Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O/T MP3 Players

Well,
    My 13 Year old has decided, (after seeing her friend has an iPod Touch) she needs a new MP3 Player...
    So, after much discussion...(her friend's family has money to burn...) my wife and I told her we would split the cost of a nice player...There is a bunch of garbage out there. (also trying to teach her the value of a dollar here...) She's a good kid, comes home, does her homework right away, (without having to be told), gets straight A's... Including the "End Of Grade Testing" putting her in the top 5% or so in her class.

She wants a touch unit, (preferably iPod) I am pushing for the Zune. My wife had been looking at cheaper stuff...but the review process is inconsistent, go figure.:rolleyes:
    I am not a fan of Apple's proprietary crap, (I feel like between them an Sony, we are so inundated with different formats, DRM, and "protected" content"...my head throbs just thinking about it!!!) I bought my wife a 4 gig ZEN a couple years back when iPods were all the rage...just for this reason...
    Although, I must confess, I like Itunes interface. I have Zune Marketplace on LIVE, never use it much. but I feel the connectivity to all things Microsoft in our house would be a benefit... (uhhh...sorry for being a hypocrite...:rolleyes

SO...open up guys...Who has experience with what? I've looked at crap, IPod, Zune, iRiver...Creative...you name it!
    Thanks as always...
    If I can't afford it...I don't need it

Re: O/T MP3 Players

I've got an Archos 5 and my wife has an Archos 605 for personal video players. The Archos 5 has a touch screen and built in wifi but I'm not sure how available it is now that the new versions of the Archos 5 with the andriod OS are out.

In the past I've seen a few creative players and thought they were decent for being non main stream mp3 players. In general the drawback with not going Zune or Ipod is the lack of third party accessories for the players in my eyes.

Take it easy
    Jay
    "I like Brewski's threads, they always end up being hybrid beer/speaker threads based on the name of his newest creation." - Greywarden

Breakfast Stout - HiVi RT2 II/Aurasound NS6
    Imperial Russian Stout - Vifa DX25/Fountek FW146/(2) Fountek FW168s - Built by Fastbike
    Ruination 2.5 way - Vifa DX25/Fountek FW168
    Levitation TM
    - Vifa BC25SG15/Fountek FW168

Comment

Hi Kevin,

I have always had a very similar attitude about Apple as you. I truly dislike their proprietary, screw-the-customer policies and I still think they should have a FM tuner to their players to make them more versatile.

My daughter was exactly at this spot last xmas. We had already allowed her to use her babysitting money to buy a slim ipod of some sort (kind you shake sideways to change song), but she really wanted an itouch. So she sold her ipod to her sister (who sold her Creative to her Mom) and bought the itouch. I will admit it seems to be a very good player with a pretty slick interface.

There is always going to be a certain amount of status/inclusivity attached to what the kids are using and while I try not to bow to marketing pressure, its hard to force the kids into my non-comformist mode all the time. So while "all" the other kids have iphones, she at least has a itouch to keep up at a certain level.

So, while I use a Sandisk player, both my daughters have ipods of some form.
      Sigh...Andy.

