Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sub box/amp help. HiVi SP10.

Hello all:

Some of you may recognize me as the fella that started an SP10 build about 8 or 10 months ago. Since then I've bought a house and been fighting to keep my job (like all of us!). So, it never got done. It's time for a reboot.

I'm looking to do a build with high WAF. I originally was going to do a 1.4 cu ft slot ported build because I wanted to reuse my 250w PE plate amp. Ported didn't need as much power, and I could tune the low end.

The new plan is to sell the amp and old woofer (see classifieds section) to partially fund a larger amp with bass boost. With a bigger amp and boost, I can put the SP10 in a .7 cu ft enclosure. Much more acceptable to my better half.

Here are my questions:

Which amp: BASH 500 or Dayton 500? The BASH is cheaper but the Dayton has EQ, which I'll need to get more bottom end out of my sealed design. The BASH apparently can be modded to add bass boost. I'm not afraid to undertake that. Any thoughts?

How do I design with bass boost in mind? I used winisd to model the box, but what program can I use to add boost from the PE to see what the story will be with the new amp?

Also, if anyone else has ideas on how to attack the problem of a big small sub, please post up!!

Thank you all in advance for your help!

Re: Sub box/amp help. HiVi SP10.

There is inherent bass-boost and rumble-filter in the BASH500. Where you need to modify the resistor values is not in an 'easy-to-access' area. I would not attempt it myself, so I used the BASH500 stock.

Jeff's WBCD has the option to add the boost circuitry into the mix, and is accurately capable of doing this.

I have models for the 1.0 ft^3 and 1.3ft^3 using a CSS 12" PR. The 1.3 is pictured above.

If you want smaller, Tom Zarbo built one 0.5ft^3 sealed with the Dayton 500W and used the EQ to help the bottom end. A search will turn that up.

Later,
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Wolf:

Thanks for the reply, you posts are always informative.

I've seen Tomzarbo's posts on his SP10. From what I can tell, he ended up using the 1kw Parts Express amp in an enclosure that was .8 or .9 cu ft... around the size I'm looking at, amp much bigger. Are the old PE amps the same as current Dayton amps?

It seems, from your post, that I'll probably be good whichever way I go.

Thank you again for your help.

Comment

You might want to look at the O Audio 500W Bash amp. It has a variable bass boost and a parametric EQ and is very reasonably priced.

Comment

I don't have a ton of documentation on it, but it works totally awesomely good!! Uses the BASH 300 amp, which includes a bit of adjustable EQ "boost," however with the stock settings, it mates perfectly with that enclosure. Flat to 20 Hz.

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=211643

I have the WBCD file somewhere if you're interested.

EDIT: just noticed, you posted in that thread. ANYWAY, the magic of this design is that the cabinet is pretty small and inconspicuous. The trick is putting an elbow on the 3" port--totally worth it though.
          Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
          Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Paul:

Yes, I was in that thread some months ago. It was my idea, originally, to do a sub very much like yours, but with a slot vent. Then, after my box was 75% finished, I learned that my slot had a bad h:w ratio. I pretty much had to scrap it and start new. Enter house hunting, buying and fixing... it got put off.

So, now my goals have changed. I'm now looking for a much higher WAF than my old design, which was as big as your design is. Although, I must say, that your design is about perfect for this sub without using PRs.

So, a sealed sub it is now.

I realize that your sub isn't big. It's definitely not as big as my last sub (end table). But my wife really wants a smaller sub now that we own the place we live in and we're taking more pride in our space.

Comment

FWIW, I found this page while browsing around awhile back. I don't know if it would meet your needs, but I think it's an interesting build.

-David-

Comment

No linky.
                Wolf
                "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Working...
                X