No announcement yet.

RSS315HF-4 as the anchor of a 3-way???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RSS315HF-4 as the anchor of a 3-way???

Originally posted by DjDisturbed View Post
    Did you ever get any pics of these to post ?

Btw that spltrace link you sent me worked very well. Thanks again so much
    You are most welcome. I found that on this forum, just like you.

No pics just yet. My camera sucks, so I'll have to wait until Ryan comes by with his professional optical capture device.
    R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
    Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
    "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Hey Pete...i'm working on my RSS315HF-4 cabs now at 100L tuned to 23hz and they'll be the active stereo bottom of.....well....something as of yet undecided but here's the question. They'll be driven in stereo actively with an NHT B-20 Pro subwoofer amp which will be capable of 400w at 4ohms RMS. The amp is equipped with a selectable LP filter 12db/oct with the max setting of 230hz.....and that's where i'd like it to be but i'm concerned with the cone breakup. I suspect these will be topped with a serious pro driver MT section and will be called upon for high output for HT. Do you think i'll need to add some passive components to steepen the LP slope to maybe 24db oct or will 12db/oct be fine?

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem13 View Post
        Hey Pete...i'm working on my RSS315HF-4 cabs now at 100L tuned to 23hz and they'll be the active stereo bottom of.....well....something as of yet undecided but here's the question. They'll be driven in stereo actively with an NHT B-20 Pro subwoofer amp which will be capable of 400w at 4ohms RMS. The amp is equipped with a selectable LP filter 12db/oct with the max setting of 230hz.....and that's where i'd like it to be but i'm concerned with the cone breakup. I suspect these will be topped with a serious pro driver MT section and will be called upon for high output for HT. Do you think i'll need to add some passive components to steepen the LP slope to maybe 24db oct or will 12db/oct be fine?
        With that particular XO point and slope, I doubt you'd notice any resonance issues under normal music. I didn't have the notch at first when I was voicing the original XO, and I wasn't aware of any problems. But when I pushed the XO point up past 250Hz, I figured that I'd add a little insurance in the final XO, just to make sure.

You could easily add a simple parallel notch in series with the woofer if you're concerned.
        R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
        Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

"Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Thanx Pete. I guess i'd be targeting the 1.5-2khz range? Keeping the active slope should provide a better blend to the mains i suppose, and probobly less components for a notch to boot!:D Any values in mind?

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem13 View Post
            Thanx Pete. I guess i'd be targeting the 1.5-2khz range? Keeping the active slope should provide a better blend to the mains i suppose, and probobly less components for a notch to boot!:D Any values in mind?
            .6 mH 20ga and 15uF should do the trick.

Comment

Well, even though the camera is a cheap piece of junk, the light was pretty good and I got a decent shot of the finished walnut.

Comment

Reminds me of a linebacker I knew once. VERY ATTRACTIVE!

howard

Comment

Whoah, your attraction to linebackers would be a subject for another forum...:eek:

Comment

Wow, very CHUNKY! :D

I bet those got some nice bottom end to them...
                    "It is only Scrooge McDuck and others with a personality disorder who have money as their goal"

Comment

Originally posted by jonasz View Post
                      Wow, very CHUNKY! :D

I bet those got some nice bottom end to them...
                      They are indeed linebackers, weighing in at just over 130 pounds each, and attractive as well.

Hey, even I have to admit that Howie Long is a fine looking man!!! :o

I built these to be true reference quality speakers, with a full range (to my ears) from the lowest bass to 15KHz (my upper limit). The RSS315 most assuredly meets the criteria. The low end is deep, full, and very detailed. The PR extends the in-room response to below 20Hz, and really helps keep the woofer under control on the bottom octave.

If anyone is contemplating using the RSS series subs for woofers, GO FOR IT!!! You will NOT be disappointed in their performance. I thought maybe they might not be up to the challenge of blending with a Revelator, but the Daytons did not disappoint.

Comment

Bad camera not withstanding, those are just beautiful!

Comment

They are indeed linebackers, weighing in at just over 130 pounds each, and attractive as well.

Hey, even I have to admit that Howie Long is a fine looking man!!! :o

I built these to be true reference quality speakers, with a full range (to my ears) from the lowest bass to 15KHz (my upper limit). The RSS315 most assuredly meets the criteria. The low end is deep, full, and very detailed. The PR extends the in-room response to below 20Hz, and really helps keep the woofer under control on the bottom octave.

If anyone is contemplating using the RSS series subs for woofers, GO FOR IT!!! You will NOT be disappointed in their performance. I thought maybe they might not be up to the challenge of blending with a Revelator, but the Daytons did not disappoint.

Did I miss something? Did you use a PR with these?

Comment

Originally posted by anunnaki View Post
                            Did I miss something? Did you use a PR with these?
                            Yes, its mounted on the back.

Comment

For some reason I was thinking that these were sealed on the low end??

Not sure why though.

Comment

I just finished reading through this thread (referenced in from another thread on the RS drivers, thanks Pete). Very thorough and impressive writeup and documentation of the speaker build. Also, having another pair(s) of experienced ears certainly added to the evolution of the build.

I like that the build has a completely passive crossover to keep things "simpler."

Is there a finished crossover schematic that incorporates all the changes; padding down the mid/tweet levels, raising the the woof to mid crossover frequency, to the notches in the the SS 15W and the RSS315Hf?

Comment

Working...
                                X