Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: on Sale - $55/pr (drivers & XO)

Getting closer...

That's 2 coats of base coat in. Another 3-4 coats, then 5-6 coats of clear coat, then a buffing.
    Modding the Lepai T-Amp

Comment

Originally posted by cwad8505 View Post
      Wouldn't that just take all of the fun (misery) out of it??!! lol.. I have a plan.. and I believe it will be the most "visually" loud set built yet..
      Chris..btw.. on the NTN, didn't u mention to start the top driver's center 4" down from the top (then continue with original spacing)? Also, with regards to the port, where the does the length actually start... from inside the baffle..or from the front of the baffle.. in other words, if I wanted to do a pvc port 7" long, flushed with the back, should it be 7 or 7 3/4? I know the port issue has been covered over and over, but this part still confuses me (doesn't take much!) Thanks.. the other Chris
      Yup, 4" down to center.

The ports TOTAL length should be 7". With a 3/4" thick back(/front), it then only extends 6-1/4" into the cab.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
        Yup, 4" down to center.

The ports TOTAL length should be 7". With a 3/4" thick back(/front), it then only extends 6-1/4" into the cab.
        I screwed up my description of what I was asking..talking about the baffle.. and the back at the same time.. but you thankfully knew what I was trying to ask and thanks for the info sir! Chris

Comment

• Re: My ntn backs

My bad. I forgot that you had windowed the front. :o

Originally posted by Herman Trivilino View Post
          I want the crossover to be visible through the window on the front of the cabinet. These will be in a classroom/lab and I want the students to be able to see the circuit elements. It's a nifty application of the use of resistors, capacitors, and inductors.
          I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.
          OS MTMs http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=220388
          Swope TM http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=221818
          Econowave and Audio Nirvana AN10 fullrange http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=216841
          Imperial Russian Stouts http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...=1#post1840444
          LECBOS. http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ghlight=lecbos

Comment

Went to Lowes and the got the MDF this afternoon and got started.. first off, MDF went up $6 in the last 2 days!!! Was $25, Now $31..anywho.. Couple mistakes, cuz I was in a hurry like usual! First off, when drilling the mounting holes for the drivers, used the bit for the #10 Hurricane nut, so the #8 Hurricane nut's helicals are doing absolutely no good whatsoever..I'll pray that the gorilla glue holds them well enough.. secondly, got my port marked out on the back correctly.. got a phone call, went back to it...only to finish it out for the terminal cup..WTH is wrong with me??!!!..so I'm now faced with the dilemma of putting it below the T cup, where the speaker wires will have to lay over the opening causing a potential for noise, or go above it, putting it within about 2 1/2 inches of the lower driver. I think I'll end up going above it..should be OK..(maybe one of the pros could chime in here..) Well, have 1 box done all but glueing the baffle on and routing edges.. I suppose I will finish these tomorrow night and ship them off for paint.. Sure hope I can pull my head out of my buttox before working on them tomorrow!!
            Attached Files

Comment

• Re: Just wonderin' . . .

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
              Here's a list of members who I THINK have built one of these ND105-4 designs. If you're not on the list, please add your name.

7 ntn:
              hyperlite
              cooper
              django
              patrickm
              realized i never posted photos. mine should actually be moved to the regular neo category, but i built a floorstanding tower version. here they are next to my main system and a pair of jamo buyout MTM TL's i also built as christmas gifts. both were very well received. built from home depot pine shelving, with minwax polyshades light oak stain. (for anyone interested, jamo's are pecan stain, mine are cherry) :
              Attached Files
              TM (RS125/TB25-302), TM RS150S / Vifa BC25SC06, RS150-4 / Vifa ML-TL, 3CR-AL Ultra Budget: Electric Blue TM, TMM, MTM, Dragonflies , Mounties: Mini HT Satellite,sub for minions

Comment

Can anyone comment on how much of a difference the break-in process for these drivers make? Basically, what will the difference be from when you first use them to after you've used them for 12 or so hours.
                Modding the Lepai T-Amp

Comment

Originally posted by XtremeRevolution View Post
                  Can anyone comment on how much of a difference the break-in process for these drivers make? Basically, what will the difference be from when you first use them to after you've used them for 12 or so hours.
                  The start off sounding strained and cold and something sounds "wrong" with the bass, it's not that its missing, just sounds a little off. The exact opposite (smooth, warm, and full) after break in. The most noticeable difference is the bass really fills in after a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew_V View Post
                    What "Dremel trick" are you referring to? It's a pretty small hole and I don't have a saw for it myself, so I was just going to use the router. But it's an awfully small hole...
                    Sorry, I was away from a computer for a few days. I have a circle jig for my dremel. If I ever have a small hole to cut where the tollerance is important, I use my calipers to measure whatever is going in the hole. I take that measurment, divide it in half, and add .0625 for the radius of the spike in the jig. I lock my calipers to that measurment, then set my dremel to that. Use a 1/4" cutter bit in your dremel. I just set the bit and spike in the calipers mouth and tighten down the nut on the jig.

