X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unisound UP620 HT full set w/active sub on T/F

Just saw it. "Future item" on ThingFling:
    "
    Unisound UP620 Home Theater Speakers - $349.99 delivered!
    2 Floor Standing Speakers, 1 Active Subwoofer, 1 Center and 2 Surround Speakers
    "

Looks like another blow-out deal but on a full setup this time. Click this LINK then click "UNISOUND" just above the picture of the SP18. That will take you to a translated page with a full listing of the Unisound speakers.

After purchasing the AU265's and being extremely pleased with them,, I am tempted again. I don't believe the UP620 setup to be quite as high quality as the AU and SP line-ups. I'm guessing these are probably in the same quality range as $1500 (more or less) theater systems from polk, klipsch, Energy, etc, etc.

Anyone gonna bite?

Re: Unisound UP620 HT full set w/active sub on T/F

So does 'future' item mean it's tommorows thing fling?

Comment

Originally posted by Trizzly View Post
      So does 'future' item mean it's tommorows thing fling?
      I believe it is next up.

Comment

looks too cheap

Comment

Impressive spec's on the sub though. Frequency response of 50-60Hz!

Comment

Originally posted by mintos View Post

looks too cheap
            If Unisound followed the same business model as most speaker companies, these are still equivalent to approximately $1500 (or more?) chain store Speaker setup such as Energy, klipsch etc etc!! A great deal if you're not going to DIY a whole HT speaker system. And may possibly benefit from some DIY modifications (as most mass produced systems can).

Comment

If I wasn't currently bidding on a amp on ebay, I would be all over this!

I wonder what other items TF is going to have up? It seems they are running through a range of product. I'd freak out if they had the book shelf and center channel from the AU series.

You going to bite Phil? Someone needs to get this.

Ed

Comment

Originally posted by Phil_RC_1 View Post
                If Unisound followed the same business model as most speaker companies, these are still equivalent to approximately $1500 (or more?) chain store Speaker setup such as Energy, klipsch etc etc!! A great deal if you're not going to DIY a whole HT speaker system. And may possibly benefit from some DIY modifications (as most mass produced systems can).
                Guys, I feel obligated to be the bearer of bad news since I own a set from the UP series and the AU series. If you're expecting to get the "smokin deal" like the $150 AU265's, it's not gonna happen.

In terms of quality between the two, they don't even appear to be made from the same manufacturer. The AU series is MUCH better quality. Someone in a different thread said that the UP series was probably on par with Polk. Sorry, but I have to strongly disagree. I've owned an older pair of Polk RT55's, and unless Polk has completely fallen on their face since the 90's, Polk is better than the Unisound UP series in every way. Attention to detail, cabinet construction, driver quality, you name it..... For example, I don't think there is a single hole in my entire pair of UP1203's that is drilled straight.

Just thought I'd let you guys know. :(
                Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.

Scanspeak Revelator R2904/7000's, Scanspeak Revelator 15M/4531K00's, Scanspeak Revelator 22W/8857T00's, Eminence NSW6021's.
                MiniDSP 4x10HD. ICE Power amplification and an iNuke 3000.

Sennheiser HD650's powered by TEAC amplification.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Tremblay View Post
                  Guys, I feel obligated to be the bearer of bad news since I own a set from the UP series and the AU series. If you're expecting to get the "smokin deal" like the $150 AU265's, it's not gonna happen.

In terms of quality between the two, they don't even appear to be made from the same manufacturer. The AU series is MUCH better quality. Someone in a different thread said that the UP series was probably on par with Polk. Sorry, but I have to strongly disagree. I've owned an older pair of Polk RT55's, and unless Polk has completely fallen on their face since the 90's, Polk is better than the Unisound UP series in every way. Attention to detail, cabinet construction, driver quality, you name it..... For example, I don't think there is a single hole in my entire pair of UP1203's that is drilled straight.

I'd rahter have the straight dope than get duped. Know what I mean.

The weight listing for the main speakers shows 17.2 odd kilos. So that is 37.84 lbs. I seriously hope that is per speaker. And even then, that is LIGHT.

