Lepai missing parts: Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lepai missing parts: Update

So today, I received in the mail my missing power supply AND another Lepai LP-838 amplifier.

So now I have two of them :S

I dunno what to do with this one.

I am pretty happy, though.

Oh one other thing - the "connector cable" I received with the unit is an AV cable... Too funny.
    Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Re: Lepai missing parts: Update

Update 2: Sounds like crap. My earlier post on the tone controls being tone "restore" is validated in my mind after listening to this thing.

If you use it, be prepared to spend some major time tweaking the Bass/Treble controls :(

Have not tested the subwoofer output yet, though.

Comment

Update 3: Sounds not like total crap, but is light-years away from the TA2020 based amp I installed in my daughter's room.

These should be good enough if you have a little patience to tweak the tone controls, or are willing to EQ the snot out of it. The treble control is especially gnarly lol.

Comment

I found mine to sound decent with the bass set flat and the treble up just a hair. Granted, I haven't measured it or anything but at least it's listenable like that. With the treble flat it sounds very veiled.

Comment

what does it use for power supply 24v or 12 v?

Comment

Since you have two units with 1 power supply I can mail you a ps to play with. then you can ab them maybe part of the problem is ps. No charge for the ps It would be on loan for your testing. I would mail it out for free. Just mail it back when done. It is small and has no rf/hash sound.

I have a 15volt 60 watt that can adjust from 12 v to 17 v see pdf

http://www.jameco.com/Jameco/Products/ProdDS/155231.pdf

I have spu50-4

voltage is adjustable. 4 screws to open case and a small pot inside lets you adjust it. Pm me if you want to test it.

Comment

it's a 12v. personally, i think the problem with the 838 is the 838. i thought the 1A ps i got with mine might be hurting it a bit, so i tried it with the 2A supply that came with my ta2020 lepai - no difference... still sounded pretty bad to me, and got exponentially worse when pushed even the slightest bit (clipping, i guess?). with the same ps, the ta2020 based lepai (which i'm not all that impressed with in the first place) wiped the floor with the 838.

i'm currently waiting on the arrival of one of these. i've got (somewhat) high hopes, given the quality of the components as compared to the lepai's

Comment

I ordered an Lepai LP-838 off eBay a while back for use on a portable stereo. Finally got around to hooking it up today to give it a listen. After some wrenching around on the bass, treble, and super bass volume knobs, I finally got it to sound halfway decent (though both bass and treble knobs needed to be at about the 3 oclock position before the amp sounded right).

Listened to it like that for about 10 minutes at a level slightly below the amp clipping level... then the included 1A 12V PS went up in a puff of smoke. I knew the wall wart probably wouldn't last long given its construction, but I thought it might have more than 10 minutes worth of life left in it! :p

Looks like I'll be getting another 12V PS for it (this time I'll look for something with a REAL 2A capacity). All in all, the amp is probably worth the $15 I paid for it... maybe.

Edit: For amusement, here's a pic of the internals of the included 1A power supply (the red 120v wire is off because there was also a cold solder joint on the circuit board, the real failure was the transformer overheated and let out the magic smoke). Looks more like 100mA capacity to me...

Comment

I bought one also, after my Denon went out, and I had to replace 4 transitors and a couple resistors. Another story, "No good deed goes unpunished":rolleyes: This little amp was better than nothing, but the snap when I turned it on, was annoying. It may go in the garage, until I need it again.

Comment

Sound quality may be improved dramatically with a few "daring changes" such as replacing super cheap input capacitors with mylar capacitors and using a standard LCD monitor power supply (you may try to donate the 1A or 2A PSU to a charity for tax return if are not afraid of being insulted). Those changes would improve sound quality!

Comment

Working...
                    X