Electrolytic caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrolytic caps

Why are the Bennic electrolytic caps so much cheaper than the polypropylene caps? I'm looking a 130mfd cap for a RLC Parallel notch filter. The price for the polypro really hurts my budget (first project). Is there a good reason not to use electrolytic and save money?

-Charlie

Re: Electrolytic caps

Originally posted by webercw View Post
    Why are the Bennic electrolytic caps so much cheaper than the polypropylene caps? I'm looking a 130mfd cap for a RLC Parallel notch filter. The price for the polypro really hurts my budget (first project). Is there a good reason not to use electrolytic and save money?

-Charlie
    There are possible differences in the sound of poly's and electros in high level systems, also possible long terms stability issues with some electros.... but for a first project, in an RLC notch, a reasonable quality non-polar electrolytic, such as I assume the Bennic is, should be more than adequate.
    If people want to listen to wiggles, that up to them....

I prefer music.

Comment

Electrolytic are much less expensive than polypropylene, period. For 130uF, I would surely buy the electrolytic cap as well. A Poly of that high value would be a very expensive purchase and a huge cap.
      I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening!

Comment

Originally posted by dcibel View Post
        Electrolytic are much less expensive than polypropylene, period. For 130uF, I would surely buy the electrolytic cap as well. A Poly of that high value would be a very expensive purchase and a huge cap.
        Just less than $50 for a Solen 200uF, and about 2" Dia x 4.5" long. So- it's ~$50, but not insanely expensive.
        Later,
        Wolf
        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
        https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

As long as it's not more expensive than the driver it's connected to...;)
          I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening!

Comment

Most of the time I agree with that sentiment.
            Well said,
            Wolf
            "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
            "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
            "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
            "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
            https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Which would be the case with this design. I'd rather spend on the drivers possibly the inductors. There are other places the money would be better spent to improve my sound quality. Heck, with the savings over a poly cap I'd almost have enough to build myself a chip amp.

Comment

Originally posted by webercw View Post
                Which would be the case with this design. I'd rather spend on the drivers possibly the inductors. There are other places the money would be better spent to improve my sound quality. Heck, with the savings over a poly cap I'd almost have enough to build myself a chip amp.
                The only problem with npe's (IMO - besides their limited service life - like 20 to 30 years) is that PE's (and probably MOST) tend to run about 10% higher than their rated value. Depending on the notch, being off by 10% could be an issue, sliding the aim point off the target, and possibly worsening the situation. If you have a WT (or other LCR meter), and if the error is in the right direction, you could probably compensate by unwinding a coil to get back to the target freq.

Comment

If you need 130uf, I would get a 100 ncp and a 25 poly and odds are together you will be deadon 130.
                  Ed

Comment

Originally posted by Froste View Post
                    If you need 130uf, I would get a 100 ncp and a 25 poly and odds are together you will be deadon 130.
                    Mad have some 10uF poly caps on sale for 60c each
                    Use 13 wired in parallel, you have 130uF of poly cap for less than $8 :D

I prefer music.

Comment

Mad have some 10uF poly caps on sale for 60c each
                      Use 13 wired in parallel, you have 130uF of poly cap for less than $8
                      +1 on the Mad 10uF polys! My next project calls for a 125uF on the mids. Looks like I'll be ordering another bag of those yellow buggers!:D
                      Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

Originally posted by tom_s View Post
                        +1 on the Mad 10uF polys! My next project calls for a 125uF on the mids. Looks like I'll be ordering another bag of those yellow buggers!:D
                        Please show pics of the x-o when built ! :D

I prefer music.

Comment

Please show pics of the x-o when built !
                          Will do. There's also a 150uF shunt in the woofer leg. That might end up being an NPE :D

We are planning a trip to Australia this summer. You want me to bring a couple dozen your way?
                          Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

Originally posted by tom_s View Post
                            Will do. There's also a 150uF shunt in the woofer leg. That might end up being an NPE :D

We are planning a trip to Australia this summer. You want me to bring a couple dozen your way?
                            In today's climate, I wouldn't want to bring a bag of film caps on an airplane.
                            "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Face View Post
                              In today's climate, I wouldn't want to bring a bag of film caps on an airplane.
                              why should global warming stop you taking caps on a plane ?? :rolleyes: ;) :D

I prefer music.

Comment

Working...
                              X