Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pete Schumacher
    Obsessed & Proud of It
    • Oct 2005

Re: RSS315HF-4 as the anchor of a 3-way???

Well, I just got off the phone with Ed Rosenquist (D,Rose) and he informed me that one of the cabinets is completed, minus veneer, drivers, stuffing etc. They weigh in at: 110 LBS per cabinet!!! :eek: :D

Ooooh, can't wait.

Final configuration looks like it will be:

RSS315HF-8
    RS150-4
    RS28A
    AE speakers PR15-1050
    R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
    Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
    "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

• dlneubec
      Seasoned Veteran
      • Dec 2005

That should be a pretty impressive low end, and truly full range!:eek:
      Dan N.

Comment

• Pete Schumacher
        Obsessed & Proud of It
        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by dlneubec
        That should be a pretty impressive low end, and truly full range!:eek:
        Can't imagine them having any better low end than your Blades, just maybe more of it when required. :D

I hope to get them voiced as well as you got your HOSS Dan. Same drivers up top. Planning on 180Hz and 1500Hz for XO points, with 4th order slopes. Likely BW4 at 180 and LR4 at 1500Hz.
        R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
        Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

"Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

• dlneubec
          Seasoned Veteran
          • Dec 2005

That's right at where the HOSS xover points were, IIRC. I'm looking forward to hearing them.

Is someone going to have a measurement setup so you can do some asbuilt measurements during the process? I personally find that a very valuable tool in verifying what I'm hearing and to confirm changes were made without error and with components that meet specs.

Do you have a rough xover model you are planning to start with? Are you doing a passive high pass on the RS150 or the preamp/HT receiver to do it actively?
          Dan N.

Comment

• Pete Schumacher
            Obsessed & Proud of It
            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by dlneubec
            That's right at where the HOSS xover points were, IIRC. I'm looking forward to hearing them.

Is someone going to have a measurement setup so you can do some asbuilt measurements during the process? I personally find that a very valuable tool in verifying what I'm hearing and to confirm changes were made without error and with components that meet specs.

Do you have a rough xover model you are planning to start with? Are you doing a passive high pass on the RS150 or the preamp/HT receiver to do it actively?
            Totally passive design, no plate amp for the sub . . .

Yeah, I've got a preliminary XO schematic I plan on starting with. I know someone mentioned bringing some measurement gear, but I can't remember who. I've got a ECM8000 I could bring, but I've not had it calibrated yet. I can bring a laptop with Holm Impulse to gather some plots. I and others mentioned bringing LCR meters as well. So if someone brings a mic and pre-amp, I've got the laptop to do the rest.

This should be real fun. I hope to be there around noon Friday.

Comment

• Pete Schumacher
              Obsessed & Proud of It
              • Oct 2005

Comment

• nordhaven
                Midrange Member
                • Dec 2008

Comment

• Pete Schumacher
                  Obsessed & Proud of It
                  • Oct 2005

Originally posted by nordhaven
                  Isn't that something . . . Nice find!

Correction to the driver compliment . . . The Scanspeak Revelator is back for mid duties.

Comment

• Pete Schumacher
                    Obsessed & Proud of It
                    • Oct 2005

Further progress . . . :eek: :D

Comment

• Pete Schumacher
                      Obsessed & Proud of It
                      • Oct 2005

OK, I've got the cabinets ready to accept drivers. I'm starting with the TM section and will add the RSS315 later on. The Scanspeaks will be run wide open with no padding other than the series resistance of the LP filter inductor. High pass frequency is 200Hz.

The question I have for you guys is what type of topology to use.

The combination of Scan and RS28 will allow for LR2 at ~2600Hz with pretty good phase tracking on axis, but a limited vertical window. LR4 at 2400 has a better vertical window, and both are very similar in terms of response.

Modeled power response looks very good with either one as well.

I can build both XOs and try them out, but was hoping to get some input on what you guys think. Thanks for any suggestions.

Comment

• DoubleTap
                        • Jan 2010

The drivers and the shape of that cab are begging for LR2 ... but you'll need to measure very accurately acoustic offsets.
                        Vapor Audio

Comment

• Pete Schumacher
                          Obsessed & Proud of It
                          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by DoubleTap
                          The drivers and the shape of that cab are begging for LR2 ... but you'll need to measure very accurately acoustic offsets.
                          You've got a good point. The slope on the front is quite significant, and may actually put the tweeter acoustic center just a tad behind the mid, giving a slight upward tilt to the forward axis, which wouldn't be at all unwelcome since the tweeter height is on the low side.

What are the subtle audible differences between LR2 and LR4? The modeled responses are literally on top of each other, with less than 0.2dB separating the two traces.

Comment

• Pete Schumacher
                            Obsessed & Proud of It
                            • Oct 2005

Well, I slapped together a crossover, LR2, for the TM section and started playing a bit of music through it to get an idea for the overall sound.

Mmmmmm . . . those Scanspeaks are so, so tasty. And that laid back RS28A is really a special tweeter, and compliments the 15W very well.

Took an impedance sweep of the "system" and it matches the PCD simulation spot on.

The TM section is definitely light on bass of course, but the balance between mid and tweeter seems about right. A measurement sweep will confirm what the ears hear, but that will have to wait for the weekend.

I think I'll be taking DoubleTap's advice and add some serious damping to both the mid chamber walls and the main enclosure, with roofing felt/caulk. The "touch test" during music revealed some vibration in the cabinet, even as stiff and thick as the walls are. It's not much, barely noticeable really. I'd like to see it reduced just a bit more.

Hopefully the XOs will finalized by the end of next week. Then it's on to final finish for the cabs before everything gets stuffed inside and sealed up and friends/family invited over to experience them.

It's been a long time coming, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!!!

:D

Comment

• superspeeder
                              Been Around Awhile
                              • May 2010

Subscribing - I want to see these once they're finished, beautiful cabinets!

Comment

• Pete Schumacher
                                Obsessed & Proud of It
                                • Oct 2005

Well I got some listening done with one of the cabinets, just to get an impression of the capabilities. I pulled out the old Sansui G8000, a very generous 130W capability with power meters to give me an idea where the output is to keep it clean. Nothing fancy for the source, just headphone output from the laptop into the Sansui, running WAV format for the music in Media Player. Far from optimal.

I adjusted the output so that the meter was hovering around 10W.

The cabinet will need some cross bracing for the side panels. The baffle doesn't need anything to stiffen it up. Solid as a rock. Even as large as the side panels are, the nature of the build has created really stiff walls that don't move very much. But from a simple touch test, I could tell that a brace or two would improve things.

That said, after I spent an hour listening to some cuts, I got around to playing Allison Krauss, "Deeper than Crying" and was just mesmerized. I think the mid and tweet are so close to right that I don't know that any more tweaking will improve anything. And without the stereo pair in their final places in the listening room, it's tough to tell if the overall bass levels are right. But during Hotel California - Live/Acoustic, the big drum and bass seemed to be all there, with a real visceral quality to the lows. I can't wait to get the second one up for final voicing.

Comment

Working...