Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any CAD people here. Help with a waveguide?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any CAD people here. Help with a waveguide?

I posted this at a CAD forum and am not really getting anywhere.
    Skip right to the third post to get the gist of this.

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showth...453#post310453

Use that image from the dxf file to draw the 3d waveguide it describes.
    Pull the intersection forward 11/32 of an inch.
    Save the new contour that the new intersection describes and that's the new template needed for the right tool.
    Is my thinking incorrect on this one?

Re: Any CAD people here. Help with a waveguide?

I've got the waveguide modeled in Autodesk Inventor 3D and I can just offset a plane, take a slice and export it. I'll give it a shot tomorrow if you don't already have your answer. I'm not a member at that forum, but it looks like that guy might have done it for you.

Comment

John, thank you very much I'd appreciate that. Unfortunately That other forum has still not come through. He's asked for more measurements to solve the problem and I"m reasonably certain that suggests he hasn't apprehended the issue. I tried, but my CAD terminology is inadequate to frame the question clearly. You caught it right away, I think, which would be fitting since it kind of closes a circle.

Comment

Originally posted by frascati View Post

Save the new contour that the new intersection describes and that's the new template needed for the right tool.
        I can see what I can do tonight potentially as well I get home from work pretty late but this would give me an excuse to fire up SolidWorks.
        ----------------------------------
        Gear:
        Samsung PN50A650
        Yamaha RX-V2500
        Hafler DH-200
        AC130MKII/BG NEO3PDR Two-Ways
        RS390HF-4 w/ HPSA500

Comment

Cold you attach the .dxf file over here so we don't have to become members at that other site? if they are too big PM me and I'll send you my personal e-mail.
          Gear:
          Samsung PN50A650
          Yamaha RX-V2500
          Hafler DH-200
          RS390HF-4 w/ HPSA500

Comment

Cad makes for lazy draftspeople, you don't need Cad for this, and regardless of whether you have CAD or not you need to lay it out. Cut out the cad step

I learned on the board, here's what you do:
            Look at Zaphs profile, conceptually from the top.
            The outer diameter is 165,half that is 82.5
            The inner diameter is 39, half that is 19.5

Zaph's profile starts from the outside and steps in by 10mm in radius
            Draw circles on a diametral line with radii:
            82.5, 72.5, 62.5, 52.5, 42.5, 32.5, 22.5, 19.5
            offset your diametral line by the offset of your tool. Measure the distances along the offset line between the points where the circles cut the line. Each circle represents a point on zaphs profile, offset by the same amount as on the original tool.
            Attached Files

Comment

This should be it... the profile may be a different scale when you import it though, when importing your file into SolidWorks it was off 4:1 so it may be off in the opposite direction but the profile proportions should be correct.
              Attached Files
              Gear:
              Samsung PN50A650
              Yamaha RX-V2500
              Hafler DH-200
              RS390HF-4 w/ HPSA500

Comment

Originally posted by rone View Post
                Cad makes for lazy draftspeople, you don't need Cad for this, and regardless of whether you have CAD or not you need to lay it out. Cut out the cad step
                Indeed. frascati got his answer in a thread on HTguide, both mathematically and "cheating" with cad.

In the same thread I fret about forgetting all the stuff I used to know many years ago. On the other hand, I was able to get this profile in 15 seconds in 3D cad. Maybe I don't miss my pencil after all. Let's rephrase that to "CAD makes for FAST draftspeople."

Comment

Originally posted by jkrutke View Post
                  In the same thread I fret about forgetting all the stuff I used to know many years ago. On the other hand, I was able to get this profile in 15 seconds in 3D cad. Maybe I don't miss my pencil after all. Let's rephrase that to "CAD makes for FAST draftspeople."
                  15 seconds is faster than I can type in your points, revolve, slice, etc....in autocad. I'll have to get an inventor demo. Doing just your original profile is very fast, though.

Of course, I drew the profile in 2D "Intelli"cad, showing one way to do it on a board... ;) took a couple minutes...

Now to blow the OP's mind, how accurate are your measurements?

Comment

... how accurate are your measurements?
                    Those are John's measurements, and one limitation on accuracy of the reported numbers is the texture on the surface of the waveguide. That's probably a few thousandths up and down, and with a large enough probe, you only measure the peaks.

The bigger question is how closely the plastic waveguide shape compares to an ideal shape given all sorts of manufacuring hurdles like mold fabrication errors, shrinkage, etc.

And then the question becomes what is the significance of these errors on performance? Large? Small?

Wish I was retired and wealthy. I find this fascinating and would spend a little time experimenting.
                    Last edited by williamrschneider; 03-18-2010, 11:00 AM.
                    Bill Schneider
                    -+-+-+-+-
                    www.afterness.com/audio

Comment

Indeed. frascati got his answer in a thread on HTguide, both mathematically and "cheating" with cad.

I have a hard time believing that technology doesn't exist for someone to simply post a profile in a easily accessed format and print it full sized and in scale.

I don't have time to learn CAD. My VCR clock is still flashing. Like a lot of others, I'm changing careers and are busy learning that. My work time is really cutting into my hobby time!

Comment

Yeah looks like I was about 2 hours late to the party... oh well.

I really like CAD for the ability to modify things fairly quickly, or to automate the process of scaling a piece. The two I've used (SolidWorks and SolidEdge) can handle using variables as dimensions so if you wanted to change ratios or anything along those lines you can setup a spreadsheet to do it for you, REALLY handy.
                        Gear:
                        Samsung PN50A650
                        Yamaha RX-V2500
                        Hafler DH-200
                        RS390HF-4 w/ HPSA500

Comment

I would argue that CAD, particularly in 3D, makes for more effective, productive, and thorough draftspeople and engineers. The power to completely visualize a part in 3D, let alone an assembly of 3000 parts and analyze how every part fits, and how it will be assembled significantly reduces the design time, number of prototypes required, and more often than not allows more things to be built correctly the first time.

Thats not to say that sitting anyone infront of a computer with 3D software will make them a good designer, but it will make a good designer capable of so much more....

just my $0.002...

Comment

Last edited by lunchmoney; 03-18-2010, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Frascati, I know Solidworks quite well, and would be happy to help you out...

but I can't get to the dxf file you posted in the CAD forum, because I'm not a member (it asks for a username and password)

Comment

Working...
                              X