Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Atlanta DIY set for Sat., April, 10th at ESM.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atlanta DIY set for Sat., April, 10th at ESM.

We have set the date for this and are discussing the format and organization. Post comments about the format you would like to see and other ideas. Several have expressed an interest in showing electronics also and that is fine, there is room for that. We will try to get a sign-up link set up soon.

Bob Howell

Re: Atlanta DIY set for Sat., April, 10th at ESM.

I thoroughly enjoyed the format of the last one, though I would prefer to see a more transparent amp (glass or sand, doesn't matter as long as it has adequate power and flat FR) with the high efficiency or fullrange speakers.

I think I've figured out how to shoehorn the 12" Tannoys - at least two of them, if not the full LCR complement - in my Miata, so assuming I'm right I'd love to bring 'em.

Comment

Good venue, NICE listening rooms, Great hospitality..it's Southern, ya know?...not too bad to get to, what spouse couldn't find something to do in Atlanta?

I'm hoping to make it.
      Mongo only pawn in game of life
      ____
      Ed

Comment

I'm just starting out in this, but would seriously consider driving down from Tennessee. Sounds like fun. Will you be posting more info? What is ESM?

Comment

ESM is Earth Shaking Music. Located E of Downtown Atlanta. It is a musical instrument and sound reinforcement (pa) vendor with recording studios. There should be a link in the thread.

Great People.
          ____
          Ed

Comment

Right now, looks like I'll be there.

Before the reschedule, I had planned to give a short presentation/discussion (15 mins?) on baffle step effect vs baffle diffraction (what they are -- and are not -- and why you should care -- or not). I often see the phrase "baffle step diffraction" -- even in DIY books -- which leads me to believe that clarification is in order.

I was also planning to bring my CLIO measurement setup for a demo and an open discussion of measurement techniques (maybe 30 mins -- longer if discussion gets lively). Also could do measurements for anyone interested.

Are those still of interest?

robert

Comment

Robert,

I'm still debating if I can come. Those items are definitely of interest if I do.
              ____
              Ed

Comment

I would like to attend, but have never been to one of these gatherings.

I have subscribed to this thread with daily updates via email. I am hoping this is the best approach for getting updates? As April comes it brings lots of extra work (always), so I may end up getting that day off from work yanked. Will this be RSVP?

I wouldn't be bringing anything (my open baffles will never fit in my car), but I would be interested in a demo/discussion on measurement techniques.

Comment

Everyone save the date and as time approaches you will see more details. We will have a signup site in place soon and notice will be posted here directing you to it.

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...hlight=atlanta

This thread discusses our last event in August and the April event will be at the same place and similar structure. Some suggested we not have a compition, just listen and discuss. That is the main issue to work out.

Robert Dunn has offered here to spend some time demonstrating his measrument setup. Thanks Robert and we look forward to that.

Bob

Comment

I plan to be there, and I would bring my CLIO setup, but it's very cumbersome (full size tower). I think Robert Dunn will jump-start my loudspeaker testing plans. I am just not taking the time to learn CLIO, especially since I have never seen anyone do it before. I need a good starting place. (I got it cheap from Ebay!)

I might bring an Altec studio monitor to measure, if there is time.

I am really looking forward to this. Count me in!

Richard

Comment

We are making plans and will get details up on the web site soon I hope. I will post here when we get it up.

Bob Howell

Comment

Hi Guys,
                        I am looking forward to this event and to Robert Dunn's presentation.
                        My work schedule has been very intense- I have been working 7 days a week since last Jan. (09) to avoid paying for a 4 staff person. I just hired a new guy who is transitioning into full time, so I hope to not be a raving lunatic when you all arrive!

I don't often look at this forum, but Bob Howell is good at poking me if I need to see something.

To respond to a few of the comments above, I won't be using my tube amp, so we will need at least two amps- one for each room.

I will have a cd prepared of 10 or so tracks, some of which were recorded, mixed and mastered here, but of course each speaker builder will be free to play their favorite tunes. No judging this time, just for fun and "edu-tainment".

Anyone who has specific, venue related questions feel free to PM me.

Sign-up page- Scott should have this up sometime Monday- i hope!

Thanks,
                        Dave Strohauer
                        Earthshaking Music Inc.
                        Be careful there, that thing's got 750 mW on tap!

Comment

Anybody in North Atlanta want to carpool? I am in Alpharetta, right off 400.

Comment

http://diyatl.org/

Let us know your interest and contact information.

Bob

Comment

Remember to sign up for this.
                              See you there.

Comment

Working...
                              X