Thoughts on Wireless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on Wireless

A friend of mine asked me what I thought about going with a wireless connection between his source and speakers and I told him I didn't know nor had I read anything about it in terms of any degradation in sound. Anybody here do a comparison and arrive at any kind of opinion on any differences?

Re: Thoughts on Wireless

I just checked this, thought I'd chip in. It depends on what is on each end of the wireless connection or how it works. However say you're talking from one computer to another or something like that, which just sends data, as long as the wireless has enough bandwidth to steam the signal there really shouldn't be any loss at all.

However if it is something that transcodes or performs any processing on the signal before sending then it may be a lossy transmission. You'd have to give us a bit more info to go on.

Comment

Sorry, I should have said that he's thinking about going wireless for music. He say something at Best Buy that is supposed to allow wireless transmission between his music loaded phone and a pair of powered speakers.

Comment

probably using bluetooth then, if its going straight from his phone to the powered speakers. wireless music/speakers are pretty much all either bluetooth, or 900mhz/2.4ghz. with either technology, sound quality to some extent depends on the quality of the devices being used. but i've never heard any wireless stuff that i thought sounded as good as an equivalent hard wired alternative. wireless is really more about convenience than quality.

Comment

Sounds like he's thinking of using MP3s or WMAs anyways. The quality probably won't be reduced vs just using wire. After all its just sending the file data across the air, then its being decoded on the other end and fed to the speakers. As long as data isn't getting lost in transmission (which should be pretty noticeable) it should be the same sound quality as if you had a piece of network cable connecting the two.

Comment

i think you'd be amazed actually. i have a pair of speakers mounted on the back of my house for listening on my deck. they are hard wired to the front "b" outputs on the receiver in my living room. i then have a bluetooth audio receiver plugged into one of the axillary inputs on the receiver, and an ipod bluetooth transmitter that plugs into the dock port of my ipod. this lets me take my ipod onto the deck and basically use it as a remote control, to pick what i want to hear while i'm outside. the ipod then streams the music wirelessly to the bluetooth receiver in the living room which then plays it to the speakers on the deck. works really slick. very convenient to not have to come back inside to change the music. sound quality though? huge difference between using the bluetooth, and plugging the ipod straight into the receiver via 3.5mm to rca cable. same speakers, same receiver, same source... same everything, except for the transport method; big quality difference.

Comment

Working...
            X