RSS315HF-4 as the anchor of a 3-way???

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pete Schumacher
    replied
    Re: RSS315HF-4 as the anchor of a 3-way???

Originally posted by brianpowers27
    Why not go for a 4 way?

rss315
    rs180
    rs52
    nd20
    Don't get me started . . .

Must

Resist

Temptation . . .

I'll just add the RS52 to the RS180-4 and keep the RS28.

Now how do I rearrange things on this baffle to make it work?????

Leave a comment:

• brianpowers27
    replied

Why not go for a 4 way?

rss315
    rs180
    rs52
    nd20

Leave a comment:

• HareBrained
    replied

Originally posted by Pete Schumacher ®
    YWhat to do . . . what to do . . .
    Have you looked at the SS Discovery 15W? If the spec sheet is to be trusted, there is plenty of sensitivity, good excursion, no breakups to deal with, and a natural 2db of BSC. Besides, I need someone else to spend the money and do some measurements before I pull the trigger. :p

Leave a comment:

• Kapton Planet
    replied

The 180-4 handles 60W vs. 40W for the RS150, a definite positive. The driver will be covering 200-1500, where there's a lot of energy.
    The mid in this design is likely to see power well in excess of the factory specs. Obviously, an important issue is it's ability to dissipate heat. With it's longer, fatter (1.5" diameter) voice coil, the RS180-4 has about 3 times the voice coil surface area of the RS150-4. I would guess that the RS180's thermal power handling would be at least double that of the RS150. I don't think a single 5-1/4" is enough in this application. The RS150 may be marketed as a 6", but it is exactly the same size as most other 5-1/4" woofers. But Pete knows all this, I'm just being pedantic. I'm not voting for the RS180, just thinking that a 7" or a pair of 5"s should be the minimum for this type of design.

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Originally posted by Deward Hastings
    RS180? It sounds as good as (or better than) the 150, has plenty of oomph, and really likes the PE .38 ft cu enclosures (which makes things easier for the non-cabinet-makers who might want to try the design.

I know, I know, it seems so . . . pedestrian . . . and doesn't cater to the driver-du-jour crowd . . . but there really isn't anything much, if any, better for under a couple hundred bucks.
    This design will have only one, very interesting looking, curved cabinet with the mid enclosure contained within the overall structure. At least, that's the current path we're on.

And while the RS180 is an excellent woofer, the Peerless ain't no slouch, and I'd dare say in some ways, better, in that the resonances are much less pronounced in the Peeless. XO is likely a bit simpler. I'd also have to go with the RS180-4 in this passive design because the RS180-8 just is not sensitive enough to keep up with the RSS315-4. The 180-4 handles 60W vs. 40W for the RS150, a definite positive. The driver will be covering 200-1500, where there's a lot of energy. It's just that the Vas numbers for the RS180s are quite a bit higher than the Peerless, and I want to keep the enclosure from growing more than it is.

I've got some time to decide on the mid while the cabinet construction details get worked out. I'll post an early concept drawing hopefully later tonight.

Leave a comment:

• Deward Hastings
    replied

What to do . . . what to do . . .
    RS180? It sounds as good as (or better than) the 150, has plenty of oomph, and really likes the PE .38 ft cu enclosures (which makes things easier for the non-cabinet-makers who might want to try the design.

I know, I know, it seems so . . . pedestrian . . . and doesn't cater to the driver-du-jour crowd . . . but there really isn't anything much, if any, better for under a couple hundred bucks.

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Originally posted by jonasz
    Pete, what about the ER18? It seems to have gotten a lot of rave lately.

Yes indeed. That is a candidate I had omitted. I think I have to exclude the Usher for now due to the Vas. And since the Usher and SEAS units almost duplicate each others parameters, I just have to exclude it. The 830883 has half the Vas value and higher Fs. It likes a smaller enclosure better than the other two.

I'm torn between using a 6" mid and a 7". The RS150-4 looks like a perfect fit, and I know how it (150-8) sounds in the Dreydel, the HOSS, the Khanspires, and it's wonderful. But it's only a 40W driver while the 830883 handles 100W. That is something to consider when power levels start warming up the coil.

What to do . . . what to do . . .

Leave a comment:

• jonasz
    replied

Pete, what about the ER18? It seems to have gotten a lot of rave lately.

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Originally posted by DoubleTap
    Right, the FR I got for the 8948A was very close to the 8945A. I also measured 2 8945P's and got FR data almost identical to Zaph's. Can't go wrong with either though.

Those silver baskets are pretty easy to paint btw, I did that to a pair of 830884's and it turned out looking factory. Just leave the backside silver and tape everything off nice.

