Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a way to view an EQ's output curve?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a way to view an EQ's output curve?

I can think of of few possible ways it can be done but basically I'd like to know if any of the programs out there cna compare a reference signal (probably flat) to a processed signal so that one can view the final EQ curve.

I know an RTA program can be used to show a final response curve but I'd like to see what actuall goes in the amp(s).

Aaron
    Thanks,
    Aaron

Re: Is there a way to view an EQ's output curve?

i've used REW to measure preouts on receivers, to make sure they're applying crossovers correctly. i would think, in the same way, you could use it to measure the ouput of an EQ.

pc line out -> EQ line in
    EQ line out -> pc line in

Comment

+1
      I use the same method to check the accuracy of my sub eq high pass filter.

Comment

There's a nice free measurement program called HolmImpulse.

Here's the web page: http://www.holmacoustics.com/holmimpulse.php

I also like ARTA which can be used free in the "Demo" mode.

Here's where you can download ARTA: http://www.fesb.hr/~mateljan/arta/download.htm

If you want to measure the effect of EQ and the signal is AMPLIFIED, then you'll need to use a voltage divider.
        "...this is not a subwoofer" - Jeff Bagby ;)

Comment

Originally posted by absolootbs View Post
          i've used REW to measure preouts on receivers, to make sure they're applying crossovers correctly. i would think, in the same way, you could use it to measure the ouput of an EQ.

pc line out -> EQ line in
          EQ line out -> pc line in
          ++1

I've done this too, works great. Room EQ Wizard (REW) is great, and free. It is optimized for room EQ, so the other mentioned programs are better for speaker measuring. But for this, it's fast to set up, easy to use, if you have line level ins and outs you don't need ANY other gear, except the cables.

I've used it in my tweaking with active filters, it's great. It also primarily uses analog sweeps, which I think might work if you're using DSP (digital) filters, where the MLS kind of measuring might not, due to time delays.

Comment

Working...
          X