Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anybody built the Tang Band 30hz Tapped Horn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anybody built the Tang Band 30hz Tapped Horn?

I was wondering if anybody has built the Tang Band 30Hz Tapped Horn shown here:
    http://www.volvotreter.de/th.htm
    (scroll to the middle of the page)

I've got the itch to build a sub to compliment my Tritrix TLs for music. The Tang band W6-1139 was the driver that got me interested in DIY audio several years ago but I didn't have the tools or space to do any speaker building. Now that I've go the tritrix under my belt I'd like to build some thing with the little Tang Band sub.

I've seen the Cerberus sub and it's probably a more reasonable project because of it's size, but I like the way a horn looks on the inside (which matters to nobody but me I'm sure) and I think it would be a little better challenge of my woodworking skills plus it's tuned a few Hz lower.

If I'd be better off with a larger/different sub I'm pretty open minded, but I'm still interested in doing something with the little tang band at some point. I'd like to stay in the same budget if at all possible, so keep that in mind when making suggestions.

Re: Has anybody built the Tang Band 30hz Tapped Horn?

No suggestions? Interesting. Let's break the question down to a lower level then, what are the pros and cons of a tapped horn in general compared to a vented enclosure assuming the same driver and amp.

Comment

I know someone here built a sub from that site, possibly the TB. I went and looked at the members list and found the person I was thinking of, but I was thinking of the wrong member.

Try various searches, I know he posted about it and he liked it.

Comment

I'm not sure I'm qualified to answer your question. But, I did rig up a tapped horn for my car, using the 1139 and a 8" x 48" sonotube. And, as a quick/cheap experiment, my impression was positive. Output was clean, and loud. Like, way louder than any 6.5" had any right to go. Extension was limited, likely due to the 80 +/- inches of tube length. Response seemed a little uneven as well, tho I have no emperical data to back up that impression, just "seat of the pants".

And because I had 2 1139's, and a 2 ohm stable amp, there really was no need to keep the 48" tube in the back of the wagon. 2 1139's in .8 feet ported beats a single 1139 in my rigged up "tapped horn". Thats my experience.

Comment

I didn't reply earlier because I haven't built the specific design you asked about but I do have experience with that driver in a few different alignments, and I also have experience with a few different tapped horns, one of which used the 1139. That 1139 tapped horn was my own design and is documented on my website in the projects sections if you are interested. Also on that project page is a ported design using dual 1139's. I don't compare them on the website but I can give some brief impressions here. The single driver tapped horn design - despite being tuned significantly lower - is about as loud as the dual driver ported design. But the tapped horn is much larger.

There's at least one more built design for a tapped horn with this driver at diyaudio in the massive tapped horn thread that I can think of, maybe more than one. There's also at least a dozen proposed designs for this driver that didn't get built. That forum is the best source of tapped horn info that I know of, and besides the massive collaborative thread, there are a few other tapped horn threads in which Tom Danley himself has participated in.

No suggestions? Interesting. Let's break the question down to a lower level then, what are the pros and cons of a tapped horn in general compared to a vented enclosure assuming the same driver and amp.
          That's a big subject, probably bigger than you might realize. I'd suggest checking out diyaudio for some rather in depth exploration of this topic.

But, I did rig up a tapped horn for my car, using the 1139 and a 8" x 48" sonotube.
          I'm not sure how you can make a tapped horn (or any horn) out of sonotube. I can imagine a tapped pipe maybe, but not a horn. Care to explain?
          Don't even try
          to sort out the lies
          it's worse to try to understand.

Comment

Insubnia.

Karma Insubnia.

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...06#post1635006

Comment

Over at the audiocircle.com forum is a member called JDUBS.
              http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php...profile;u=1019
              He has a pair. You could try contacting him.

Comment

Yes, tapped pipe, not horn. No taper.

Comment

I could not tell if the tb will work in the one from audio circle. Does anyone know
                  Check out my website: www.uberstealthaudio.com.
                  Now offering cnc cut baffles and other speaker cabinet parts

Comment

The karma insubnia looks like a great enclosure for the 1139, Lilmike is in the pacific northwest, which may be within a few hours of my home, I'll try and get in touch with him and find out a little more.

Comment

Working...
                    X