I might be up for InDIYana, but certainly would be available to help with final measurments and tweaking the voicing. I have a ridiculous amount of x-over components, clip leading in small changes in values would be easy, and you wouldn't need to buy all the extras.

Awsome, thanks for the offer!!! I've PM'd you.

Leave a comment:

• DoubleTap
    replied

Right, the FR I got for the 8948A was very close to the 8945A. I also measured 2 8945P's and got FR data almost identical to Zaph's. Can't go wrong with either though.

Those silver baskets are pretty easy to paint btw, I did that to a pair of 830884's and it turned out looking factory. Just leave the backside silver and tape everything off nice.

I might be up for InDIYana, but certainly would be available to help with final measurments and tweaking the voicing. I have a ridiculous amount of x-over components, clip leading in small changes in values would be easy, and you wouldn't need to buy all the extras.

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Originally posted by deward Hastings
    first Step Is To Pull All The Driver Leads Out To The Back Of The Enclosure And Put The Crossover(s) In A Separate Box By The Amp. That Way The Upgrade To Active Doesn't Involve Any Change To The Speakers At All . . . Even The Cable Is In Place . . .
    Get Out Of My Head!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Deward Hastings
    replied

And active set up will happen one day . . . ;)
    First step is to pull all the driver leads out to the back of the enclosure and put the crossover(s) in a separate box by the amp. That way the upgrade to active doesn't involve any change to the speakers at all . . . even the cable is in place . . .

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Originally posted by DoubleTap
    Hey Pete, just wanted to offer my opinion that the 8948A is better for the application you have here than the 8945P. I understand why you choose the P, because Zaph has no measurements of the 8948A. I've had multiple computer failures since then, but I might still have my measurements somewhere. I remember the 48A having a bit smoother FR, less of the (presumably) surround resonance bump/dip. It looks more like the 45A without the 6khz breakup. And my distortion data showed essentially a dead heat, 45P might have a tiny edge below 150hz, but from there up they were both incredible and evenly matched.

About 18 months ago I bought a pair of both drivers, and made a pair of bookshelves with each using the DXT tweeter. The purpose was solely to determine which driver I prefered. After listening to the Usher Tiny Dancers quite a bit at RMAF I figured the 8948A deserved investigation. My subjective impressions were that the 48A is just more neutral, more musical. It has just a bit of a softer delivery without any loss of detail, this bit of softness lets the stage go deeper and wider.

Either is an incredible driver, the 45P looks meaner But I think the 48A sounds a hair better.
    Well, Zaph also has the 8945A as well as the 8836A, all of which would be excellent choices. The 8945A was next on the list for modeling. :D

I'm also going to look at the Peerless 830883. MarkK's non linear data on the Peerless is absolutely top notch, and PE is carrying them too. I just wish the basket was black . . . but it's not a total deal breaker.

By the way Ryan, I was hoping to get your feedback on the final voicing. Wanna get to InDIYana?

8945P

8945A

8836A

Leave a comment:

• DoubleTap
    replied

Originally posted by philiparcario
    pete mentioned it would be two boxes.

I have these as mtm/woofer 3 ways they use active crossovers. the mtm uses pe's bi amp plate the woofer uses a reckhorn crossover.

drivers are
    1 focal TLR tweeter
    2 focal 7w4411 midwoofers
    nht1259 subwoofer

crossover points are 120hz

3000hz

these cost more but I have a feeling pete's will sound as good.
    Don't meant to thread crap, but how do you like those TLR's? I love my TC120TD5's, once you nail the crossover that is ...

Leave a comment:

• DoubleTap
    replied

Hey Pete, just wanted to offer my opinion that the 8948A is better for the application you have here than the 8945P. I understand why you choose the P, because Zaph has no measurements of the 8948A. I've had multiple computer failures since then, but I might still have my measurements somewhere. I remember the 48A having a bit smoother FR, less of the (presumably) surround resonance bump/dip. It looks more like the 45A without the 6khz breakup. And my distortion data showed essentially a dead heat, 45P might have a tiny edge below 150hz, but from there up they were both incredible and evenly matched.

About 18 months ago I bought a pair of both drivers, and made a pair of bookshelves with each using the DXT tweeter. The purpose was solely to determine which driver I prefered. After listening to the Usher Tiny Dancers quite a bit at RMAF I figured the 8948A deserved investigation. My subjective impressions were that the 48A is just more neutral, more musical. It has just a bit of a softer delivery without any loss of detail, this bit of softness lets the stage go deeper and wider.

Either is an incredible driver, the 45P looks meaner But I think the 48A sounds a hair better.

Leave a comment:

Working...