Build update (gluing damping sucks)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Build update (gluing damping sucks)

When I'm done I'll do a full build thread or blog with pics and some notes. But right now I'm in the middle of it and feel like telling you guys about it so I'll post some pics and a note.

I have glued just about everything that is going into the cabinet in it, except for something to sit the crossover in the bottom, still gotta do that. So I started adding damping, got some 3m Super 77 and started gluing stuff to stuff. Man I am not enjoying that. Took me like 2-3 hours to do what you see in the pic but it felt much longer. I was going to try to do both in one night but after one I got a beer and couldn't get myself to do the other one. Maybe I'll do it tonight. There was lint stuck to my hands so bad. I wanted to take a pic but my hands were too gross to touch the camera. Dish soap wouldn't take it off, but Fast Orange did a pretty decent job. I was going to try acitone but ended up not needing to.

Also some crossover pictures, what do ya think? Other than kludging together the ground star these went together easy, and even the ground star was only minorly annoying.

More updates to come later, assuming I don't just spray 3m Super 77 down my throat to avoid having to finish putting in damping ;)

(Forgive the image shack links, I haven't found another place to stick these images yet and the PE size limit is way too small in my opinion. Also the pic quality could be better but I was too tired to care.)

Re: Build update (gluing damping sucks)

It's looking good. Very well done so far.

By the way, I'm pretty happy with Google's Picasa.
    It is a free image hosting site, and some software you can download on your computer.
    You can use a "sync to the web" setting for individual folders on your computer.
    After that, any new pics you add to the folder will automatically get added to the web folder every time you open Picasa on your computer.

I tend to take a lot of build pictures and I've never yet run out of free space for online storage.
    Last edited by PassingInterest; 02-27-2010, 11:32 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Looks good.

I've never bothered to dampen the braces in my cabinets... I had enough input from experts that it was pointless, so I skipped it. I suppose it couldn't hurt though.

Comment

Looks good, where did you get the (look like) wool damping material?. I usually use acoustic foam and id railry needs bluing up against the walls, but the bracing looks like a pain. Nice job...
        Mark

http://www.diy-ny.com

Comment

Yeah, like Mark said, what is the damping material? Is it thick wool sheets? How do you like it?

-Charlie
          Charlie's Audio Pages: http://audio.claub.net

Comment

Originally posted by lunchmoney View Post
            Looks good.

I've never bothered to dampen the braces in my cabinets... I had enough input from experts that it was pointless, so I skipped it. I suppose it couldn't hurt though.
            It depends on the size of the brace. In theory damping doesn't do anything if the brace is less than 1 wavelength in dimension within the pass band, in practice it's more of a 'may not help but can't hurt' thing.
            www.billfitzmaurice.com
            www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

The blue stuff is this. I'm glad I found it. I love PE but using that stuff beats the pants off of spending $50+ on sonic barrier :(

http://www.theenergyconscious.com/wea2500.html

It's probably comparable to fiberglass insulation but without the itchies. I'm always afraid the glass fibers will get in the woofer VCs and mess em up too. Thats why I went with this stuff. Price is pretty fair too. 2 rolls was aaaalmost enough to do my waveguide cabinets. I'm going to have to get a 3rd one. :( As for damping the braces, yeah I figured even if it doesn't help it can't hurt. My goal was basically to have no hard surfaces inside the cabinet.

Its funny because the stuff is made of recycled bluejeans it actually has care and size tags throughout it periodically.

Confound it all. I need about 1/4 of a roll and nobody locally sells the stuff so I'm trying to buy a single roll from various web sites. Most of them have a $10 minimum or something. This is annoying!
              Last edited by evilskillit; 02-27-2010, 03:54 PM. Reason: annoying thing happened

Comment

In the pics it looks more like the vehicle carpet padding...
                Mark

http://www.diy-ny.com

Comment

Originally posted by mgrabow View Post
                  In the pics it looks more like the vehicle carpet padding...
                  Yeah, you're right it does. I wonder where one could get some of that stuff as it's probably pretty similar.

Reviews around the web for this denim stuff for damping seem to be pretty good, it was cheap and the thickness was just right for me, except for right up behind the woofers. I wanted to give them a bit of breathing room.

Comment

Originally posted by evilskillit View Post
                    using that stuff beats the pants off of spending $50+ on sonic barrier :(
                    I'm with you there-- EXPENSIVE! I just swallowed hard ($100+) and pulled the trigger; now, I'm convinced, though, nothing else would have worked for my project at the time...

Ditto on gluing "it" sucks-- measure, mark, cut, spray, tack, fit-- ad infinitum!!
                    Because the MUSIC matters...

Comment

Working...
                    X