Routers and bits??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Routers and bits??

I don't know squat about routers, gentlemen.

Is this thing decent?:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_77344-70-969...cts$Ntt=router

Any recommendations?
    Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.

Scanspeak Revelator R2904/7000's, Scanspeak Revelator 15M/4531K00's, Scanspeak Revelator 22W/8857T00's, Eminence NSW6021's.
    MiniDSP 4x10HD. ICE Power amplification and an iNuke 3000.

Sennheiser HD650's powered by TEAC amplification.

Re: Routers and bits??

Originally posted by Ray Tremblay View Post
    I don't know squat about routers, gentlemen.

Is this thing decent?:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_77344-70-969...cts$Ntt=router

Any recommendations?
    The on-site reviewers gave it 5 stars. And it's got a 1/2" collet, so it should take all the bits that are out there.
    R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
    Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
    "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

It's not a plunge router though. I use the plunging feature often when making cutouts for drivers.

Driver cutouts can be done without a plunge feature, but it will be more difficult and prone to cutting errors.
      Bill Schneider
      -+-+-+-+-
      www.afterness.com/audio

Comment

As far as I know the porter cable 690 is the standard by which all other routers are measured. That doesn't mean it's the best, but it's a point of reference in the market all other routers are compared to, there are others that are as good and a few better, but nearly every accessory, jig or fixture commercially available is built to fit the Porter Cable 690.

I bought that as my first router and I like it enough, my one gripe is that the plunge base was expensive to buy seperately and the vertical adjustment isn't as smooth as many of the other plunge bases on the market. The fixed base is great for a router table or some freehand routing though. The 1/2" collet is nice, I buy 1/2" bits whenever I can find them and whenever I can afford them.

Comment

When it comes to power tools, there is usually (but not always) a direct correlation between price and performance.
          For instance my router only costs half as much as that one. Mine is made of plastic has less features and less performance but it is still capable of doing the job.
          Typically though when I buy a power tool, I'm interested in how it feels in my hands, ergonomics. Comfortable grip, easy to access on/off switch etc. I don't use my power tools day in and day out so I don't require super heavy duty or contractors quality.

Comment

How important is the plunge feature? If I don't have it, would I need to somehow cut or drill a hole for the router bit to fit down into the MDF, and then start routing?

Is my understanding of this feature correct?
            Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.

Scanspeak Revelator R2904/7000's, Scanspeak Revelator 15M/4531K00's, Scanspeak Revelator 22W/8857T00's, Eminence NSW6021's.

Comment

I'd suggest a plunge and fixed base combo.

This router was coined 'best value' a few years ago by 'Wood Magazine' or one of those woodworking magazines.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...0070921x00003a

I bought one last year (at a higher price) and love it. Very easy to work with, lost of good things about it.

Comment

Oh! And how important is it to have variable speeds?

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Tremblay View Post
                  Oh! And how important is it to have variable speeds?
                  I've heard of outboard controllers you put in line with the AC cord that will allow you speed control.

For speaker building, I can't see a reason for variable speed.

That Craftsman looks like a DEAL.
                  R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
                  Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

"Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

I have the Sears kit and like it very much; it represents a good value for the hobbyist. I would definitely get a dual base kit regardless of which router you choose. The plunge base makes speaker recesses a cinch. The variable speed helps if you are running a large bit like round over bits and the like. I never run my router at full speed, especially with MDF.

-David

Comment

That Craftsman looks like a DEAL.
                      I think you're right, Pete. That's $90 off from other routers with comparable features.

Thanks UFC52!!! I think you just saved me a bunch of cash. :D

Does anyone object to the Craftsman router than UFC gave a link to?

Comment

I have a craftsman router that my Dad bought back in the late 1960s, and it still runs, though the collet system has begun to slip and the bearings are probably a little worn.

If the new one is half the router, it would be an awesome find.

Comment

for speaker building... heck for just about any project... i would definitely recommend a plunge router. also, i second (third, fourth, whatever) the suggestions to make sure whatever you get includes a 1/2" collet. i started out my woodworking life with a fixed base, 1/4" collet router. i quickly found one or both of those things to be a hindrance time and time again. i've since gone to an interchangeable base model that has both collet sizes, and my projects are much better off thanks to that.

i currently primarily use a craftsman 2hp model, which most people will poo on, but its done just fine for me so far. i also have a bosch 1617, which generally comes very highly recommended, but unfortunately i only have the fixed base for it. rest assured if i had the plunge base for it, it would get the strong majority of the nods. using each one just once, you can clearly tell the bosch kicks the crap out of the craftsman.

if you want a whole lot more information, there is actually an entire forum dedicated to routers here.

EDIT: goodness, there were like 7 replies between when i started typing this and when i hit submit. that craftsman in the link is the one i refer to above.

Comment

Could you elaborate on why the Bosch is superior? I'd really like to know as I too am in the market for a new router.

Comment

You're definately going to want the plunge base. And of course get one with 1/2" and 1/4" collets. Porter Cable makes great routers, and you don't need 3+ horsepower like todays top models have ... the one you link too has plenty of power. Variable speed is important if you're spinning big bits, if something like a 3/4" roundover is your biggest bit, then you wouldn't need it. If you think you're going to get a router table some day, get the Triton router with the micro-adjust base. That feature alone is usually close to $200 and can come in very handy for getting your cutting depth dead on.
                              Vapor Audio

Comment

Working...
                              X