Comment

i too am at the forefront of the "i hate apple" crowd. as much for their smug attitude and low value (not that their stuff's bad, it's just way overpriced for what you get), as for their proprietary business practices. HOWEVER, as much as it erks my entire being, i have always chosen some form of ipod for my media player. the interface is intuitive and everyone knows how to use it (nice that a friend or family member can pick it up and not have to figure out how to use the device before picking a new song/album/etc), and i think brewski hit the nail on the head when he mentioned the 3rd party accessories. ipod is leaps and bounds ahead of anyone else in terms of aftermarket support, both with functional accessories, as well as aesthetic ones. zune would probably be second, but even zune pales in comparison. if you're someone whos only concern is plugging in a pair of earbuds and listening to music, then that might not matter too much. but my guess is that your average 13 year old female is not going to be that person. for certain demographics (teenage girls being one of them) an mp3 player, much like a cell phone, is as much a fashion statement as it is a piece of consumer electronics (hence, why she wants the ipod in the first place). she'll have way more available to "customize" her player if it's an ipod than if it's anything else. on the other end of the spectrum, people like me could care less about having the "coolest ipod case around", but very much appreciate the range of functional accessories made specifically for the ipod, utilizing it's docking port. i have an add on in one of my cars that integrates it (with control and charging) into my oem stereo. i have a bluetooth dongle that plugs directly into the dock port and transmits to a bluetooth receiver i have hooked up to an avr, using the ipods battery to power the dongle. hooked up to a different avr i have a dock that puts the ipods menus on my tv and lets me control everything from my universal remote. and i'm sure there's more i'm forgetting... but none of them would be feasible without jumping through a whole lot more hoops, if i hadn't started with an ipod.

Comment

I went the Zune route for myself, it's a nice player and the Zune software is pretty slick too. Basically it came down to the fact that iTunes is more or less a wash with Zune when running on a Windows system. Both Apple and MS also have the exact same fustrations with "jumbled" cover art and tracks when syncing mixes and multi-CD albums that can take a lot of fussy hand editing work to sort out. This was something that caught me off guard when I "upgraded" from a drop-and-drag compatible Creative player.

Both of my kids and wife went the iPod route and love them.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin G. View Post
            Well...
            ... She's a good kid, comes home, does her homework right away, (without having to be told), gets straight A's... Including the "End Of Grade Testing" putting her in the top 5% or so in her class....
            There is your answer. Get her what she wants. I am an apple fan so I am biased, but Apple has the best for portable music.

As an aside I have started to turn now that Apple is number 1 and Microsoft is number 2. A completely different subject then this one.

Comment

There is no replacement for the Apple App Store. If your daughter wants an iPod touch over her current MP3 player Its because of the interface and App Store, which are the best. I don't like Apple but no one else comes close.I talked my brother into a Zune HD and he sold it for an iPhone and is much happier.

I am a PC.

Comment

I am a PC.
                ROFL
                ...WOW great responses guys...It is wonderful to have such a wide view from different sides.

There is always going to be a certain amount of status/inclusivity attached to what the kids are using and while I try not to bow to marketing pressure, its hard to force the kids into my non-comformist mode all the time. So while "all" the other kids have iphones, she at least has a itouch to keep up at a certain level.
                but my guess is that your average 13 year old female is not going to be that person. for certain demographics (teenage girls being one of them) an mp3 player, much like a cell phone, is as much a fashion statement as it is a piece of consumer electronics (hence, why she wants the ipod in the first place).
                EXACTLY! perfectly stated.

There is your answer. Get her what she wants. I am an apple fan so I am biased, but Apple has the best for portable music.
                Well said, and I agree, but alas as the father, and as anal as I am about Tech, I can't help but point out her best "bang for her buck " (and mine...)

She has already amazed me, by her reasearch today...(a chip off the ol blockhead...my wife hates it when I shop for new tech...)

I explained the third party stuff to my wife, and she has already stopped looking at the "low end" of the spectrum...
                If I can't afford it...I don't need it

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin G. View Post
                  ROFL
                  ...WOW great responses guys...It is wonderful to have such a wide view from different sides.

EXACTLY! perfectly stated.

Well said, and I agree, but alas as the father, and as anal as I am about Tech, I can't help but point out her best "bang for her buck " (and mine...)

She has already amazed me, by her reasearch today...(a chip off the ol blockhead...my wife hates it when I shop for new tech...)

I explained the third party stuff to my wife, and she has already stopped looking at the "low end" of the spectrum...
                  Things haven't changed much. When I was a kid, the cost of entry into high school acceptance was a pair of luxury priced Adidas (around $15 at the time)! ;)

Comment

Working...
                  X