RS28F on sale for $40

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RS28F on sale for $40

Not mind-blowingly cheap or anything, but, still - nice to see such a fine product on sale

Dayton RS28F On Sale for $40 until 6/30/2010

:D

Originally posted by markk View Post
    someone mentioned it before. But you know, it's worth mentioning a couple times.:D
    Hmm, I searched and I didn't find any threads about the sale.
    Last edited by critofur; 05-26-2010, 02:51 PM.
    "...this is not a subwoofer" - Jeff Bagby ;)

Re: RS28F on sale for $40

someone mentioned it before. But you know, it's worth mentioning a couple times.:D

Seriously, this ranks as one of the better tweeters I've tested.

For a mere $40.

You could spend ten times as much and still get an inferior product...
    audioheuristics isn't around right now...

Comment

For the performance and quality you get for this pittance, its hard to justify saving a few bucks and buying anything cheaper.
      -Or buying anything more expensive for that matter...

C
      Curt's Speaker Design Works

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
      - Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by markk View Post

Seriously, this ranks as one of the better tweeters I've tested.

For a mere $40.

You could spend ten times as much and still get an inferior product...
        Wow, high praise, that!

This tweeter has been on my radar since it came out, but methinks it needs to be a priority!

Mark
        You go your way, I'll go mine. I don't care if we get there on time.

~Pink Floyd

Comment

aarrgghh....I knew I shouldn't have clicked on this thread. I'm trying not to buy any more speakers right now. :( We are saving for vacation and you guys are making it pretty tough to keep that credit card in my wallet! I just have to keep telling myself that I already have more than enough drivers on the shelf right now-what I really need is time!
          Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

In me hot little hands. To be paired with Seas U18 in a ML-TL. We'll see how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by tom_s View Post
              I just have to keep telling myself that I already have more than enough drivers on the shelf right now-what I really need is time!
              Ditto on that!

Since this driver came out I've been wondering how it compares to a few similarly-priced - and well-respected - drivers:
              SEAS Prestige 27TFFC
              SEAS Prestige 27TDFC

Any thoughts on that?

Luckily, we still have a month to decide!

Comment

I believe it's better than both of those; in specs, sound, flexibility, and build quality. You can't go wrong unless you screw up the xover.

Later,
                Wolf
                "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

So how does this compare with the TB 28-537 that just received some praise here?

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by marscoast View Post
                    Since this driver came out I've been wondering how it compares to a few similarly-priced - and well-respected - drivers:
                    SEAS Prestige 27TFFC
                    SEAS Prestige 27TDFC

Any thoughts on that?
                    I haven't used the silk dome RS28, however I did a couple of projects with the aluminum dome. The one thing the SEAS 27T--C wins for is that it's extremely easy to work with. You can even run it with a single cap and you get a nice-looking, good-sounding roll-off.

The RS28A, in my experience, was not quite as "cooperative"--not bad mind you, but still not as easy as the SEAS. Tweeters as easy as the SEAS are few and far between. 'Course, the silk version could be one of those. I don't plan on using them any time soon; I have way too many good tweeters on-hand already. :D
                    Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                    Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

I just picked up a pair for a build that I'm working on , they sound quite nice , even with a cheaply built "test crossover" , very smooth sounding and articulate. I ran some quick tests on them and it appears that they do not roll off on the top end as soon as the aluminum version does. So far they look to be very promising , I had my eye on them for a while , the sale made up my mind.

Comment

If I purchase a pair of these tweeters, can I use the manufacturer's published FR curves (found on PE site) to design a crossover with SPL trace and Jeff B's simulation software? In other words, are their plots accurate or just inflated marketing BS? I have a WT3 but no other measurement gear. If "no", is there other real world measured data out there for these tweeters? I would also like to ask the same question about a pair of Usher 8945A drivers I recently purchased. Should I use the manufacturer's plot or the one measured by Zaph? Thanks.
                        Craig

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Comment

I measured RS28A & RS28F both nearfield, and below a few Khz, they matched so closely that I've seen different tweeters of the same model measure more differently.

Black: RS28F Red: RS28A

So, how close to Zaph's measurements do the ones on Dayton's spec sheet for the RS28A compare? I would say that would be a rough guess as to how accurate they are. [Clarification ->] What I mean is, use Zaph's measurement as the benchmark by which to compare Dayton's measurements. If Dayton's RS28A chart matches Zaph's, then I would guess their RS28F chart is also good.

EDIT: Every time I see that measurement, (IMHO) it's a thing of beauty - other people's distortion measurements also show it to be a remarkable tweeter.
                          Last edited by critofur; 06-09-2010, 10:43 AM.
                          "...this is not a subwoofer" - Jeff Bagby ;)

Comment

Cool! Thanks for the info and plot Citofur. I've tried for months to come up with a solid design with the Dynaudio D28/2's I have from way back, but this tweeter models soooo much nicer. I scooped up a pair of the Usher 8945A midbasses when they were the "deal of the day" and hope to match them up with these tweeters.
                            Craig

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Comment

It's a nice tweeter. I've measured a pair and my results were very close to PE posted FR. I doubt very much that Zaph didn't measure correctly. I also have no reason to doubt critofur's measured results. May be the tweeter is not exceptionally consistent?
                              http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X