Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just got my 1204USB (Berhinger Xenyx mixer)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got my 1204USB (Berhinger Xenyx mixer)

Didn't have a mic preamp, my previous USB sound device not only never worked consistantly in t the first place, but died shortly after the warranty ended (which was about when I started trying to use it seriously - it was an M-Audio Transit USB). I also wanted a headphone amp, and, a front end volume control for the DCX-2496. Not only does the 1204USB do all these things for just over $100, it also happens to be an 8 channel mixer with 4 phantom powered preamp mic inputs. Funny, the main purpose of this device will be a rarely, if ever, used side feature for me. If I ever did want to record a band in the future, I'll be all set!

I'll be using it with my "All-In-One Jig" (Which is so not "all in one" because it doesn't have a mic preamp), my Dayton EMM6 Measurement Mic, and my PC to measure speakers, drivers, and crossover components. I may occasionally also use my home-made DIY Panasonic capsule mics with it.

I've plugged it in, connected the USB to my PC which caused Windows to automatically install drivers for it and now I'm testing the headphone amp portion of it listening to some FLAC files - NP: Jenifer Warnes "Bird On A Wire" from "Famous Blue Raincoat". It's clean and has plenty of power to drive my old AKG-340s louder than I'd care to listen.

Next step, figure out how to hear the mic channel...

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...umber=248-6540

"...this is not a subwoofer" - Jeff Bagby ;)

Re: Just got my 1204USB (Berhinger Xenyx mixer)

Here's the jig kit:
    Attached Files
    Last edited by critofur; 06-25-2012, 07:33 AM.

Comment

Do you have a link for the jig? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by RABrown View Post
        Do you have a link for the jig? Thanks
        http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi...ml#post2092223
        Last edited by critofur; 06-25-2012, 07:33 AM.

Comment

What is the jig for? For measurements my "jig" is just some resistors (l-pad on each channel) soldered into the rca cable that goes to the soundcard inputs. I question the need for such, even though it looks like a nice kit.
          Brad
          piano black sealing mdf irregular recesses grill technique

Comment

Re: What is the jig for?

Originally posted by bmaupin View Post
            What is the jig for? For measurements my "jig" is just some resistors (l-pad on each channel) soldered into the rca cable that goes to the soundcard inputs. I question the need for such, even though it looks like a nice kit.
            It has an amp built in, in addition to the resistor for measuring impedance/capacitance/inductance... I ordered it thinking it had a mic preamp built in since the jigs being discussed in the beginning of the thread did have one. Sadly, it did not. He's since renamed them, no longer called "All-In-One" to reduce confusion.

It also has some capacity for testing amplifiers? I haven't looked into that, however.

Comment

WTF? Genius engineering at work or what? :

So, I want to get the mixer's USB Audio to my amp, wouldn't I connect to those RCA jacks (specifically the "OUTPUT" ones)?

I connect, amp tested, working from another source, on those jacks I get nothing, nada, zilch... I call Berhinger tech support, get straightened out which model I have (no, it's not the one w/FX, it doesn't have a red button above the CTRL ROOM volume knob...) on hold for a while... "OK - when you use the USB Audio, those jacks are disabled" - Huh? *Insert smack head on brick wall smiley*

Come on, then why label it "USB OUTPUT"!!!?!? Argh. I even specifically bought a pair of nice new audio cables just for those jacks...

Comment

yeah that is very strange - I took a look at the manual :

It refers to them as "CD/TAPE OUTPUT" (even though the unit is labeled USB)
                "These are wired in parallel to the MAIN output"

ALSO - DESCRIPTION OF THE (real) USB CONNECTOR :
                "Audio sent to the mixer from a computer can be routed to the main with the 2-TR/USB TO MAIN button"

Are you saying you don't have that button?
                BEER: Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

I've measured many things I cannot hear; and heard things I cannot measure...

Comment

I'm just throwing this out there because you said that you can't hear the mic...did you activate the Phantom Power?

Comment

Originally posted by johna_partsexpress View Post
                    I'm just throwing this out there because you said that you can't hear the mic...did you activate the Phantom Power?
                    Yeah, I just had to set the levels on the mic channel (using channel 1) and push the button which routes the "main mix" to the monitor.

