Stereo with AVR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stereo with AVR?

I am going to put together a stereo system for my living room. Is there any advantage to using a 7.1 AVR over a 2 channel stereo? System will be used as background music and critical listening. For speakers I am considering ONS on the wall at one end of room and Coppers placed for best imaging.
    I guess my questions really are: Would an AVR allow speakers to be biamped? Would an AVR be better to blend together the ONS and Coppers? Or would be be better to get higher wattage on each channel from a stereo receiver?
    Thanks
    Mark
    My TriTrix Build
    My Core 2 Way Build
    My RSS315HF-4 Subwoofer Build

Re: Stereo with AVR?

The way I see it, the main advantage to using an AV receiver for stereo listening is having a built in active crossover for a subwoofer.

I don't know any advantage of using four speakers in one room for stereo, but I could be wrong.

Comment

Why would you want two pairs of speakers playing at the same time?
      "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Face View Post
        Why would you want two pairs of speakers playing at the same time?
        Good question. I assumed it would help with background music/radio while working around the house or entertaining. (Or maybe its just an excuse to build both the ONS and the Coppers.)
        Mark
        My TriTrix Build
        My Core 2 Way Build

Comment

My preamp has a 7 channel stereo mode that I use when I am working around the house. I just put on the "Red Rock and Blues" channel on my DirecTV receiver and crank it up while I am working on whatever. I would recommend this vice the two speaker pairs setup. You could set up a set of "Fronts" with a Phantom Center channel and a set of "Rears" with most AVR's these days. This could be a good option for Home Theater and Music. Without a Center Channel you will only have one sweet spot right in between your fronts though.

Comment

having all speakers playing is fine for a house-full or doing house work. this, however, is not critical listening. if your avr has auto setup, your front and rears should blend fine. my onkyo has dvd stereo. this is fronts and sub. it also is bi-amp capable. this sends the side speakers power to the upper part of a speaker. my onkyo sends full-range out both lines. if yours has this, then you can bi-amp.
            " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
            Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
            http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

The stereo I am looking at is the HK 3450 120 w at 8ohm x 2.
              The AVR is the HK 254 with 50 w per channel at 8 ohm x 7 or 65w x 2.
              Both are refurbs from ebay.

65 watts may not be enough for the inefficient Coppers so it is good to have a biamp option. Assume the biamp option would be to send 1 channel to the tweet and one channel to the woof? (50w + 50w) Anyone have a guess how much power the woofer uses as compared to the tweet? (75%25%?)
              Mark
              My TriTrix Build
              My Core 2 Way Build

Comment

be very careful considering that 254. it is an extremely buggy receiver. i have one that i used in my theater for about 6 months or so. great sounding, but definitely has a lot more flakiness than your average avr. depending on your setup and use, the quirks may not affect you at all, or they may be constant and unbearable. i'd spend as much time as possible reading the owners thread, and the problems/solutions thread, over at avs to get a better feel and determine whether its problems will be problems for you.

Comment

Originally posted by absolootbs View Post
                  be very careful considering that 254. it is an extremely buggy receiver. i have one that i used in my theater for about 6 months or so. great sounding, but definitely has a lot more flakiness than your average avr. depending on your setup and use, the quirks may not affect you at all, or they may be constant and unbearable. i'd spend as much time as possible reading the owners thread, and the problems/solutions thread, over at avs to get a better feel and determine whether its problems will be problems for you.
                  I guess that explains why they have more of the 254 refurbs on Ebay than anything else.
                  Mark
                  My TriTrix Build
                  My Core 2 Way Build

Comment

Working...
                  X