You know ya got it bad when...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You know ya got it bad when...

You're watching some human interest piece on the TV and you start checking out the speakers behind the person being interviewed. I couldn't even tell you what the story was about but the person of interest was a older gent who was a trumpet player. They had him sitting down in his home and in the background I could see a speaker. Obviously using a Focal tweeter and woofers I couldn't readily identify but it looked a bit on the DIY side of things. The man must dig his tunes as much as we do here. Too bad I was so busy ogling the background to know the rest of the story.

So, what have I missed around here?

shawn
    My favorite woofer is a Labrador retriever.

Re: You know ya got it bad when...

Ha Ha!

I'm definitely with ya on that one! 'S sorta shameful sometimes if you stop and think about it. "Human Interest Piece", "One Man's Struggle", and so on... pile on the pathos, ad infinitum-- REALLY lay it on HEAVY! :p

And all I can think about is: "Those are some COOL looking speakers! Wonder how they sound?" And, "Are those McIntosh amps?!" :eek:

And then someone else hears me wondering aloud, and scolds me-- imagine! "You're pathetic!"

"Oh, I'm terribly sorry! :o What was the poor man talking about again??" :D
    Because the MUSIC matters...

Comment

This could be interesting - what speakers have you seen in movies or tv?

I recently saw a Client Eastwood movie from the 70's with a pair of SAE Electrostats in the background. I had a pair and really wish I had them back.

There is a new movie out with P. Diddy - looks like a pair of Wilsons behind his desk.

Comment

It's not just with the speakers. I look at the furniture in the movie. Especially if it is a historical flick.
        http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Looked at an old Miami Vice episode the other day. Crocket & Tubbs were searching a room some bad guyd had already "tossed" but among the rubble I spotted pair of Mach Ones :D

Comment

Does anyone recognize the monkey coffins on the set of Vh1's That Metal Show?
            My projects
            https://picasaweb.google.com/112307725038877176664

Comment

Originally posted by dwigle View Post
              There is a new movie out with P. Diddy - looks like a pair of Wilsons behind his desk.
              i've wondered what those were every time i saw the preview. figured they had to be something nice.

anyone else ever noticed that joey and chandler have a pair of martin logans (at least i'm pretty sure they're martin logans) in their apartment on friends?

Comment

Originally posted by absolootbs View Post
                i've wondered what those were every time i saw the preview. figured they had to be something nice.

anyone else ever noticed that joey and chandler have a pair of martin logans (at least i'm pretty sure they're martin logans) in their apartment on friends?
                Yes, Joey and Chandler had Martin Logans in their pad. I also always check out the stuff on these sets. I often see speakers I don't recognize and wonder what the story is behind those.....
                Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Speaking of speakers on sets . . .

These are what I always think of.

R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
                  Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                  "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Know the feeling - on House, he has a pair of speaks withh ceramic m/w's and a planar tweet that I haven't figured out yet. On the credits he lists SOTA, but I haven't deduced his transducers - yet.
                    When you run make sure you run,
                    to something not away from, cause lies don't need an aeroplane to chase you anywhere.

Comment

That Metal Show = JBL's -CJB

Comment

House has also had a pair of Infinity Cascade in his office.
                        Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

You know what's funny?

I was on the phone with my dad the same time that interview was on, and said, "He's got some nice speakers! Focal tweeters for sure!!" Didn't recognize the midbasses for certain, but I also had no clue what the story was with the trumpet-player. We are 'peas in a pod', my buddy!

It was 60 minutes wasn't it?

Not too much around here...
                          Later,
                          Wolf
                          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                          https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

I still have fantasies about that huge speaker Michael J Fox plugs his stratocaster into on Back to The Future.
                            www.gattiweb.com

Comment

Originally posted by David Gatti View Post
                              I still have fantasies about that huge speaker Michael J Fox plugs his stratocaster into on Back to The Future.
                              Dude be careful. If you blow that speaker it has the power to throw you across a room. That's some serious stuff man :D

Comment

Working...
                              X