Only thing I'd like to have different in my AU series home theater set up is getting smaller cabinets in the back. I don't much care for the larger speakers in back. I do 5 channel HT listening, but when it is Mini Disc, or CD listening, it is two channel only.

Ed

Comment

Originally posted by emrliquidlife View Post

You going to bite Phil? Someone needs to get this.

Ed
                    No, the main reason that I have been hawking TF is waiting on more of the AU series or the SP18's to come back around. I just thought I'd pass this along to anyone interested.

Originally posted by Ray Tremblay View Post

Some of the middle-of-the-road polks are questionable these days. Look at the weight spec on them,,,,, 40lbs each.

I'm not arguing that the AU and SP series are higher quality, just trying to give the UP series their fair credit, at the price they're going for.

I'd rahter have the straight dope than get duped. Know what I mean.

The weight listing for the main speakers shows 17.2 odd kilos. So that is 37.84 lbs. I seriously hope that is per speaker. And even then, that is LIGHT.

Only thing I'd like to have different in my AU series home theater set up is getting smaller cabinets in the back. I don't much care for the larger speakers in back. I do 5 channel HT listening, but when it is Mini Disc, or CD listening, it is two channel only.

Ed
                    Weights and other spec's are similar. These may be junk but again, if they (Unisound) followed other speaker company models, the UP series is similar to the MOTR offerings from others like polk etc. etc. and should be a decent deal at the TF price.

PS: I feel like I'm defending them, I have no idea why!!??,,, I'm simply watching TF and waiting for the SP18's or the other AU series to hopefully come around.

Comment

To clarify:

In my opinion, the UP1203's are definitely worth the price. Seriously, what do you expect for $139 shipped to your doorstep? If you are ok with a non-high end pair of towers, this is a very good deal. Although it's a good deal, I don't feel that the crowd on this forum are interested in this low level of quality.

By comparison, the AU256's, even at the $204 that I payed, is a MUCH better deal. Easily a "steal". With John Krutke's crossover mod, or a good ear and a 30 band eq, these can sound very nice. I wish I would have bought two or three pairs.

I don't want people to think that they're getting the "$150 AU265 SMOKIN DEAL" or AU level of quality with the UP series, because they're not.
                      Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.

Scanspeak Revelator R2904/7000's, Scanspeak Revelator 15M/4531K00's, Scanspeak Revelator 22W/8857T00's, Eminence NSW6021's.
                      MiniDSP 4x10HD. ICE Power amplification and an iNuke 3000.

Sennheiser HD650's powered by TEAC amplification.

Comment

Is it me or does the sub look a lot like the lifestyle series from "Blows" back in the 90s?

I have to agree with everyone. It looks too much like a 5.1 package deal from best buy which screams cheap! I mean the mains are only 38 pounds per piece. They are probably made using 1/2" thick MDF...Then again, we are just all speculating. BTW, is the sub powered? It doesn't look to be...

Comment

Originally posted by enhanced1 View Post
                          Is it me or does the sub look a lot like the lifestyle series from "Blows" back in the 90s?

I have to agree with everyone. It looks too much like a 5.1 package deal from best buy which screams cheap! I mean the mains are only 38 pounds per piece. They are probably made using 1/2" thick MDF...Then again, we are just all speculating. BTW, is the sub powered? It doesn't look to be...
                          I thought the sub said active. Doesn't that mean it has a amp on it?

I didn't get the amp I was bidding on. So I'm seriously having to control my impulse to get these. One of the reasons I would be lucky to have just one person get a set. The chances of sponging some mods off of some one elses genius is unlikely.

Still have some hours to go on these.

We'll see.

Ed

Comment

Thing Fling has this coming up again, but the price is dropped.

$299 shipped.

Ed

Comment

Thing Fling has this coming up again, but the price is dropped.

$299 shipped.

Ed
                              I didn't get those but I had an "Impulse moment" and just bought a pair of these WP2503's. Heavy and look good, hoping for no shipping damage on these 68-pound-each monsters. The odd thing is,,, I could care less how they sound now, these are candidates for new drivers and a new re-design.

I STILL can't believe the quality of the cab's on the AU265s, hope these are equally impressive, and worth every penny for the cabs alone.

Comment

Working...
                              X