Originally posted by jeff_free69 View Post
                    yeah that is very strange - I took a look at the manual :

It refers to them as "CD/TAPE OUTPUT" (even though the unit is labeled USB)
                    "These are wired in parallel to the MAIN output"
                    Yes, it's disconcerting, I'll have to call Berhinger tech support back and ask them exactly what those RCA jacks do...
                    ALSO - DESCRIPTION OF THE (real) USB CONNECTOR :
                    "Audio sent to the mixer from a computer can be routed to the main with the 2-TR/USB TO MAIN button"

Are you saying you don't have that button?
                    On the non-"X" version that I have (without FX) the button is just located BELOW the PHONES/CTRL ROOM volume knob instead of above it.

Comment

Originally posted by critofur View Post
                      Yeah, I just had to set the levels on the mic channel (using channel 1) and push the button which routes the "main mix" to the monitor.

Yes, it's disconcerting, I'll have to call Berhinger tech support back and ask them exactly what those RCA jacks do...

On the non-"X" version that I have (without FX) the button is just located BELOW the PHONES/CTRL ROOM volume knob instead of above it.
                      I don't have the USB version but I do have a 1002FX. I use those RCA jacks (primarily the left channel) to either connect to the computer's sound card or an external "sound card". In the case of the external sound card, it has a USB connection in addition to being a "sound card". The only other connection to the Behringer is the mic input. Then all I have to do is push the mic's phantom power to on and that is it. Of course you have to select the input source on your software. I don't know what the USB is used for on the USB Behringer version other than to send data back and forth through the USB port.

Comment

I guess those RCA ports are to go TO a soundcard, not FROM the [integrated] USB soundcard?

Maybe they say "USB OUTPUT" as a legacy thing from the other models that use the external (seperate) USB sound adapter???

I called tech support again - he explained that I can use either of the other two outputs on the back, but the RCA won't pass out the USB sound from the PC the way I want it to. I asked him "well then, what can I do w/the RCA jacks then?" - he didn't seem to know how to answer, so I just said thanks and bye.

I'm not sure which outputs I want to use then - I want to connect to a non "prop" unbalanced input on a "home" amp.

I will still use the "Main" XLR outputs to connect to my DCX2496 with a pair of XLR-XLR cables, so that leaves the "CONTROL ROOM" stereo pair of 1/4" outputs. The level of those outputs is adjusted by the "PHONES/CTRL ROOM" volume knob. I would rather have a "line level" output with no volume adjustment on the unit, and just adjust the volume in the PC so I can have an easily repeatable exact level so I can have accurate levels on my speaker measurements. I guess I still have to set the "GAIN" knob and volume slider on my preamped mic input anyway though, so no sense worrying about that?

Comment

My problem is that I want to play music from my laptop into the USB port but can't figure out how to have control over the volume of the USB incoming music on the board. Any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by Rawill View Post
                            My problem is that I want to play music from my laptop into the USB port but can't figure out how to have control over the volume of the USB incoming music on the board. Any suggestions?
                            "From my laptop into the USB port" - I'm sorry, that's not quiet clear.

Do you mean that you want to use your laptop as the source and output through the mixer? Exactly which volume are you trying to control?

If you're playing music on your laptop and going out through the mixer then you would have a few ways to control the volume. On the mixer itself there is a white knob which says "PHONES/CTRL ROOM". I use a combination of setting the volume on my PC with Window's volume sliders and that knob.

Depending what I'm doing, I generally set the knob at one point and then adjust the computer's volume up and down as I like.

Comment

Originally posted by critofur View Post
                              "From my laptop into the USB port" - I'm sorry, that's not quiet clear.

Do you mean that you want to use your laptop as the source and output through the mixer? Exactly which volume are you trying to control?

If you're playing music on your laptop and going out through the mixer then you would have a few ways to control the volume. On the mixer itself there is a white knob which says "PHONES/CTRL ROOM". I use a combination of setting the volume on my PC with Window's volume sliders and that knob.

Depending what I'm doing, I generally set the knob at one point and then adjust the computer's volume up and down as I like.
                              I would like to know if that "PHONES/CTRL ROOM" knob is designed to allow me control over the volume of the music going through the board.
                              Yes, I have all of my music on my laptop and have it plugged into the USB port on the back of the mixer...I am indeed playing the music on my laptop and going out through the mixer. Once I set the volume on my laptop, I wanted to control the volume directly from the mixer without having to always mess with the laptop. I own a Mackie mixer that has a knob specifically for the USB volume and was surprised this one did not.
                              Last edited by Rawill; 06-26-2012, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X