X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MSaturn
    Seasoned Veteran
    • Jun 2009

Re: ZX Spectrum: HiVi M6A + BG Neo3 PDRW

There are a few possbilities, there: that the rendering for those files naturally smooths things by 1/24th or 1/12th octave, which would effectively eliminate those spikes (unsmoothed FR/phase look a lot like that) - or there's some logarithmic nastiness going on ..
    I am trolling you.

Comment

• Filius
      • Jun 2010

Paul: I'm very intrigued. What is the sensitivity on these?

Comment

• Filius
        • Jun 2010

Can you get the sensitivity just by looking at the response graph? i.e. if the response falls within 80 and 85db for the most part, is that also the sensitivity?

Comment

• ligs
          Seasoned Veteran
          • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Paul Carmody
          I added the FR graph.
          It's crossed just shy of 2000 Hz. Don't try this at home, kids. :rolleyes:
          I am really admiring at the simplicity of the crossover.
          Humm, I wonder how would Klipsch 6.5 buyout would sound in this arrangement with minor modification of the XO. PE says K 6.5 has the same sensitivity as this HIVi driver.

Comment

• ligs
            Seasoned Veteran
            • Aug 2009

Paul,

One question about the 8 ohm series resistor in the tweeter high pass. If I reduce the reistance to 6 or 4 ohms, would the slope of the high pass change?

Thanks in advance

Comment

• Wolf
              Obsessed & Proud of It
              • Sep 2005

Originally posted by ligs
              Paul,

One question about the 8 ohm series resistor in the tweeter high pass. If I reduce the reistance to 6 or 4 ohms, would the slope of the high pass change?

Thanks in advance
              Nope. In that position, all it would do is change the attenuation or level of the output the driver yields in comparison to the midbass. All resistors do is attenuate or damp in a selective application. You can't change the slope with a resistor alone.

Later,
              Wolf
              "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
              "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
              "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
              "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
              https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

• Paul Carmody
                Seasoned Veteran
                • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Filius
                Can you get the sensitivity just by looking at the response graph? i.e. if the response falls within 80 and 85db for the most part, is that also the sensitivity?
                Yeah, that sounds about right. I'd say the sensitivity of these is about 83-84 dB--which is pretty much par for a 2-way with a 7" woofer with "full Baffle Step Compensation."
                Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

• Paul Carmody
                  Seasoned Veteran
                  • Nov 2006

I am really admiring at the simplicity of the crossover.
                  Humm, I wonder how would Klipsch 6.5 buyout would sound in this arrangement with minor modification of the XO. PE says K 6.5 has the same sensitivity as this HIVi driver.
                  The crossover is reliant on a lot more than just the sensitivity of the driver. Because it's a metal-cone driver, there is a notch filter that targets the cone breakup. I'm also very careful on how I shape the midrange response of the 7" 2-ways. So I wouldn't do a version with the Klipsch buyout unless I heard it in person.
                  If you want to try it and tweak that's fine, but it's no longer my design. ;)

Comment

• Filius
                    • Jun 2010

Big soundstage and good imaging and all that? I assume so, but you don't say so specifically in either of your write-ups, as you do for other designs.

Sorry to pepper you with questions, just trying to decide on my next build and these look interesting. I want to make the right decision since I probably won't be doing another for quite a while. But no pressure!! ;)

Comment

• ligs
                      Seasoned Veteran
                      • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Wolf
                      Nope. In that position, all it would do is change the attenuation or level of the output the driver yields in comparison to the midbass. All resistors do is attenuate or damp in a selective application. You can't change the slope with a resistor alone.

Later,
                      Wolf
                      Thanks for the answer. What about putting the resistor immediately before the tweeter? Would that change the slope of rolloff?

Comment

• ligs
                        Seasoned Veteran
                        • Aug 2009

The crossover is reliant on a lot more than just the sensitivity of the driver. Because it's a metal-cone driver, there is a notch filter that targets the cone breakup. I'm also very careful on how I shape the midrange response of the 7" 2-ways. So I wouldn't do a version with the Klipsch buyout unless I heard it in person.
                        If you want to try it and tweak that's fine, but it's no longer my design. ;)
                        Would you be interested in doing a Klipsch buyout version if I send you a pair of K-6.5 woofers at my expense?

Comment

• Paul Carmody
                          Seasoned Veteran
                          • Nov 2006

Would you be interested in doing a Klipsch buyout version if I send you a pair of K-6.5 woofers at my expense?
                          It'd be no problem, normally. However, I don't know if I have any baffles that would suit it. (and it's REALLY hard to get woodworking time with a baby in the house)

Do you have the T/S parameters for the woofer? I'll look and see if it fits into something I have.

Comment

• Wolf
                            Obsessed & Proud of It
                            • Sep 2005

Thanks for the answer. What about putting the resistor immediately before the tweeter? Would that change the slope of rolloff?
                            No. Resistors do not change the slope/rolloff, but can change damping at the knee of the rolloff.
                            Later,
                            Wolf
                            "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                            "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                            "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                            "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                            https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

• marscoast
                              Midrange Member
                              • Jan 2009

Yes, for all intents and purposes, you have the trademark on that one. I just had to do it this time to fit the theme. I thought of you when I did it.

And now I'm gonna try real hard not to name my speakers after ancient computers anymore. :o
                              Aw, no "Timex Sinclair" forthcoming? My first personal computer... I suppose you could call it that.

10 print "Hello World"
                              20 goto 10

Comment

• ligs
                                Seasoned Veteran
                                • Aug 2009

It'd be no problem, normally. However, I don't know if I have any baffles that would suit it. (and it's REALLY hard to get woodworking time with a baby in the house)

Do you have the T/S parameters for the woofer? I'll look and see if it fits into something I have.
                                John has tested this particular Klipsch 6.5 buyout driver in his blog. Look at Oct 31's entry in

And there has been a lot of discussion in Tech Talk on this driver.

Want a second or third opinion about your speaker cabinet design or other audio related problem? Post your question or comment on the Technical Discussion Board. Hundreds of technicians, engineers, and hobbyists, nationwide read and discuss electronics related questions each week. We welcome your participation

I borrowed your high pass XO with a simple LC 2nd order electrical(1.8 mh, 15 uf and a tank of 0.68 uf--3 ohm across the 1.8 mH 14 AWG air core) to the K-6.5 woofer. The system sounds very smooth and quite polite and may need less attenuation to the tweeter? I can not find any irrating quality at all.

Let me know if and when you can go ahead with the design and I can act accordingly.

Thank You.

Comment

Working...