No announcement yet.

RSS315HF-4 as the anchor of a 3-way???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RSS315HF-4 as the anchor of a 3-way???

One last mod. After another few hours of listening, I backed down the mids just a smidge more. Added a 12 Ohm shunt resistor on the mid terminals to pull down the level of the Scan by maybe one more dB. The shunt brought the mid level down across the band much more evenly than by increasing the series padding resistor.

These are now simply "luscious." :D That's the best one-word description I can give. In their present setup, they sound as good to me as anything I've ever heard. Bass performance is stunning, with a deep reach and an effortless presentation. I had a track of Chinese drum recorded in mega HD playing earlier tonight. Wow. Simply wow. Concussive, crisp, floor shaking. I only wish I had more power!!!

The guys at Scanspeak really got the name of the Revelator line right. They reveal detail and presence unlike most anything else out there. Vocal reproduction is so smooth and easy. And the sound of Nils Lofgren's live acoustic guitar in "Steve Don't Go" is as close to perfection as I can imagine. Tory Amos in "Pancake" is riveting, her voice doing harmonic stuff that just makes my jaw drop. I've been limiting myself to 45 minute sessions to keep my ears fresh, but I could just go for hours, especially with really engaging recordings.

I'm now to the point where I like them so much that I don't want to stop listening, disassemble, and then wipe the finish on them. I guess that means I'm done with the XO and will have to force myself to do without for a few days. One day of finish sanding and the first application of tung oil. Another coat the day after that and I should have them playing again. Still trying to come up with a base. Haven't quite decided on a final style yet, but that can be done any time in the next couple months.

Back to the music.
    R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
    Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
    "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Great Job Pete........and a very different but appealing cabinet design as well! The RS315-HF is THE bass driver IMO.......imagine that baby actively powered and crossed !!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem13 View Post
        ......and a very different but appealing cabinet design as well!
        Thanks. I'll take all the design credit for the cabinet, but D,Rose is the master of fabrication.

What I want to know is why Andy_G hasn't said squat about that cabinet. It's anything but a rectangular box!!! :p
        R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
        Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

"Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

The guys at Scanspeak really got the name of the Revelator line right. They reveal detail and presence unlike most anything else out there.
          Not from "reveal", but from "revelation" or
          from Wiktionary:

"NounSingular
          revel
          Plural
          revels

revel (plural revels)

An instance of merrymaking; a celebration.  [quotations ▼]
          Our revels now are ended. -- Shakespeare "

Later,
          Wolf
          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
          https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
            Not from "reveal", but from "revelation" or
            from Wiktionary:

"NounSingular
            revel
            Plural
            revels

revel (plural revels)

An instance of merrymaking; a celebration.  [quotations ▼]
            Our revels now are ended. -- Shakespeare "

Later,
            Wolf
            Revelation: n.
            1. The act of revealing or disclosing.
            2. Something revealed, especially a dramatic disclosure of something not previously known or realized.

I'll stick with my description . . . :p

Comment

Pete, your project looks a lot like this one I just stumbled across.

http://elfranche.stormpages.com/

Any more changes after another week of listening?
              "It is only Scrooge McDuck and others with a personality disorder who have money as their goal"

Comment

Originally posted by jonasz View Post
                Pete, your project looks a lot like this one I just stumbled across.

http://elfranche.stormpages.com/

Any more changes after another week of listening?
                Wow. Isn't that something? Similar mid, Dayton Reference Sub, 15" PR. I like the looks of mine better though.

Nope, no changes. I like them where they are more than any other previous setup. It's really nice having a simple way now to adjust the mid level to suit the room. But I think I've found the stopping point.

I've gotten a few coats of tung oil/varnish on one cabinet now, and rubbed with steel wool. One or two more passes and I'll consider it done and move to the next enclosure. I'm not looking for a glossy finish by any stretch, just smooth and natural. Also got the mid chamber on this enclosure treated with a couple layers of roofing felt held in place by some spray adhesive. Two braces using 3" wide, 3/4" thick solid oak planking will be added to each cabinet to reduce what minor panel resonances there are.

Comment

Well, I suppose a crappy picture from my cheap camera is better than nothing. Here's a shot of the finished cabinet side. It's gorgeous!!!

Comment

Wow - these are looking fantastic! Are you keeping these or are they built for someone else?

Comment

Originally posted by superspeeder View Post
                      Wow - these are looking fantastic! Are you keeping these or are they built for someone else?
                      These are keepers!!! :D

Comment

Nice work Pete! Great to hear that you have the x-over squared away.

Please keep us posted. I want to see some finalized pics! ;)

Comment

Originally posted by anunnaki View Post
                          Nice work Pete! Great to hear that you have the x-over squared away.

Please keep us posted. I want to see some finalized pics! ;)
                          Come to Iowa and let your ears see them in person . . . ;)

Comment

I wish I could but I cannot get a trip there into my schedule. :(
                            It really is not that far away though. Perhaps next year...

Comment

Finally got the finish on the Byzantiums.

I used Formby's Tung Oil/Varnish, low gloss. I put two coats on, then steel wool, cleaned, two more coats, steel wool, and then one more coat, and a final coat thinned out with a bit of paint thinner. Nice, smooth, uniform finish. My wife is really pleased with the way they turned out. I even impressed myself, being a total noob when it comes to finishing veneer.

Home stretch . . . now I just need some feet or a platform to finish them off. And I've still not decided on the finish for the back of the box . . .

I'm pooped. Time for bed.

Just gotta talk Ryan in to coming over with his camera so I can get a few nice pics of the pair.

Comment

Did you ever get any pics of these to post ?

Btw that spltrace link you sent me worked very well. Thanks again so much
                                Thanks ,
                                JB

Comment

Working...
                                X