Then I cut down about a quarter inch, or just enough for the bearing of a flush trim bit to set on. Even at 1/4", I make a few passes so the dremel doesnt bite into the MDF since the RPM's arent that fast. Using a jig saw, I cut the slug out of the hole by running the blade in the 1/4" wide circle I've made, then clean it up with a router and flush trim bit.

I actually plan on posting a thread with pics about this trick. It works well if you take your time. You can get a very high tollerance spec hole, especially using MDF since it's so fine grained.

It worked very well for the tweet hole on my Neo baffles. Its tight enough in there that it wont come out, but at the same time, it can be pushed out if needed with a lil force behind it.
                    RYAN N.

"Why do you have the stereo on while you're watching TV?" - "....Cause I like to party."

RSS390HF Build - http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=224998
                    AviaTrix Build - http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=230372
                    Wolf's PC Speakers Build - http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...84#post1838384
                    Overnight Sensations MT Build - http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ation-MT-build

Comment

Originally posted by lostboy77 View Post
                      The start off sounding strained and cold and something sounds "wrong" with the bass, it's not that its missing, just sounds a little off. The exact opposite (smooth, warm, and full) after break in. The most noticeable difference is the bass really fills in after a while.
                      Has anyone taken any measurements of "out of the box" speakers and ones that have been used for several hours or after the duration of the break in period to quantify a measurable difference?
                      Modding the Lepai T-Amp

Comment

Originally posted by XtremeRevolution View Post
                        Has anyone taken any measurements of "out of the box" speakers and ones that have been used for several hours or after the duration of the break in period to quantify a measurable difference?
                        Generally what goes on is that (mostly) the spider needs breaking in, like a new stiff pair of leather shoes. After break in, typically the Qms will drop a bit, and Qts, and the Fs can drop a bit, and Vas might rise a tad.

Chris

Comment

Well...finished the enclosures tonight. Got the port and terminal cup situation lined out...the outcome wasn't perfect, but it'll work.. (pics attached). The only thing left to do is to install the hurricane nuts for the bottom to be removable, waiting on the glue on the corner wedges to dry to drill those out tomorrow afternoon. Should be able to get these to my buddy late tomorrow and he thinks he can squeeze them in (finish on the cabs) and have them back to me by the end of next week. Will give me time to build the XO's.. the corner blocks for the bottom plate killed my space for a larger xo board, but, such is life! I've really enjoyed this build so far, couple minor mistakes, but much smoother than the last few. I've spent (too) much time on the forum and have learned many "tricks" to getting the results I've wanted and can't thank everyone enough for sharing all of these methods..
                          Thanks ~ Chris
                          Attached Files

Comment

Designs are getting painted on...
                            Modding the Lepai T-Amp

Comment

Got one driver completely done and I had to listen. My Lepai amp kept shutting down on me so I went to my room and hooked up my Yamaha receiver.

So far, I'm only using one of these since the second cabinet isn't done yet, and I have to say I am VERY impressed with the sound coming out of this one driver.

My father in law will be using these on a two channel amp and I know for a fact he will be nothing but truly impressed. The sound stage is quite incredible. Its incredible to believe that these are only two 4" drivers. Even with only one of these in a 350 square foot room, it fills the entire room with very detailed, excellent sound and enough bass presence to not need a sub.

That being said, I still have to hook up the second.

I just played Rag Doll by Aerosmith and definitely hit over 110db to the point where it was uncomfortably loud. I can't even imagine what two of these will sound like, but I'm sure they will be nothing short of epic. Finishing the second one will be the first thing I do tomorrow when I get home from work.

Modding the Lepai T-Amp

Comment

My progress update:

Glued up boxes (all but one side per cab)
                                Finished wiring up crossovers with input and output lines
                                Mounted crossovers to center brace
                                Installed drivers in one cabinet and wired up to "test" for a few days

__________________________________________________ ___

I can't really give an accurate review of the sound yet, as I've only listened to these with the side panel off and nothing lining the interior of the cabinet yet. I'm impressed so far. I let this one play at low levels all day yesterday and it's playing at home as we speak in the shop. I wanted to break them in a bit before I take the drivers out and finish.

I used 14 gauge wire (bought 6 feet of black, white, red, and green) from Lowes. It was a bit stiff but worked out OK. My ugly soldering skills were tested while getting everything connected.

I had to buy some insulated terminals from Radio Shack. They didn't have any small enough for the tweet terminals and that small terminal on the ND105. I used the larger ones and crimped them to the terminal for a tight connection.

Ordered several of the 48 cent press fit terminal cups from PE. Should be here this week.

Pics are building on the camera. They will eventually surface.

Comment

Working...
                                X