Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jzagaja
    • Nov 2010

Re: Flex Your PCD Mettle:

New player in the game - dipolar snap-in waveguide for AMT. Watch Joachim Gerhard work on G-poles.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Starkiller4299
      Midrange Member
      • Aug 2010

Ok, sorry to get a teensy bit off topic, but now that I've installed a new W7 compatible DVD drive, and then Windows Office, which has allowed me to run PCD...

I'm having a wee bit of trouble generating a .zma with the response modeler portion. Attached is a screenshot of the spreadsheet 'in action'. I would appreciate it if anyone could give me a bonk on the head and let me know what I'm screwing up. Thanks!

In the meantime I'll just need to play with the tweeter :p.
      Attached Files

Comment

• bruson
        • Aug 2010

OT: I'm flexing my HolmIpulse mettle (or lack thereof) below.

My son is going to help me get PCD up and going sometime soon.

Speaker: SUB (2-15" Clamshell design), MID (B&C 10PS26) and TWEET (B&C DE250)

All together @ 2M:

SUB alone @ 2M:

MID alone @ 2M:

TWEET alone @2M:

MID and TWEET @ 2M:

I have lots of reflections and comb filtering going on in my echo chamber of a room.

Taking measurements at 1M and 1 foot look better with many fewer suck outs and peaks.

Subjectively it sounds really good with all the many imperfections.
        When I listen up close at about 2 feet the sound is very smooth.

Lots of work to do to improve it.

Any comments?

Comment

• Skywave-Rider
          Been Around Awhile
          • Jun 2008

bruson,
          Have you tried inverting the polarity on the sub and measured?

I think that would be useful to A/B but at or near the listening position. Don't know if that is 2m.

I think it looks pretty good so far for a real world listening room.
          http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/14/bu...html?src=busln

http://mixonline.com/mag/audio_new_york_metro_46/

Comment

• bruson
            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Skywave-Rider
            bruson,
            Have you tried inverting the polarity on the sub and measured?

I think that would be useful to A/B but at or near the listening position. Don't know if that is 2m.

I think it looks pretty good so far for a real world listening room.
            Sub reverse polarity:

Normal Polarity:

All from my sitting position about 9 feet away.

With a simple polarity change, without touching the mic a lot of things changed.
            I'm using the Dayton EMM6 mic and a Behringer Xenyx 502 pre.
            Are they that sensitive?
            I noticed when I move the mc 1/2 inch to an 1 inch lots of big changes happen. It can make my measurements lot OK or terrible.

Is there a better way?

Comment

• Zilch
              Seasoned Veteran
              • Jun 2008

ONE speaker at a time, unless the mic is precisely (within 1/8") on the acoustic center between them.

Are you doing that?

Comment

• bruson
                • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Zilch
                ONE speaker at a time, unless the mic is precisely (within 1/8") on the acoustic center between them.

Are you doing that?
                I am using only one speaker at a time. And the sub. No change except for the polarity on the sub.

Wild disparities happened multiple times at different measurements. Sometimes a huge midrange suck out, sometimes the tweeter rolled off steeply at 5K. Wacky. Or my inexperience is showing. Maybe something is intermittent and I haven't tracked it down yet. So I show the good readings not the great readings, too unbelievable. I also don't show the really fantasy crappy readings. I hope I figure it out soon.

My sub FR may look a little goosed because with 2 main speakers playing I think they add about 3db to all frequencies above 100hz. I may end up with reversed polarity when I go back to 2 main speakers so it adds a bit more bass for taste.

Comment

• KLR
                  Been Around Awhile
                  • Aug 2008

Hey Zilch,

Has anyone used the Eminence Beta 12LTA?

Thanks.

Comment

• Skywave-Rider
                    Been Around Awhile
                    • Jun 2008

If you can't replicate the results, excepting maybe for very LF when a truck rumbles by, then you have issues. I had that problem measuring in SoundEasy. So I gave up on that and went with different measuring software. If you don't change anything, and you're getting variable results, you might have some software problems as I did, or maybe intermittent switching in your system.
                    PS, get behind the mic and don't move around when measuring. : )

Originally posted by bruson
                    I am using only one speaker at a time. And the sub. No change except for the polarity on the sub.

Wild disparities happened multiple times at different measurements. Sometimes a huge midrange suck out, sometimes the tweeter rolled off steeply at 5K. Wacky. Or my inexperience is showing. Maybe something is intermittent and I haven't tracked it down yet. So I show the good readings not the great readings, too unbelievable. I also don't show the really fantasy crappy readings. I hope I figure it out soon.

My sub FR may look a little goosed because with 2 main speakers playing I think they add about 3db to all frequencies above 100hz. I may end up with reversed polarity when I go back to 2 main speakers so it adds a bit more bass for taste.

Comment

• bwaslo
                      • Jan 2008

Particularly if you're using a laptop, try disabling the Wifi and Bluetooth adaptors in it. The drivers in some of them can cause all sorts of interference and stuttering in audio streams.
                      Free & Free-form simulator/designer for Passive Crossovers
                      SynergyCalc 5: design spreadsheet for Wooden horns and DIY Synergy Waveguides
                      Super easy and cheap to make high performance sound diffusers

Comment

• LouC
                        Seasoned Veteran
                        • Oct 2005

Will this thread never die? The horse is dead, it's bones are fossilized...

Lou's Speaker Site [speakers.lonesaguaro.com]
                        "Different" is objective, "better" is subjective. Taste is not a provable fact.
                        Where are you John Galt? I may not be worthy, but I'm ready.

Comment

• rudyjakubin
                          Seasoned Veteran
                          • Sep 2005

Originally posted by LouC
                          Will this thread never die? The horse is dead, it's bones are fossilized...
                          Not Yet! I wanna see how the views column handles 100,00...:p

Comment

• Skywave-Rider
                            Been Around Awhile
                            • Jun 2008

Great thread.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• bruson
                              • Aug 2010

Skywave-Rider:
                              Originally posted by Skywave-Rider
                              If you can't replicate the results, excepting maybe for very LF when a truck rumbles by, then you have issues. I had that problem measuring in SoundEasy. So I gave up on that and went with different measuring software. If you don't change anything, and you're getting variable results, you might have some software problems as I did, or maybe intermittent switching in your system.
                              PS, get behind the mic and don't move around when measuring. : )

bwaslo:
                              Particularly if you're using a laptop, try disabling the Wifi and Bluetooth adaptors in it. The drivers in some of them can cause all sorts of interference and stuttering in audio streams.
                              ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

I learned not to move around except to move my finger to click the mouse!
                              Still got highly variable readings.

So I think the software idea and bwaslo's idea of disabling things will be tried next.

I think I had too many other programs running at the same time. I'll try just Holmimpulse alone and see if I get better results.

Thanks!

Also played around with one third octave smoothing and my FR looks good enough for marketing purposes! What a joke.

Comment

• Zilch
                                Seasoned Veteran
                                • Jun 2008

Originally posted by rudyjakubin
                                Not Yet! I wanna see how the views column handles 100,000...:p
                                We are pikers here; the main thread on AK is pushing a million views for its third anniversary. :D

Originally posted by LouC
                                Will this thread never die? The horse is dead, it's bones are fossilized....
                                Congratulations!! You scored Post #1001 -- thank you for your contribution. ;)

This thread is alive and well; hundreds of DIYers all over the world are designing and building EconoWaves according to the precepts documented here. Its role as a reference resource is reflected in the view count.

[There are at least three Mini-Ewaves that'll be migrating into "prime time" here shortly.... ]

Comment

Working...