Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: One day left !

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
    Today's PB is a LOT more homogeneous than 20 yrs ago.
    Chris, when look at the photo you posted showing a close up of the corner joint the sawn edges remind me of oriented strand board (OSB). But the uncut surface doesn't look anything like OSB.

Do you buy this stuff at your local home center? Is it called particle board?

Comment

Re: One day left !

Particle board. Home Depot in the DFW area. Ought to be the same in Houston.

Definitely more homogenenous than the particle board of old.

Originally posted by Herman Trivilino View Post
      Chris, when look at the photo you posted showing a close up of the corner joint the sawn edges remind me of oriented strand board (OSB). But the uncut surface doesn't look anything like OSB.

Do you buy this stuff at your local home center? Is it called particle board?
      I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.
      OS MTMs http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=220388
      Swope TM http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=221818
      Econowave and Audio Nirvana AN10 fullrange http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=216841
      Imperial Russian Stouts http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...=1#post1840444
      LECBOS. http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ghlight=lecbos

Comment

Re: on Sale - $55/pr (drivers & XO)

It can go right next to it w/out issue, but it seems like it would be restricted right at the bottom.
        The center of the port is actually 1-7/8" from the "floor" of the enclosure.

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
        return to the source
        leviathan system thread
        deadhorse thread
        shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

just wanted to say thanks - i bought a couple pair of the ND105's to try a long time ago during the big sale, and just found time for a build (shockingly enough, just before i needed them as a gift...). i took a few liberties with the cabinet dimensions (which is now a 36" skinny tower, 5"w x 5.5" deep), made from 'nominal' 3/4" pine and half a dozen braces, and i'm really impressed with the overall quality and the woofer's performance.

(one of the reasons i picked up the drivers is that i'd considered making a pair of neo's only 4" deep to sit wall-mounted and match my flatscreen on the wall, so this was not only a gift, but a proof-of-concept run).

once i get the new camera charged up i'll put up a few pics. now i just have to figure out what color i'm supposed to stain them... anyhow, we, and presumably my aunt, will appreciate the work that went into this design
          TM (RS125/TB25-302), TM RS150S / Vifa BC25SC06, RS150-4 / Vifa ML-TL, 3CR-AL Ultra Budget: Electric Blue TM, TMM, MTM, Dragonflies , Mounties: Mini HT Satellite,sub for minions

Comment

I don't know if anybody else has noticed but the ND105-4 is back on sale for $14.90. If you've been wanting to build a pair of Nano Neos, now is a good time to buy drivers.

Comment

Go

chris, did you ever post fr and ohm plots for this project anywhere?

thanks
              david
              ________
              New Jersey Marijuana Dispensaries
              Last edited by blue934; 04-11-2011, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kornphlake View Post
                I don't know if anybody else has noticed but the ND105-4 is back on sale for $14.90. If you've been wanting to build a pair of Nano Neos, now is a good time to buy drivers.
                Do you know for how long?

Maybe the duration of the Jan/Feb flyer?

Comment

Yeah that'd be nice, that's about the time I intend on buying parts for these badboys.

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
                  return to the source
                  leviathan system thread
                  deadhorse thread
                  shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

Re: Here you go.

Originally posted by blue934 View Post
                    chris, did you ever post fr and ohm plots for this project anywhere?

thanks
                    david
                    As you can see, for a 4 ohm woofer, the impedance plot is quite strong, barely breaking 5 ohms. Should be an easy load for ANY amp. Also, the Fb is spot on at 40 Hz.

Impedance plot (both channels) after about 5 months of use, with the $7 XO, as initially published. The response plot was done by Dennis in Grinnell in October.

I DO haave revised XOs in my Nano Neos album, which should lower that rise between 2k and 3k. It breaks my initial budget however. Aside from that, I'd say they're pleasantly +/-2dB.

Chris
                    Attached Files

Comment

Do you know for how long?

Maybe the duration of the Jan/Feb flyer?
                      http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=290-212

I'm guessing until the end of February, since that's what it says next to the price, didn't they extend the sale a few days beyond the advertised cut off date last time it was on sale?

Comment

Originally posted by kornphlake View Post
                        http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=290-212

I'm guessing until the end of February, since that's what it says next to the price, didn't they extend the sale a few days beyond the advertised cut off date last time it was on sale?
                        (oops - missed that)

Yeah, last year they were in the Jan/Feb flyer at the regular price, then dropped to $12 for Mar/Apr, and AGAIN for the May/Jun flyer!

I'm gettin' 8 (for 2 pair of Nano Neos and one pair of "ntns").

Just ran the numbers. A pair of Nano Neos (with the "non-budget" XO from my Nano Neos album) will be $75/pair. The "ntn" will be $110/pair.
                        Last edited by Chris Roemer; 12-30-2010, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Go

thanks chris.
                          a friend wants me to build him these but his samsung 500 reciever is a bit of a lightweight methinks so i'm a bit cautious.
                          5ohms should be ok tho.

david
                          ________
                          IOLITE HANDHELD VAPORIZER REVIEWS
                          Last edited by blue934; 04-11-2011, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Re: Here you go.

As you can see, for a 4 ohm woofer, the impedance plot is quite strong, barely breaking 5 ohms. Should be an easy load for ANY amp. Also, the Fb is spot on at 40 Hz.

Impedance plot (both channels) after about 5 months of use, with the $7 XO, as initially published. The response plot was done by Dennis in Grinnell in October.

I DO haave revised XOs in my Nano Neos album, which should lower that rise between 2k and 3k. It breaks my initial budget however. Aside from that, I'd say they're pleasantly +/-2dB.

Chris
                            Interesting place for the peak, I find that helps with voice intelligibility. I puprosely designed a similar peak (though shifted up ~ 500Hz) into my TV speakers and it made voices easier to pick out and understand at lower volumes.

Comment

I heard these at DIY Iowa 2010. I got the parts to build a pair yesterday. This will be my New Year's weekend project. Thanks for sharing this Chris. I've also got the parts to Ron E's Krystals. I'll be playing some sweet sounds before too long. :D
                              Mike
                              "We're speaker geeks, not speaker nerds. Nerds make money!" Marty H
                              Bismarck, North Dakota
                              My Current System: HiFiMe DIY T3 Amp, Kenwood Basic C1 Preamp, and Paul Carmody Sunflowers
                              My Garage System TPS3116D2 Amp, DIY PS 95 Speakers, DC 130 Sub

Comment

Go

has anyone had any issues with xmax on these? quickly modeling them in bassbox with 10w, they didn't seem to like anything below 200hz.?

david
                                ________
                                Squirting milk
                                Last edited by blue934; 04-11-2011, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X