LECBOS - New MTM Design $120/Pair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LECBOS - New MTM Design $120/Pair

Yes, friends, here's the deal you've been waiting for. A bargain MTM, 90 db sensitivity at 8 ohms for about $60 Each. Build 'em, gift 'em, do a pair for that special someone...
    The first 100 callers will get... :rolleyes:

As previously promised: LECBOS

Lou's Speaker Site [speakers.lonesaguaro.com]
    "Different" is objective, "better" is subjective. Taste is not a provable fact.
    Where are you John Galt? I may not be worthy, but I'm ready.

Re: LECBOS - New MTM Design $120/Pair

Cool way to use them bargains!

It looks like your crossover frequency is around 3200Hz. There might be some comb filtering occurring between 2kHz and 3.5kHz. If you move off axis by 30 degrees, can you hear any major changes to the sound?

I saw that you did some individual driver measurements (on the project page). Have you done any system measurements on- and off-axis?

-Charlie
    Charlie's Audio Pages: http://audio.claub.net

Comment

Lou,
      Good job! You have made many people happy. I envy your ability and your willingness to share with the diy community. Thank you.
      Howard

Comment

Originally posted by charlielaub View Post
        Cool way to use them bargains!

It looks like your crossover frequency is around 3200Hz. There might be some comb filtering occurring between 2kHz and 3.5kHz. If you move off axis by 30 degrees, can you hear any major changes to the sound?

I saw that you did some individual driver measurements (on the project page). Have you done any system measurements on- and off-axis?
        No, there are no perceptible lobing issues. For their intended purpose, (the wall of the garage) any lobing will be moot anyway -- room acoustics will be a much bigger issue.

I don't usually bother with measurements after I've voiced them by ear. If they sound right to me, there's no point in it. If I can't hear a problem, I won't bother chasing it -- especially for $60. My test rig doesn't use the same signal chain as my music, [or account for room acoustics, or badly mastered recordings... ] I can tweak and make them sound different --"better" is subjective. :rolleyes:
        Now if these were an array of Accutons, with $20K of electronics behind them maybe...

Comment

For a second there, I almost thought you said "Lesbos." ;)

Comment

Nice job Lou. That's a great buy on the woofers.
            Dave
            http://www.pellegreneacoustics.com/

Trench Seam Method for MDF
            https://picasaweb.google.com/101632266659473725850

Comment

For a second there, I almost thought you said "Lesbos." ;)
              Don't forget I came up with Dominatrix for Curt.:eek:
              Only someone from NoCal would think of an island in Greece.:p

Comment

Originally posted by LouC View Post
                Don't forget I came up with Dominatrix for Curt.
                speaking of curt... i feel like comparisons between these and the tritrix are inevitable. 8 ohm mtm, paper cone woofer, same price (basically). so who will be the first ported tritrix owner to throw together a pair of these and give us all some thoughts?

EDIT: after posting, just saw that you even mention in the writeup on your page that the goal with these was to give the tritrix some competition. great minds think alike i guess. at least thats what i'll tell myself.

Comment

Originally posted by absolootbs View Post
                  speaking of curt... i feel like comparisons between these and the tritrix are inevitable. 8 ohm mtm, paper cone woofer, same price (basically). so who will be the first ported tritrix owner to throw together a pair of these and give us all some thoughts?

EDIT: after posting, just saw that you even mention in the writeup on your page that the goal with these was to give the tritrix some competition. great minds think alike i guess. at least thats what i'll tell myself.
                  Indeed...
                  The question is for someone looking for a nice budget set of speakers, which is the better bang for 120 bucks? :D

Comment

Those look really sweet!

I sure hope when I get my mtm's done, they live up to my expectations...

Pretty sure that yours are better, though!

Mark
                    You go your way, I'll go mine. I don't care if we get there on time.

~Pink Floyd

Comment

Nice job Lou. Another welcome addition to the budget class DIY.
                      No matter where you go, there you are.
                      Website

Comment

Why mine will be "better" of course!:D

The big difference is that you know the Dayton drivers will be around, these are both buyouts so they may disappear at any time. The tweeter will likely be around (or something similar), but the mid-woofs are the "deal" in these.

Comment

Would you say these are an upgrade from the Lou C "Topaz", my current shop speakers?

Comment

You convinced me! I ordered the parts for a pair last night. This morning I'm wondering if I shouldn't just snag another 4 to six sets of drivers "just in case".

I like the straightforward build. Appreciate doing the XO to avoid flush mounting for a change.

Thanks again.
                            I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.
                            OS MTMs http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=220388
                            Swope TM http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=221818
                            Econowave and Audio Nirvana AN10 fullrange http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=216841
                            Imperial Russian Stouts http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...=1#post1840444
                            LECBOS. http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ghlight=lecbos

Comment

Nice Job Lou for 60 bucks a speaker they look like a steal to me.

Take it easy
                              Jay
                              "I like Brewski's threads, they always end up being hybrid beer/speaker threads based on the name of his newest creation." - Greywarden

Breakfast Stout - HiVi RT2 II/Aurasound NS6
                              Imperial Russian Stout - Vifa DX25/Fountek FW146/(2) Fountek FW168s - Built by Fastbike
                              Ruination 2.5 way - Vifa DX25/Fountek FW168
                              Levitation TM
                              - Vifa BC25SG15/Fountek FW168

Comment

Working...
                              X