16, the Vifa ox is hard to beat, but the falling FR will need to be shaped to become flat.

As for the ones with impedance peaks of 100+ Ohms, well...

I hope there's more surprise packets in the remaining drivers.
                Big impedance peaks are related to driver Q....... it's not a design flaw.... (inductive rise is different, and undesirable in most cases)

Comment

I was surprised the T/S params for the MCM 55-2421 were so close to MCM's listed specs. Yeah their Le is a little optimistic but everything else was pretty close. Even FS was within 2hz (and who knows that could drop a bit with usage).

Comment

I was surprised at the Kappa Perfect components. I wonder if that identical cliff in each driver is a surface mount artifact?
                    Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

I am surprised at that too.

However, the max height of break-up mode is quite low for stiff coned woofers(both 6.1 and 5.1 woofers are) unlike that of Magnesium coned Excels. This seems to be consistent with what Infinity claimed for their CMMD technology.

Original thread:

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...highlight=ligs

I was hoping someone with design expertise can help me with the XO simulation, at least bring the combo to a more even response, if the woofer may present a big BBC dip if crossovered at 3.5 k hz as the spec says.

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=215370

Comment

AC130/50CK. Wow, impressively low HD performance. Clean and clean throughout. Good efficiency. 6 mm xmax. Certainly a notch above the Peerless Exclusive, the SB Acoustics, or the TB W5-1685. I'd even choose this over the Scan Speak 15W/8530 if it were available under $150 and to be used in an LR4 design. Due to the response anomaly above 2 kHz, I wouldn't do LR2.

The SS Revelator is still the king of 5.25" hifi drivers IMO. Will this Aurum Cantus be available in the US?

Comment

I contacted PE in June of 09 about ordering the ac130/50ck. They quoted me a price of $86/ea with a fair amount of time to get them in. Those were my drivers that John tested. I was pleasantly surprised with the HD results, although the FR sure makes any crossover design more challenging, but definitely possible.

I have had some Scan-speak 9900 tweeters laying around for quite some time that I want to pair with them. I just need to find someone to design a crossover, maybe Selah or Meniscus.

I was wondering if one could use an LR2 slope, say somewhere between 1.7K and 2.1K with one or two parallel notch filters?

Chris,
                          Last edited by czag; 01-13-2010, 08:33 PM.
                          Chris

Goofing around since 2000.

Comment

There are plenty of people HERE who'd make you a crossover for a driver that nice. You could probably do LR2 with those, yes. The rising HD of the AC130 should be tamed if you go low enough - but the SS is a ballsy tweeter. The HD on the AC130 seems to correlate directly with the FR, which means a notch will do a lot of good - say a broader Q job at 2.2Khz, and a sharp one at 4.5Khz. Then you could likely get away with a single inductor.

The breakup appears to be related to cone geometry; note the energy storage at those breakup points which propogates lower at the same interval.

Also, if anyone has some of those 850443's, I'd be willing to buy four of them. I don't want $80 worth, though.
                            I am trolling you.

Comment

Originally posted by czag View Post
                              I contacted PE in June of 09 about ordering the ac130/50ck. They quoted me a price of $86/ea with a fair amount of time to get them in. Those were my drivers that John tested. I was pleasantly surprised with the HD results, although the FR sure makes any crossover design more challenging, but definitely possible.

I have had some Scan-speak 9900 tweeters laying around for quite some time that I want to pair with them. I just need to find someone to design a crossover, maybe Selah or Meniscus.

I was wondering if one could use an LR2 slope, say somewhere between 1.7K and 2.1K with one or two parallel notch filters?

Chris,
                              Only $86! I think PE should get them in as regular sales items. LR2 with the SS 9900 should not be out of the question though LR4 will get you a smoother on-axis response. It may be possible to skip a delay circuit because of the SS's slightly waveguided flange. I don't think you can cross it below 2 kHz with a LR2 slope. 2.1 to 2.2 kHz will be a better choice. Yes, the crossover will need a couple of notch filters (series or parallel).

Jay

Comment

Working...
                              X