What to do with these drivers? (Pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do with these drivers? (Pics)

I found this centre speaker in Dick Smith's on special for $28; turns out they had none left in stock, so the guy sold me the display for $20. A bargain for down here in Tassie, it first retailed for $75.

I took it home and unscrewed one of the (12cm) woofers after seeing that they were all working and not damaged. As you can see below, a very simple design with cast frame, no venting what-so-ever and a poly-coated paper cone. They need breaking in, but they should be two good, budget woofers.

They seem like Hi-Vi drivers but without the aluminium cone. The tweeter is useless at this stage since there’s only one, and I haven’t found it particularly interesting to listen to.

Now, what to do with them? I originally intended to get one driver to make a “sub”woofer to go with the two (silver) 40mm drivers from Jaycar, but since there’s two woofers, I was wondering if I should make a two-way instead. (I can't and don't have any measurements!)

The options are:

Jaycar drivers as stereo satellites, both DSE woofers as sub.

Or: two-way bookshelves with DSE woofer and Jaycar driver.

Note: Everything was set up for a 2.1 system: 1W + 1W for stereo, meagre 5W mono chip amp for sub. (It’s DIY cheapo, this project). I may need to build another amp if I do the bookshelf.
    Attached Files

Re: What to do with these drivers? (Pics)

Not trying to pick-
    That's a stamped-frame, not cast. If it was a Hi-Vi, the buck-cup would be black.

I'm sure Andy G. could help you out down under...as well as a few others that post here.

They definitely look intriguing!
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Actually, regarding the measurement, how accurate is measuring T/S parameters using Rod Elliot's method(s)? It seems all you really need is a 10 Ohm, 1% resistor, a multimeter (and plastic bag, rice, etc.)

As for the drivers, the lipped frame looks similar to the Hi-Vi bs series, but I think are DSE's "Daytons" if you like...

The bookshelf idea is looking more appealing (The drivers' appearance is too good to be stuffed in the corner! :p), which means measurements might be more important.
      Last edited by jamikkim; 05-06-2010, 05:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
        Not trying to pick-
        That's a stamped-frame, not cast. If it was a Hi-Vi, the buck-cup would be black.

I'm sure Andy G. could help you out down under...as well as a few others that post here.

They definitely look intriguing!
        Wolf
        Not sure I can at all. I've never seen that particular speaker or driver.
        (Rare for me to go to DSE)

Not much I can suggest, sorry. :o
        If people want to listen to wiggles, that up to them....

I prefer music.

Comment

I guess I can experiment...:p

Do you think I should pursue this method of measuring T/S parameters?

I don't think I mind spending the time...

Comment

Originally posted by jamikkim View Post
            I guess I can experiment...:p

Do you think I should pursue this method of measuring T/S parameters?

I don't think I mind spending the time...
            I used to do it that way before buying a woofer tester and it works fine; just time consuming and tedious.

Louis

Comment

Working...
            X